Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This latest gaffe that not even Dan Quayle would make comes hours after apologizing for yet another anti-Semitic comment.

Joe Biden calls Asian politician 'the wisest man in The Orient'
  • Attempting to praise Singapore's first prime minister Lee Kuan Yew, Biden called him the 'wisest man in the Orient'
  • It is generally acceptable to refer to inanimate objects as 'oriental' but offensive when applied to people
  • Biden made the offending comment at the Nuns on the Bus tour kickoff in Des Moines, Iowa, on Wednesday
  • The same day Biden had apologized for calling predatory lenders 'Shylocks' - an anti-Semitic slur - calling it a 'poor choice of words'

Stay tolerant, Dems.
That is stupid. I did not know Oriental was a no no.. Too many stupid overly sensitive politically correct people. Next thing you know, you wont be able to say "person" or "bread" or "water" , you will have to say some other word where you have to say 3 words instead like instead of saying "short" you have to say "height challenged person" sheesh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Another drunkard.

Off topic, and incoherent. Who are you saying is the drunkard? Me? William? Biden? You maybe (speak for yourself, after all).

Old 09-18-2014, 08:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
a few years ago, come to think of it, and i've been on the earth a while, we used to call all asian people "chinese" it was the generic word used to describe anyone with chinese/asian features - chinese. ok so then we were all taught, no dont say that, say "Asian".. ok now we cant say Oriental. God!! i dont think the world is going to end because we call someone Oriental!!!!

There is a form of decor called Oriental decor. it is made up of silk, a certain kind of design, and a certain kind of furniture. it is not insulting!!!! i dont think they are going to change and in fact some stores that have that design ARE called Oriental. just google Oriental Trading!!! it is not insulting.

who made the rule that says oriental is insulting and why should i listen to them? Tell that person to go rot in a hole somewhere.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
You can always count on good ole Joe. Wander if he informed Obama he did one of those big ....deals today.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So, you get pissed off when liberals get all PC, now you're going all PC and you're mad? Stay consistent, tea party

By the way, Oriental and Orient are not offensive (at least not in the UK, or Latin America). But, only in America do people get offended very easily over anything, including spilled milk
I think people pointing it out are not mad at his words (he said nothing wrong in my view), rather they want consistent treatment from the media. With VP Biden, his multiple gaffes(real or perceived) are dismissed as are other non-PC things said by (D's) with the liberal news media. However if an (R) were to utter anything close or even more tame, they want the persons scalp.

BTW - For those who are aghast at the thought of the term Orient/Oriental it is actually a more accurate term to describe certain cultures than the ubiquitous term of Asian.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Try calling a black person a Negro these days and show them your dictionary definition.

Biden make Palin look like a Rhodes scholar.
LOL hardly.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
What a bunch of total hogwash. I lived in Tsingtao, China in 1948 and for 18 months until we were evacuated in 1949. I lived in Japan for two and a half years from 1956 through 1958 and was on and about the Korean DMZ from 1967 to 1969 for a total of 22 months. Throughout all those years, "orient," "oriental," and "occidental" were just fine and dandy, everyone knew what they meant, that they weren't pejorative and I don't recall any big issues about their uses. How far we've fallen!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
every court must have its jester.
and for all his shortcomings obama knows how to pick them.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:13 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
every court must have its jester.
and for all his shortcomings obama knows how to pick them.
So you're saying that's why McCain picked Palin. This is what I love about Joe. He is not your average polished politician who memorizes the scripts and tells you what you want to hear. I am so sick of these people. He speaks from the heart, gaffes and all. Many think he's a buffoon or stupid but I see just the opposite. I see him as real.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So you're saying that's why McCain picked Palin. This is what I love about Joe. He is not your average polished politician who memorizes the scripts and tells you what you want to hear. I am so sick of these people. He speaks from the heart, gaffes and all. Many think he's a buffoon or stupid but I see just the opposite. I see him as real.
The same holds true for Obama and Bush. Neither are quick witted. Joe makes them the 3 Stooges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies