Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:44 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree with your underlying premise. The ideology of our current leadership is such that government is believed to be the answer to all of America's problems. We are to believe that without the government holding our hand, giving us things, providing us with advice, that we simply cannot sustain ourselves.

My only hope is that you didn't vote for Barack Obama (I suspect you didn't). If so, there's really no room to complain.

Where do you get all this HOOEY? I don't know any one that even talks like this. Democrat or Republican.

We are to believe that without the government holding our hand, giving us things, providing us with advice, that we simply cannot sustain ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 06:31 PM

76 posts, read 57,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Where do you get all this HOOEY? I don't know any one that even talks like this. Democrat or Republican.
I agree, the Democrats seldom if ever talk like that.

But they legislate like that, every day.

A major part of their agenda is to fool people into thinking that is NOT part of their agenda.

Which is why I was so astounded at Kerry's flat-out statement of agreement. Enough so to start this thread to comment on it.

Finding a Democrat, high in government, being that honest about what he actually wants government to do, is nothing short of astonishing.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:33 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalboy14844 View Post
I agree, the Democrats seldom if ever talk like that.

But they legislate like that, every day.

A major part of their agenda is to fool people into thinking that is NOT part of their agenda.

Which is why I was so astounded at Kerry's flat-out statement of agreement. Enough so to start this thread to comment on it.

Finding a Democrat, high in government, being that honest about what he actually wants government to do, is nothing short of astonishing.
great reply. Can't rep you though.

Democrats do everything under the guise of 'helping' you. No matter what they say, you need to be able to 'read' between the lines to get the implication (and impact) of how they are about to 'help' you.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:46 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
You say that like it's a good thing.

That any person high in the U.S. government can say such a thing and not be challenged or questioned, say something very grave and worrisome about the United States of America.
So the score is No one takes Biden, the vice president of the USA seriously, no one takes Kerry Sec of stste seriously, no one can possibly know what obama means when he says things that seem to be perfectly clear......I see a pattern.

The highest levels of elected government which no one can takes seriously have been put there by an overwhelmed and confused electorate. When the poor choices go away we are still left with an overwhelmed and confused electorate who keeps the like of Pelosi, jackson lee and Reid in lucrative careers from which they pass laws which saddle us with a heavy yoke of burden from which they are immune.

Kerry think human caused gloabal warming is as dangerous as terrorism and WMDs. Kerry the guy who kept his yacht out of state to avoid paying taxes while Biden says paying tax is patriotic.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
Quote:
Government, of course, produces nothing.
So this paper with $20, $50 and $100 I carry with me to buy staff that is actually the property of the government and made by the government doesn't exist? Wow, I must be imaging things.

Time to put away the emotions. That you got your panties in a bunch about this in the first place is odd.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:04 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
So this paper with $20, $50 and $100 I carry with me to buy staff that is actually the property of the government and made by the government doesn't exist? Wow, I must be imaging things.
Could not resist. Counterfeiting fiat currency, our magic green toilet paper, is not "providing" anything to anyone. All it really does is steal indirectly from the people whatever value they have created for themselves.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:09 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
My example perfectly contradicts the emotional whining of the OP actually. Should you want to dispute the value of currency, you can start a thread on your desire to move back to the barter system.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
So this paper with $20, $50 and $100 I carry with me to buy staff that is actually the property of the government and made by the government doesn't exist?
Is there a coherent sentence in English in there somewhere?

Quote:
Wow, I must be imaging things.
Acknowledging there is a problem, is the first step toward solving the problem. Congratulations.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
I was watching Secretary of State John Kerry this morning, giving testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. Sorry I don't have a link, it was live TV.

At one point he said that some people believe that the purpose of government was to help people, and to give them things.

I thought that he was going to point out that that was not so, as part of his speech outlining why we must fight ISIS.

To my astonishment, he said instead, "And I agree with them."

This is a very high official in the United States government saying this.
Since he was talking about ISIS and our effort to defeat them, then yes, it is the government's job to give us the protection against our enemies.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-25-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Since he was talking about ISIS and our effort to defeat them,
It might be conceivable that you believed this before I included the actual Youtube video in this thread. But since I have now included it, long before you typed this, your explanation is no longer believeable, and never was.

Kerry made the point that Code Pink and others believe that government's job was to take care of them an give them things like health care. Then he somehow jumped to the conclusion that since this is so, then govt's job was also to fight against ISIS.

He had it completely backwards, of course. One of the Fed govt's jobs is to defend us against those who attack us, kill us etc., which ISIS is clearly doing. How he gets from that to "giving us health care" remains unexplained, and in fact is a nonexistent connection.

Government's job has always been to protect its citizens' rights. That includes protecting them against attack, coercion... and theft.

Since "giving" us health care requires govt to first take resources away from some citizens, for purposes other than running government, it is in fact theft itself, and something the Fed govt has no authority whatsoever, to do.

For the U.S. Secretary of State to come right out and say he thinks it IS one of government's jobs, is nothing short of astonishing.

In fact, it is what Thomas Jefferson was referring to when he mentioned government usurping power it was not assigned, and becoming abusive of people's rights rather than protecting them. And he proposed a stark remedy for that act, as you will recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies