Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No it's not.

The OP has no content to it.

Conservative ideology is more about inspiration, rhetoric, and beliefs than information, studies, and data. This OP does not take a quantative approach to the minimum wage. It simply says, I believe people should do X so we can forget about minimum wage (in between equating minimum wage workers to monkeys... with no racial undertones there! ).

Like I said, strawman argument. It doesn't say anything to address the discussion about raising the minimum wage.

Tossing the race card. What a typical liberal response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Who exactly are the "workers" of our country? Isn't anyone with a job a worker?

I have a whitecolor sales job, but I'm still a 'worker'.

Or is 'worker' only defined by low skill, low wage, low value employees? Perhaps only union employees?
Not sure myself...LOL

Maybe they mean proletariat? Not sure if in the Marxist sense or the Roman though.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Not if someone else is willing to do it for five dollars an hour...then it is worth five dollars an hour...
You aren't suggesting two people, free of regulation, negotiate a contract on what will be paid for what services rendered?

But but...what about the government? They need to tell me what to do!!!

Old 09-18-2014, 12:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
I fully support to raise the minimum wage to $150/hour. Why the slow death? Let's do it quickly and we can all get over this silliness once and for all.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I suppose that if he is sending loads of buying customers into the store every hour he works then he certainly is worth more than $20 per hour.
Then he should be on commission, not a set salary. If in fact, he were the reason customers were coming into the store and spending money, and he can do that better than anyone else, then he should negotiate a cut of that.
However, something tells me that's not the case.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:22 PM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
I suppose that if he is sending loads of buying customers into the store every hour he works then he certainly is worth more than $20 per hour.
And if the employer knows this, holding that board would indeed pay more than that.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Tossing the race card. What a typical liberal response.
When the OP calls minimum wage workers less intelligent than monkeys, what am I supposed to think? Let's nail the logic down:

Fact: blacks and brown latinoes are disproportionately working in low wage labor

Fact: blacks have been compared to monkeys historically since the dawn of America

Fact: Monkeys are actually intelligent, but they aren't human. Dehumanization is a focal point of racial oppression

Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Well, the RWNJs would like people to believe, "That's just life". In their twisted and greed filled existence that may be true but it sure isn't true for the workers of our country. If you want to compete with third world countries when it comes to wages you will become a third world country. The USA is headed that way as multinational corporations rule the roost in Yankeeland.
It doesn't matter how deep the sand is where you are burying your head; the reality is that we live in a global economy. A large amount of manufacturing will always be in the third world.

You can be on the desert island refusing to eat coconuts and fish until you are blue in the face waiting for a steak to be delivered, but it will only end one way.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
And yet minimum wage is not a "punishment" against minorities either. If fact, if there were no minimum wage, the free market might not allow such a low wage. But since the government says it's okay to pay minimum wage businesses that "might" pay more, don't really have to, because they can say they are paying a "fair" rate.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
When the OP calls minimum wage workers less intelligent than monkeys, what am I supposed to think? Let's nail the logic down:

Fact: blacks and brown latinoes are disproportionately working in low wage labor

Fact: blacks have been compared to monkeys historically since the dawn of America

Fact: Monkeys are actually intelligent, but they aren't human. Dehumanization is a focal point of racial oppression
Like I said, typical liberal. Looking for something, somewhere, anything, where you can scream "RACIST!" "I'M OFFENDED!".

You're the one who brought up blacks, not me. Now who's the racist?

I used monkeys because theoretically, a monkey can be taught to perform certain task, but they don't demand pay or benefits, just a banana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies