Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:42 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

A small but non insignificant event revealed that Obama did not attend the funeral for a General recently killed in action. And, yet he sent representatives to the funeral of the thug and criminal Mike Brown.

How do you think the Generals feel about that? If they are at odds publicly it is suppressed. POTUS is the captain of the ship and they won't stray far from the line. That said, this embarrassing technique has unfolded since the funerals.

I watched Vietnam unfold for several years before it came for me. It was a f'n mess with millions of tears. Syria and these little monsters in Toyota trucks with 50cal and swords are worse.

Though I don't participate I have learned in my lifetime that war is all out if winning is the goal. There is no halfway point and until the powers that be in the Middle East get off of their fat, rich asses, we should stay completely out.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
If he generals get out of line, FIRE THEM.

Simple enough. I'm not interested in what the general staff has to say beyond concocting battle plans. Otherwise they need to shut the hell up and mind their business. They don't make policy...they follow orders.

Obama should accept no lip from any of them.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He is the commander and chief. When it comes to military matters, his word is the one that counts, not the Generals.
YEP - that's why I called him General Obama. He constantly reminds us in his speeches that he is the "Commander in Chief" ..... but does he have either the experience or the knowledge to justify overruling all the "real" Generals?

Quote:
I think we should just leave the middle east alone.
I could certainly get behind that idea! .. Except for a few small details.

1. You may have no idea what it's like to live under an oil embargo with rationing, but I've been there and it was not fun. IF Team Obama wanted to "just leave the Middle East alone", then they shouldn't have spent all their time and energy (see EPA) to do everything they could to reduce our Fossil Fuel capacity, stop exploration, no new nuclear power, War on Coal and STOP the Keystone Pipeline.

If we want to cut ourself off from the Mid-East -- then we have secure energy without them. We don't.

2. How do we stop this War in Islam from coming here? Our government tells us that 100's of US Muslims are in training with ISIS/ISIL and 1,000's more with Western passports (which give them easy access to the USA) are also in training. That doesn't even count the almost 3 Million Muslims that already live in the USA. ISIS/ISIL is ultimately about a War within Islam - Sunni vs Shia. We have a majority Sunni population of Muslims in the USA ..... just as in the rest of the world. They are rarely radicalized here within their community (i.e., organizations and Mosques) - BUT radicalization is now done primarily through the Internet and Social Media.

We saw this with Nidal Hassan, we saw this with the brothers who set off bombs at the Boston Marathon. We WILL see more of it .... and probably soon.

Australia Raids Thwarted ISIS Beheading Plot - ABC News 9/18/14

Police on Thursday said they thwarted a plot to carry out beheadings in Australia by supporters of the radical Islamic State group. They detained 15 people and raided more than a dozen properties across Sydney, though nine of those brought in were freed before the day was over.

The raids involving 800 federal and state police officers — the largest in the country's history — came in response to intelligence that an Islamic State group leader in the Middle East was calling on Australian supporters to kill, Prime Minister Tony Abbott said.

Later Thursday, Attorney General George Brandis confirmed that a person born in Afghanistan who had spent time in Australia and is now working with the Islamic State group in the Middle East ordered supporters in Australia to behead people and videotape the killings.

Good intelligence can (and does) stop these type of attacks, but they won't be able to get them all. ISIS/ISIL is both the same as al-Qaeda and very different. I don't think we can ignore them and just "hope" nothing happens. The current "strategy" is doomed, things will get worse and it will fail.

I also don't think that Team Obama will actually do anything of note - this is all a "delay & hope the public gets distracted) .... so we will try your method for a while. General Obama is in charge.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Simple enough. I'm not interested in what the general staff has to say beyond concocting battle plans. Otherwise they need to shut the hell up and mind their business. They don't make policy...they follow orders.

Because Obama has all this military experience compared to these Generals ?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Obama does fire them - sometimes publicly and sometimes privately
Obama doesn't "accept no lip from any of them". He is The Commander in Chief.
He knows more about everything that any General who ever lived or ever will live.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:27 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
It's good to see an Administration that doesn't muzzle it's senior advisers. Group think certainly doomed the Bush era.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
He's not saying it's a good idea. Like it or not, there is a very good possibility that Obama will have to backtrack, eat his words AND put combative boots on the ground, and he knows this. We have 1700 non-combative troops (wearing boots BTW) on the ground and are being referred to as "advisors". They are US military and ISIS would like nothing better than to kill or capture a few. If these "advisors" are attacked, some killed, some injured, (and I can see it happening) what do you think Obama should do after putting himself in the middle of this mess? Withdraw or put combative troops on the ground?

One has to be willfully ignorant or just plain stupid if they think combative boots on the ground is not a possibility.
If he has to backtrack, I don't think he'll care. Because it certainly won't be the first time he will have done so. And as before, he'll be unapologetic. Heck, maybe he'll even find a way to blame it on Republicans, or Bush!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Besides ISIS we now have AQ fighting over there as another threat to the US.
This was said by Clapper who said they are over there training to take out US aviation efforts.
Better send a few thousand more "advisors" over there.

Intel chief: Al-Qaida cell in Syria poses threat

Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Did you see what a cesspool we've already made of Iraq?
"We"? It was in pretty good shape when I left in 2010.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:41 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kinda like being willfully ignorant or just plain stupid and refusing to learn the folly of fighting a war for those who refuse to fight for themselves, eh?
You refuse to see how the US created the problem in the ME. We made the mess, now we have to clean it up - one way or the other. If the US had nothing to do with it, why are we there? Why is there a very good possibility that the US will have to put combative boots on the ground, or do you firmly believe that that will never happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies