Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:13 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Who else thinks that Biden was Obama insurance policy?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vice President Biden acknowledged using a "poor choice of words" after referring to bankers that exploit U.S. troops as "Shylocks."

The vice president used the term during a talk Tuesday to a nonprofit that provides legal aid to those in need. But the term is considered by some to be an anti-Semitic term for Jews, and the head of the Anti-Defamation League put out a statement criticizing Biden.

"Shylock represents the medieval stereotype about Jews and remains an offensive characterization to this day. The Vice President should have been more careful," Abraham Foxman said, while still calling Biden friendly to the Jewish community

Biden says 'Shylocks' comment was 'poor choice of words' | Fox News

Biden is Catholic. The Catholics have been at war with the jews, as long as the muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:15 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,344,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Google and Wikipedia, increasing the perceived intellect of posters on internet forums since the late 1990's.

I bet even Uncle Joe didn't know the origin on the word until his staffers looked it up.
Actually I took AP English my last two years of high school, as well as college level reading courses. The works of the immortal bard were required reading.

Now go and take your pound of flesh elsewhere

Hell, my English teacher used to come down on me for the common use of "a lot" meaning many of an object in these United States. The origination of the word was a plot of land with a predefined size. As was told to me, many times "If you say you have a lot of pencils, it had better be enough to fill a 10,000 sq ft piece of land"

Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,604,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Actually I took AP English my last two years of high school, as well as college level reading courses. The works of the immortal bard were required reading.

Now go and take your pound of flesh elsewhere

Hell, my English teacher used to come down on me for the common use of "a lot" meaning many of an object in these United States. The origination of the word was a plot of land with a predefined size. As was told to me, many times "If you say you have a lot of pencils, it had better be enough to fill a 10,000 sq ft piece of land"
So.......no justification needed then, right.

If you hurry you can delete your post.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:26 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,344,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So.......no justification needed then, right.

If you hurry you can delete your post.
I'm not justifying anything, simply stating, you were wrong in your assumption.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:31 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Lol...oh well.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,084,400 times
I've never even heard that term before. I thought it might have been a cross between "shyster" and "Pollock."

Old 09-17-2014, 05:48 PM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:

Vice President Biden acknowledged using a "poor choice of words" after referring to bankers that exploit U.S. troops as "Shylocks."

The vice president used the term during a talk Tuesday to a nonprofit that provides legal aid to those in need. But the term is considered by some to be an anti-Semitic term for Jews, and the head of the Anti-Defamation League put out a statement criticizing Biden.

"Shylock represents the medieval stereotype about Jews and remains an offensive characterization to this day. The Vice President should have been more careful," Abraham Foxman said, while still calling Biden friendly to the Jewish community

And many on the left wonder why we call much of the "news' channels biased and why many on the left don't knoe about many thing that happen in real life "journalism".

"All three network morning shows on Wednesday ignored Joe Biden using a word many consider to be anti-Semitic. Giving a speech on Tuesday about legal issues facing veterans, the Vice President decried "Shylocks who took advantage of these women and men while overseas." [MP3 audio here.]
ABC's Good Morning America, NBC's Today and CBS This Morning all skipped Biden's latest gaffe. This is despite the fact that Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League criticized Biden, saying, "Shylock represents the medieval stereotype about Jews and remains an offensive characterization to this day." He added, "The vice president should have been more careful."
- See more at: Networks Ignore: While Talking About Money, Joe Biden Refers to 'Shylocks'
All three network morning shows on Wednesday ignored Joe Biden using a word many consider to be anti-Semitic. Giving a speech on Tuesday about legal issues facing veterans, the Vice President decried "Shylocks who took advantage of these women and men while overseas." [MP3 audio here.]
ABC's Good Morning America, NBC's Today and CBS This Morning all skipped Biden's latest gaffe. This is despite the fact that Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League criticized Biden, saying, "Shylock represents the medieval stereotype about Jews and remains an offensive characterization to this day." He added, "The vice president should have been more careful."
- See more at: Networks Ignore: While Talking About Money, Joe Biden Refers to 'Shylocks'

Old 09-17-2014, 05:50 PM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:

And many on the left wonder why we call much of the "news' channels biased and why many on the left don't know about many thing that happen in real life "journalism" and are called "low information voters".

If their favorite channels don't report it, they don't know anything about it.

"All three network morning shows on Wednesday ignored Joe Biden using a word many consider to be anti-Semitic. Giving a speech on Tuesday about legal issues facing veterans, the Vice President decried "Shylocks who took advantage of these women and men while overseas." [MP3 audio here.]

Old 09-17-2014, 05:55 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 15 hours ago)

27,541 posts, read 16,022,699 times
and America says poor choice of VP

Old 09-17-2014, 06:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,587,381 times
Shylock is a specifically anti-Semitic epithet...anyone with a passing familiarity with Jewish people would know this and not use it publicly.

Yes, I've read Merchant of Venice and know Shylock is actually an anti anti-Semitic character, but the usage is still derogatory in it's connotation Jews are out to swindle you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies