Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:07 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The contract is legitmate as long as I offered it at a firm rate and you accepted that offer. For further evidence I could perhaps show that I sold five other cheeseburgers that week at that rate.
Your 'evidence' proves nothing. All it proves is that other people bought cheeseburgers at that rate, it certainly doesn't prove the legitimacy of the other contracts.

Quote:
Just because you showed up hungry and found the price to be high does not invalidate my asking price.
Of course it does. Again, contracts entered into under duress are not valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Your 'evidence' proves nothing. All it proves is that other people bought cheeseburgers at that rate, it certainly doesn't prove the legitimacy of the other contracts.

Which wage contract is not under duress?

I can't pay bills, so I am under duress; I can't buy iPhone, so I am under duress.

You misunderstand the word duress.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post

The other contracts are validated by the fact that they, too, we're entered into freely after agreement by both parties and satisfied by agreement of both parties. What part of that would you find unclear? Your understanding of contract law is seriously lacking.

Do you consider your hunger in the example to be duress? How am I, as the seller in this example, placing you under duress? Duress is imposed by an outside party, and your hunger is not caused by me. I may be using it to my advantage but I am not causing it. The contract remains valid. And you'll be given the cheeseburger only after you complete the 100 hours of work.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
22 Mind-Blowing Machines That Will Pique The Engineer In You - brainjet.com

Even bricklayers can be replaced.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:43 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
This is just one big conservative strawman argument.

Why does it seem like every time I see the word "strawman" you are the poster???
Just sayin'.....

Old 12-25-2014, 09:47 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
When I was in college, I sat on the beach and draw portraits for people in order to gain real life experiences of being an artist.

Education, is useful in every aspect of life and necessary for everyone either a housewife or a working person. But the education doesn't mean only taking degrees education should be like that which gives us practical knowledge.

In my opinion, college education is not the ONLY key for success in life. I have a college degree and I also have an art degree from a well known Art institute. I am doing completely different things now. To me, the key of success is figuring out exactly how marketable you really are.

Are you using a sound career strategy to keep fit for today's fluctuating marketplace?

Maintaining your marketability for the long term requires that you continually invest in yourself. Selling yourself is the key to success, education alone is not enough.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Maintaining your marketability for the long term requires that you continually invest in yourself. Selling yourself is the key to success, education alone is not enough.
Education alone means nothing. A person with a Masters' in Art History hands me my coffee every morning after another person with a Masters' in Womens' Studies rings up my order. It's what you do with what you have learned.

Old 12-25-2014, 06:12 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Selling yourself is enslaving yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies