Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They went after the bigger crooks at first. They found out it's really hard to beat the government.
Yep. Especially when the government 'beats' you

Ferguson wasn't the first time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 01:37 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Maybe colleges are not rackets but the government subsidized student loans certainly were and still are. the government should subsidize the students with a Federal Loan System (loans at the discount rate and paid back with a permanent percentage of the students subsequent income) and not the banks.

Good for OWS.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:46 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
It's not just colleges there are many trade schools that also prey on people particularly veterans. They have been scrutinizing graduation rates and employment, it's about time. It's not just about the money, some have wasted a few years of their lives with the false promises.

It would be nice to see a few criminal convictions for fraud.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:07 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's not just colleges there are many trade schools that also prey on people particularly veterans. They have been scrutinizing graduation rates and employment, it's about time. It's not just about the money, some have wasted a few years of their lives with the false promises.

It would be nice to see a few criminal convictions for fraud.
I feel bad for those people but most of the time someone gets ripped off by car dealers, home loans, shady investments or sham schools.....they didn't do their homework with regards to a major decision....or just got greedy like some that got taken by guys like Madoff.

I'm not blaming the victim but just expressing an obvious truth that there will ALWAYS be some sort of shady deal going on as the govt. can only shut them down AFTER the fact. So, to protect yourself you really have to educate yourself and have some diligence and if you SUCK at understanding stuff like this then ask for help from an independent source.

I've helped friends negotiate car prices and make decisions about insurance products, home refinancing, 401k contributions...you name it...and by the same token I've gotten similar help on other topics from friends where I was out of my element.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:10 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Actually the worst bailouts were not approved by our Government.

The Federal Reserve issued TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS in corporate bailouts to corporations and banks around the globe.

The Federal Reserve must be audited and reigned in before we can even think about fixing Wall Street.
Don't worry that card will be played. They already got the audit the Fed bill going. (HR 24)? The FED will be pointed at for their issues while the so-called wiser ones in the Penthouse wait for the can to be kicked upward. (NM they are the same people serving on the boards) They are pushing Basel III compliance also. This will put on more pressure. It appears 2018 has been a target date set long ago, so it is no wonder they are getting impatient.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I would love to see this idea go viral in private social-advocacy groups. I think it is an excellent concept that could be improved upon.
Unfortunately, I saw no evidence that individuals were actually no longer in debt. There is no tracking of any kind that I saw. Just some blocked out purchase agreements. Jubilees, as I understand usually work with individuals. Churches, for example, have done this. Just purchasing a lot of alleged debt isn't showing evidence of debt relief to anybody. The kind of money that was spent was quite significant with no tracking or evidence of "debt-relief" abolishment (?). The only thing that seemed somewhat clear was that money was going to companies who sell debt. (those names were blocked out)

Last edited by CDusr; 09-18-2014 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I feel bad for those people but most of the time someone gets ripped off by car dealers, home loans, shady investments or sham schools.....they didn't do their homework with regards to a major decision....or just got greedy like some that got taken by guys like Madoff.

I'm not blaming the victim but just expressing an obvious truth that there will ALWAYS be some sort of shady deal going on as the govt. can only shut them down AFTER the fact. So, to protect yourself you really have to educate yourself and have some diligence and if you SUCK at understanding stuff like this then ask for help from an independent source.

I've helped friends negotiate car prices and make decisions about insurance products, home refinancing, 401k contributions...you name it...and by the same token I've gotten similar help on other topics from friends where I was out of my element.
I have seen some of those people in a show room buying a car, they are easily taken advantage of and I can only imagine what happens with mortgages and other high priced items. Those living at the bottom don't have the slightest idea due to lack of education and if they don't have a family member or friend they are lost. Veterans that attended trade schools were a big issue even though they were mostly subsidized there was no question these companies were taking advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies