Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 02:21 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
From the flip comments so far -- I'm guessing nobody has bothered to actually read this article. Every day we hear from more Generals, yesterday from Bob Gates (former Sec Defense), from Tom Morrell (former CIA director) and Journalists/Historians who are actually familiar with the issues ..... these people are all in agreement that what Obama is demanding is just not feasible.

He gambled and lost - now he wants to double down.
When Bush/Cheney ignored their generals, as I recall it didn't turn out too well. Why would this time be so different?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:25 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Any option Obama chooses will receive criticism and rightfully so, there are no good alternatives.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
When Bush/Cheney ignored their generals, as I recall it didn't turn out too well. Why would this time be so different?
I guess you want the Obama Team to do exactly the same bad things the Bush Team did -- I actually would prefer a "change" from that. It should be "different" because we were promised it would be different ... Smart Power and Hope & Change.

Now all the OTeam followers just "shrug" and say but-but-but-but ...... BUSH!!!

Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
And when something goes wrong he will throw those generals under the bus
Considering the Majority of the Military ranking officers are very Conservative, I'm sure he would have no problem.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
McArthur wanted to use about 50 nukes on China to pacify the Chinese during the Korean war. Good thing we as a society recognize at generals aren't always right.
But MacArthur was also right in saying there is no substitute for victory.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kinda like being willfully ignorant or just plain stupid and refusing to learn the folly of fighting a war for those who refuse to fight for themselves, eh?
Strawman argument. I was in Desert Storm. I say boots on the ground.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
He is the commander and chief. When it comes to military matters, his word is the one that counts, not the Generals.

I think we should just leave the middle east alone.
Nice to know you support genocide.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:22 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Strawman argument. I was in Desert Storm. I say boots on the ground.
You might be right we will see but this is not desert storm, that was straight forward compared to what we have today. I agree with Robert Gates all options should be considered, not removed hard as that may be after 10 years of war.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:43 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The first thing we have to remember is that Clapper testified before Congress that the Muslim Brotherhood was a "secular organization" .... he not really up to snuff on what's going on.

From your Link:
James Clapper on Thursday became the first U.S. intelligence official to use the name of the cell, the Khorasan Group. He spoke at an intelligence conference in Washington.

It took me less than a minute to find out what the "Khorasan Group" is and who they are affiliated with.
Khorasan pledge splits al-Qaeda - Al Akhbar - 4/23/14

Nine al-Qaeda emirs from Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, and Iran declared their allegiance to the new emir of the faithful, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi - the head of ISIS - in what is being termed as the "Khorasan pledge."

The 9 Emirs that broke from al-Qaeda and pledged their support to ISIS/ISIL/IS are the Khorasan Group. I don't doubt that they will target US Planes if they ever get the chance to do so - but they are not some "new AQ group" -- they are part of ISIS/ISIL/IS. New groups pop up almost daily OR they rename themselves as ISIS did. The Emirs and Sheiks are all doing a lot of ally and pushy-shovey to gain power and territory. Everyone wants a piece of the action.

You have to remember that ISIS is also "at war" with the Free Syrian Army - which should make everyone think a bit more. Bashar al-Assad has been stepping up his air campaign on FSA Rebel forces this week to try and knock out as many as possible in case Obama does allow flight into Syria to attack ISIS/ISIS. There are a lot of complications with the entire mess - our perceived support for Iran's allies is a big one. Iran and Assad don't want the USA to do anything is Syria - so far, Obama is giving in to their wishes. On the other hand - Iran does want the USA to be it's Air Campaign against ISIS/ISIL while their new Proxy President and Shia Militias fight ISIS/ISIL on the ground .... it's all in aid of the Shia Supremacy in Iraq, just as it's all about the Shia/Assad/Hezbollah supremacy in Syria.

Clapper is a fool - I'm not sure what the point of this "new threat" (which is not) is -- maybe they just want to get the conversation off of ISIS/ISIL by an attempt to create a new boogeyman.
Post Correction and more information
I need to correct this - turns out that it need "more than a minute" and I was so busy with stuff that I didn't check this Clapper report out enough. My laptop is always a mess - I rarely have more than 30-40 tabs open at once. My son tells me I'm brutally tough on my poor computer.

I knew when I posted the Al Akhbar article that this site is Pro-Hezbollah, Pro-Syria, Pro-Iran and you have to double check anything they post - it's a news organization based in Lebanon.

The term "Khorosan" refers to an area that encompasses part of Pakistan, Afghanistan, several other "stand" and Iran .... it is used for several "groups". This article from the Denver Post is more what Clapper was talking about - this group specializes in two things. 1. Identifying & exterminating CIA informants & Bomb making (which the Yemens are known for). I don't recall reading that security has found 3 of their bombs (in computers & phones) in the last several months in planes headed to the USA.

U.S. officials: Al-Qaeda's Syrian cell more of a threat than ISIS - 9/14/14

The Khorosan Group that Clapper referred to is a AfPak AQ group, affiliated with Yemen and owes allegiance to al-Qaeda and Nusrah. The main danger is their Bomb expertise, which is formidable.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Again, MacArthur wanted to nuke the hell out of the Chinese during the Korean War. Are you saying it was the wrong decision for Truman to not follow this advice?

Military generals can sometimes be right or wrong. They are neither always right nor always wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies