Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because Obama has all this military experience compared to these Generals ?
The generals have experience doing what exactly?

You obviously hold generals in far higher esteem than I do. What have they managed to win as of late that should elicit reverence from anyone? Point it out, cuz I ain't seeing it.

Generals don't make policy. They formulate war plans and strategies. Policy comes from the White House, Congress and the SecDef. I don't wanna hear anything policy related from the generals except "yes sir" and "no sir."

That, or they can tender their resignations. Makes me no difference.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Don't you all read the news?

Iraq says no foreign troops on the ground.

Iraq's prime minister says no to foreign troops - CBS News

BAGHDAD - Iraq's prime minister strongly rejected the idea of the U.S. or other nations sending ground forces to his country to help fight the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, saying Wednesday that foreign troops are "out of the question."
I thought everyone knew this.

"The only contribution the American forces or the international coalition is going to help us with is from the sky," al-Abadi said. "We are not giving any blank check to the international coalition to hit any target in Iraq."

He said that the Iraqi military will choose and approve targets, and that the U.S. will not take action without consulting with Baghdad first. Failure to do so, he warned, risks causing civilian casualties like in Pakistan and Yemen, where the U.S. has conducted drone strikes for years.

The US Taxpayers are going to finance the Iran/Iraq attacks on Sunnis by Air - Team Obama and the US Military will take their instructions from Iraq and their Iranian commanders on the ground.

ISIS/ISIL is a Terrorist Organization that now claims it's an Islamic State - they came into being mainly because of the Shiite oppression in Iraq and in Syria. The US Government either openly supported this oppression (Iraq) or turned a blind eye to the Brutality and Massacres (Syria). There would be no ISIS/ISIL without the Shiite oppression.

Do we really want to be a part of that? Do we really want to be taking orders from Iran, via their proxy Government in Iraq? Are we having back channel negotiations with Iran and the Iranian Guard over a "deal" for stabilization of Iraq & possibly Syria in return for Nuclear Weapons? A lot of reports say that's what's happening.

This whole ISIS thing is not just about the new "Islamic State" and their power plays -- it about Iran and the USA siding with the Islamic State of Iran against Sunni Nations. We need to know a lot more about what's really going on. The Sunni don't trust Obama ..... they have good reasons to worry.

US airstrikes in Amerli supported deadly Shia terror group - 9/2/14, Long War Journal

A very informative article by two writers who are historians and now authors about the Levant region.
They tell the "who/what/why/where" of ISIS/ISIL ...

On the Origin of ISIS
Why has a terrorist state blossomed in Syria and Iraq? - Sept 8, 2014 Weekly Standard

Old 09-18-2014, 12:31 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The generals have experience doing what exactly?

You obviously hold generals in far higher esteem than I do. What have they managed to win as of late that should elicit reverence from anyone? Point it out, cuz I ain't seeing it.

Generals don't make policy. They formulate war plans and strategies. Policy comes from the White House, Congress and the SecDef. I don't wanna hear anything policy related from the generals except "yes sir" and "no sir."

That, or they can tender their resignations. Makes me no difference.

I don't want a limp-wristed community organizer spouting any opinion about military matters or advising on troop strengths or tactics needed to accomplish a mission.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
President Obama is not being 100% forthcoming with the American People. The main problem I have with this plan is that we are essentially training the rebels to act as our foot soldiers against ISIS, and just leaving Bashar Assad's vicious, barbaric regime in power. Essentially we refused to help them when they we were being bombed and attacked with chemical weapons for three years, and now we ask them for their help?

Nonsense! I hope the rebels take advantage and use it oust Assad, not just fight ISIS for America. That is America's job.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Narcissists don't take advice from anyone.

Even from, Valarie Jarrett???

Old 09-18-2014, 01:54 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Yes generals know how to win wars, they thought we could win every war in the last 50 years, Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq 1&2. This is why we have government, they are not always right and pretty much every president has been at odds with the pentagon. There needs to be caution when we approach the ME, we have made many mistakes in the past we don't need to make them again.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:59 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Interesting perspective-

Why ISIL Wants to Be In a War With America
The videos they produce are an attempt to bait us into responding.
When it comes to the United States's actions, what does ISIL want?

There are some obvious reasons why we can assume ISIL is only too happy to be all but officially at war with the United States. Most importantly, it elevates them. America is the global hegemon, and if America is waging war against you, you're one of the most important actors on the world stage. Few things are more vital to a terrorist organization's recruitment efforts than the ability to tell young men that they can do something heroic by joining the struggle. ISIL can say to any disaffected young Muslim man anywhere: "You're mad at America? The way to fight it is to come join us."

Why Is President Obama the Only One Not Trying to Make the Public Afraid?
So why isn't Obama joining in the fear-fest? After all, it would serve his purpose of getting support for military action if he did so. The simplest explanation (and therefore the most likely one) is that he just doesn't think that much fear is warranted. As he said in his speech the other night, right now ISIL is a threat to the Middle East which is worth confronting, and it could become a direct threat to the United States, but it isn't yet. There's no reason to believe that isn't his sincere assessment. He also may be wary of creating too much fervor when the policy he's pursuing is rather limited. Making people afraid is a good way to get the public behind a military action, but it also creates a certain set of expectations.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:01 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
President Obama is not being 100% forthcoming with the American People. The main problem I have with this plan is that we are essentially training the rebels to act as our foot soldiers against ISIS, and just leaving Bashar Assad's vicious, barbaric regime in power. Essentially we refused to help them when they we were being bombed and attacked with chemical weapons for three years, and now we ask them for their help?

Nonsense! I hope the rebels take advantage and use it oust Assad, not just fight ISIS for America. That is America's job.
I would like to see Assad go also but don't we have enough problems. We should have learned from experience that just removing a dictator from power doesn't automatically mean they will suddenly have a democracy. Every time we remove someone from power and create a vacuum as in Libya and Iraq rebels and terrorists take up the opportunity to build their forces.

Peaceful compromise as was the case in Bahrain is the answer, just removing someone from power only results in chaos.

There are no good choices in Iraq and Syria, only bad ones.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:04 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes generals know how to win wars, they thought we could win every war in the last 50 years, Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq 1&2. This is why we have government, they are not always right and pretty much every president has been at odds with the pentagon. There needs to be caution when we approach the ME, we have made many mistakes in the past we don't need to make them again.

I see nothing wrong with Obama being very cautious.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You know that today's ISIS or ISIL has gone through many different names. Whether we trained those groups specifically won't be known unless you have a Snowden-ish source.,
I've posted many times about how often they "change names" - I don't need a "Snowden-ish source" to read a calendar OR to understand that at no time did the USA ofter training to al-qaeda in Iraq. The rise of ISIS/ISIL/IS is well documented. I've posted 2 really comprehensive articles about that "rise" and could post another 2 dozen that that would do the same.

I'm no fan of Obama - but there is NO WAY he provided "training" to any known al-qaeda or to ISIS/ISIL/IS. That is major Tin Foil Hat nonsense. As I posted before - there is not doubt that some FSA that we may have given training & aid to defected to ISIS/ISIL/IS, but defection always happen in Wars. The specific allegation is that the USA 'sorta formed & trained' these people.

That is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies