Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:42 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here.....I'm assuming a majority of posters on CD are college educated?
If that assumption is true, then we all know that the global workplace is competitive, and in order to create value and 'deserve' higher pay, you have to provide something to your employer that the next guy can't. The higher the skills, the higher the pay.

Flipping burgers, stocking shelves, etc is low skill, low value, and thus low pay. A monkey could be trained to do that and for less money. While these functions are 'essential', they don't provide value. Too many people can do it the exact same way.

My point being, if you have kids, regardless of age, you should be talking to them about continuing their education, striving to do more than the minimum requirements, about developing skills that will be valued when they enter the workforce.

Ok, soap box is collapsing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:46 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
I don't agree with the premise of your thread title.
Why? Because in this economy, those that 'add value' have little bargaining power. Said another way: 'adding value' is by no means a panacea to wealth or prosperity.
Furthermore, going to college does not create value for employers.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:47 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I've made minimum to near minimum wage my entire working career and have never complained. The key is to live within your means, don't have kids, and don't expect a lavish lifestyle as it's a bare minimum one as it's intended to be. I tried both the college and skilled trade route, neither which worked out so I have accepted my lot in life.

MW jobs are always a good fallback if your college/career plans aren't successful. Although I'm afraid with these walkouts you see by fast food workers such jobs will end up being automated.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Maybe I'm preaching to the choir here.....I'm assuming a majority of posters on CD are college educated?
If that assumption is true, then we all know that the global workplace is competitive, and in order to create value and 'deserve' higher pay, you have to provide something to your employer that the next guy can't. The higher the skills, the higher the pay.

Flipping burgers, stocking shelves, etc is low skill, low value, and thus low pay. A monkey could be trained to do that and for less money. While these functions are 'essential', they don't provide value. Too many people can do it the exact same way.

My point being, if you have kids, regardless of age, you should be talking to them about continuing their education, striving to do more than the minimum requirements, about developing skills that will be valued when they enter the workforce.

Ok, soap box is collapsing.
I was lucky to graduate high school.

I worked three minimum wage jobs at a time.

Until I could do better.........then I started my own business.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:51 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
What a strange assumption. I actually presume that many of the posters herein are receiving disability benefits from the Federal government. Hence they may spend all day posting here and elsewhere.

I agree that parents 'should' do what you suggest. There are a lot of things that, in my opinion, people 'should' do.

I will point out that higher education has become very expensive (back in the 1970s into the early 80s, it was very cheap indeed. At law school, Texas Tech, I paid $5.00 per semester hour; I could afford the $60 per semester by working at K-Mart).

I have urged some of my younger relatives, who are either resistant to college or can't afford it, to check out learning a skill for work that will not go overseas, such as electrical work, plumbing, and the like. Some have opted for IT work, which I guess pays pretty well (although it seems like the market for that is somewhat saturated).

Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Yay for this forum! I totally agree.

I started minimum wage at fast food and a bakery starting 3rd year high school, then worked at the bakery till the Fall when I got my first full time job. I had taken a civil service test in high school senior year and got a job with the government.

- Do they still offer those tests? if they do - TAKE IT - you will have a solid job with the government.

I did not go to college full time, because I hated high school and just decided to work my way up. That's what happened.

now zip forward 32 years later, my current job has taught me skills so that I have a career. So was I lucky or what? I don't know. But I did not go to college except a few classes because I was taking time to raise a family. But I kept on and here I am today doing well.

All thanks to God and to Jesus for whatever blessings and guidance I was given by Him. ((but I had to go out and get the work myself; it didn't magically fall from the sky

Old 09-18-2014, 07:14 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I don't agree with the premise of your thread title.
Why? Because in this economy, those that 'add value' have little bargaining power. Said another way: 'adding value' is by no means a panacea to wealth or prosperity.
Furthermore, going to college does not create value for employers.
Here is a report that ran in Forbes: College Degrees Aren't Becoming More Valuable -- Their Glut Confines People Without Them To A Shrinking, Low-Pay Sector Of The Market - Forbes. It backs up what you are saying (I quote from that link): "With the large numbers of recent college graduates who can’t find employment that pays well enough to justify the costs of going to college, it appears that we have reached the final stages of a process that has driven costs up but value down."

Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
I have never work at minim wage, my starting pay 31 years ago was three dollars higher than minimum wage. I think they ought to do away with minimum wage, let the market controll the wages

Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,861 times
None of this would be an issue if the economy didn't suck so badly and we didn't have so many underemployed, low wage workers. Now that they appear to be large enough to exploit as a voting block, Washington is going to do everything they can to hopefully motivate them to vote in a way that benefits certain politicians. Since this is an emotional issue, politicians are going to promise the world and end up doing nothing.

The best defense against having your citizens stuck in minimum wage jobs is an economy where upward mobility can occur for blue collar workers with relative ease. That is something that has been notably absent in this country the past 6 or 7 year outside of areas with an oil boom.

We need manufacturing and construction to roar back into life. We don't need to touch minimum wage, we need more opportunity.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:32 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
I see the job market as similar to a giant game of musical chairs, there simply isn't enough chairs/good jobs for everyone. If you want one of the few chairs, you'll have to be quick (have real skills to bring to the market). Of course in the game you keep removing the chairs (outsourcing, and technology), so eventually only one person has a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies