Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I didn't say he shouldn't have gone. He can do whatever he wants.

The problem is charity work like that has become a way to hold these chronically poor nations back. They are given just enough to survive but not enough to develop.

I believe strongly that charity and foreign aid are the biggest hindrance to the economic development of chronically poor countries. You see me as selfish. I see you as selfish for causing these nations to remain poor and unable to take care of themselves forever. I see myself as being realistic.

Again, billions and billions of dollars and untold man hours have poured into these countries for decades. Almost no change. These charity work and foreign aid have effectively destroyed these countries' ability to develop their own healthcare systems and create their own physicians.

It's time we try a new approach to help these countries.

Giving them fish just makes you feel good but it yields little result. We should be aiming to teach them how to fish instead.
Do a search and see how US financial aid is to be distributed to help these countries. The US just throws money at the head/government of these countries and these countries show no accountability on their part to show that the money is actually going where intended. Financial aid is just the US lining the pockets of countries that are our frenemies.

No different how our "transparent" federal government can't account for $619 billion in taxpayer dollars that has been "lost".

Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Do a search and see how US financial aid is to be distributed to help these countries. The US just throws money at the head/government of these countries and these countries show no accountability on their part to show that the money is actually going where intended. Financial aid is just the US lining the pockets of countries that are our frenemies.

No different how our "transparent" federal government can't account for $619 billion in taxpayer dollars that has been "lost".
Thank you for supporting what I said. Charity and foreign aid do nothing but hold back these countries.

It's time we stop these "feel good" aids and focus on another way to help.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post

Instead of throwing money, I would like to see them pay people to go and help, similar to what Rand does. It would be cheaper and we would actually know where the money is spent and visibly see results.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Instead of throwing money, I would like to see them pay people to go and help, similar to what Rand does. It would be cheaper and we would actually know where the money is spent and visibly see results.
Like I said, for the most part, the financial aid is nothing more than a payoff to our frenemies. They take the money, build a hut for a school in some village only the villagers can find, and in the eyes of the US the money is being used as intended. We've been giving money to certain countries for decades and nothing, I mean nothing, changed.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:41 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
No. I think he should work on getting those nations to create their own doctors and health care systems to deal with their own maimed. We have enough problems here as it is. He doesn't need to leave the country to find people who need help.

Again, billons of dollars and untold man hours have been poured into helping these chronically poor nations for decades. Almost nothing has changed. If it hasn't worked in the past, what makes you think it will work now?
He has done free surgeries in Kentucky for quite some time

Old 09-18-2014, 05:50 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
I didn't say he shouldn't have gone. He can do whatever he wants.

The problem is charity work like that has become a way to hold these chronically poor nations back. They are given just enough to survive but not enough to develop.

I believe strongly that charity and foreign aid are the biggest hindrance to the economic development of chronically poor countries. You see me as selfish. I see you as selfish for causing these nations to remain poor and unable to take care of themselves forever. I see myself as being realistic.

Again, billions and billions of dollars and untold man hours have poured into these countries for decades. Almost no change. These charity work and foreign aid have effectively destroyed these countries' ability to develop their own healthcare systems and create their own physicians.

It's time we try a new approach to help these countries.

Giving them fish just makes you feel good but it yields little result. We should be aiming to teach them how to fish instead.
Yes lets NOT have operations that allow people to see and therefore take better care of themselves.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Who's disappointed? Personally, I'm indifferent about charity work. I do think that it is a pointless endeavor. Give a man a fish and you fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you fed him for life.

All these chronically poor nations need to learn to help themselves. Billions have been poured into charity and foreign aid and little has changed.
as trillions have been spent on social programs to help the poor since the great society of lbj and nothing has changed in fact it has become wose

Old 09-18-2014, 06:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Give a man a fish and you fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you fed him for life.

All these chronically poor nations need to learn to help themselves. Billions have been poured into charity and foreign aid and little has changed.
You are talking about education. We need to educate our own people first, and then we might be in a better position to help others.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Who's disappointed? Personally, I'm indifferent about charity work. I do think that it is a pointless endeavor. Give a man a fish and you fed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you fed him for life.

That's just silly. Our country has resources, and doctors willing to go to other countries to help out children with harelips or other common issues. What's wrong with that? If they don't do it, no one in their own country is going to decide to do it. If they had the means and resources, people would already be doing it there.

Rand Paul not only does this in Guatemala, but he's done no-cost or low-cost eye surgeries for people in this country as well. Think of all the uninsured or newly insured but unable to pay their outrageous deductibles, who will put off cataract surgery because they simply cannot afford it. If someone has the skills and resources to help these people, I have no problem with that.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:05 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
It is a good gesture, money where his mouth is. We see who really cares about the poor, not the Democrats grilling precooked steaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies