Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:38 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
When the OP calls minimum wage workers less intelligent than monkeys, what am I supposed to think? Let's nail the logic down:
Liberal logic - Racist, racist, racist, everybody who disagrees is a racist.

Conservative logic - A monkey is lower on the evolutionary ladder than humans and are not as capable on several levels; therefore, referencing someone who apparently can't manage the same skills as every other human is a spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Like I said, typical liberal. Looking for something, somewhere, anything, where you can scream "RACIST!" "I'M OFFENDED!".

You're the one who brought up blacks, not me. Now who's the racist?

I used monkeys because theoretically, a monkey can be taught to perform certain task, but they don't demand pay or benefits, just a banana.
You don't understand the definition of racist. For me to be racist I would have to discriminate against whites. Acknowledging racially inflammatory remarks doesn't equate to being a racist (it only is on Fox News). You should diversify your information sources and learn more about historical context before uttering euphemisms you don't understand.

You used monkeys because theoretically, you just explained exactly why blacks were referred to as monkeys since slavery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Liberal logic - Racist, racist, racist, everybody who disagrees is a racist.

Conservative logic - A monkey is lower on the evolutionary ladder than humans and are not as capable on several levels; therefore, referencing someone who apparently can't manage the same skills as every other human is a spot on.
Conservative logic - listen to degrading euphemisms I heard on the radio or saw on Fox News.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
When the OP calls minimum wage workers less intelligent than monkeys, what am I supposed to think? Let's nail the logic down:

Fact: blacks and brown latinoes are disproportionately working in low wage labor

Fact: blacks have been compared to monkeys historically since the dawn of America

Fact: Monkeys are actually intelligent, but they aren't human. Dehumanization is a focal point of racial oppression
Why does this discussion have anything to do with skin color?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Not if someone else is willing to do it for five dollars an hour...then it is worth five dollars an hour...
Not every employer is a greedy exploiter of people!!!! Too many are and that is why we have employment laws.

So many people just don't have a clue. Do you realize that it's in the best interests of employers to have a steady high rate of unemployment? Not too high as that could effect business but high enough to keep the workers working for little money and few if any benefits. They need a good sized pool of desperate people that will work for almost nothing and put up with any and all kinds of abuse from the employer.

Laissez faire theory applied to employment is straight from the pit of hell.
unbridled greed and terrible human exploitation is always the end result.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I agree with the premise, but when people need to get out it's not easy. Working 2 jobs+ in order to make ends meet is hard enough...and then work even more to pay for education (plus the time to do so). Add in study time, transit time, and family time it gets even harder. Add in health problems, or unstable home situations, and it's damn near impossible.
All I see in this post are more of the same old excuses.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:03 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Quote:
You don't understand the definition of racist. For me to be racist I would have to discriminate against whites.
Discriminating against people or making derogatory statements about people is not racist, it is bigoted.

Racism requires the belief that one group is superior to another. Simply hating, saying bad things about, discriminating against, or even directing violence against a group is not necessarily racism. The belief in superiority is needed for it to be racism.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Conservative logic - listen to degrading euphemisms I heard on the radio or saw on Fox News.
Exactly my point. I showed you the logic of the monkey reference and you respond with "Fox News". BTW, you forgot to throw in "Koch brothers!"

Of course, we know that it's all about opinion with you.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:07 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Not every employer is a greedy exploiter of people!!!! Too many are and that is why we have employment laws.

Laissez faire theory applied to employment is straight from the pit of hell.
unbridled greed and terrible human exploitation is always the end result.
In my example no one was being exploited. If someone is willing to do it for less voluntarily, they are not being exploited. To be exploited means that someone is being treated unfairly. My statement said that if someone was willing to do it for five an hour, that is what it is worth.

I know many people believe that freedom is evil, but that does not make it so.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:09 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I don't agree with the premise of your thread title.
Why? Because in this economy, those that 'add value' have little bargaining power. Said another way: 'adding value' is by no means a panacea to wealth or prosperity.
Furthermore, going to college does not create value for employers.
"In this economy ... " The universal excuse.

An individual's worth to an employer still depends, and always will depend, on his knowledge and skills.

"Bargaining power" will depend on the level of skill and knowledge in relation to the job being offered. An employer offering the low end of the range of pay for a given position has a lot of room to increase the offer, if the prospective employee is able to sell himself and show that he is worth more. It is a selling job. That in itself is a learned skill.

Someone who is already earning near the top of the pay range for a given type of job has little bargaining power. He needs to take what is offered and work toward a promotion to another higher paying position.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:23 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
You don't understand the definition of racist. For me to be racist I would have to discriminate against whites. Acknowledging racially inflammatory remarks doesn't equate to being a racist (it only is on Fox News). You should diversify your information sources and learn more about historical context before uttering euphemisms you don't understand.

You used monkeys because theoretically, you just explained exactly why blacks were referred to as monkeys since slavery.

Nice job of backpeddling after you had to put your foot in your mouth.

Again, the fact that you have to bring race into it (YOU did, I didn't) tells me that you're simply looking for opportunities, like most libs, to turn this into a race discussion. Which it isn't.

No where, no how, did I make any reference to race in my original posting. If you want to equate monkeys with black people, then that says more about you than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies