Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:58 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And that neighbor knows the cost of the damage?
He does body and paint work. Paint jobs aren't cheep but he may be over estimating it too. I really didn't know but the cop thought it was serious damage and seemed like he want to investigate and solve it if possible before turning it over to a Detective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:02 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
If you have a video tape of the entire area at the time of the crime, and if you didn't do it, then why wouldn't you let the police view the tape? Wouldn't you want to help the police catch this criminal who is committing property crimes in your neighborhood?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:06 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If you have a video tape of the entire area at the time of the crime, and if you didn't do it, then why wouldn't you let the police view the tape? Wouldn't you want to help the police catch this criminal who is committing property crimes in your neighborhood?
There is one problem. If you allow a LEO on your property he can and will use anything criminal on your property to arrest you. Paranoid? Maybe, but anything can happen, someone else may have dropped some drugs in there or whatever. There is no reason to take on the unnecessary risk of having a agent of the State on your property voluntarily.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:06 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
"I didn't do it, am I under arrest? No, then have a nice day I have things to do".

Old 09-18-2014, 02:12 PM

13,940 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I would have stated that I had nothing to do with and that I was busy. If he persisted in his questioning, I would have asked, "Am I being detained?" If he says yes, then I say nothing and tell him that, "I do not consent to a search.", as he will have to show in court why at that exact point that he had reasonable suspicion that I had committed a crime or that a crime was afoot. If he says no, I would tell him to have a nice day and go about my business.
This.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:

Please consult with an attorney.
Please do not seek legal advise from anonymous strangers over the internet, none of whom know the laws in your area.

You don't have to show a cop anything, even a badge waving detective. He needs a warrant with a judge's signature on it and that is the law. The 4A says as much and is why you retain an attorney. If the law wants to see something they go through him. Never invite LEO into your home or place of business.
Speak to your attorney and no one else concerning this. Don't post about it any further.

In all actuality this is but an auto insurance claim and LEO don't routinely invesigate such benign matters unless you are a career vandal with a record of doing so. Your buddy is most likely making other allegations about you. Did you give him a wedgie or twist his panties up into a knot in the past?
Did any of your patrons park in front of his unit? That act will start a war in an industrial park and I have seen it first hand. Why? I have no idea, some think themselves to be more important than others.

As for your neighbor, auto insurance companies have lawyers and investigators. If your attorney asks for your recordings play nice with him and he will see they get to the parties who need them. Keep them to yourself for any other reason and don't mention them.

IMO

Old 09-18-2014, 02:18 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
If I'm not being detained or arrested I lock up my stuff and leave.

If detained or arrested simply sit there without saying a word aside from "I formally request legal aid at this time".

That's it.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:23 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Why were you, a tenant, going to "do some work on the well water pump that supply's water to the units"? If you have video (is that the word kids use these days?) say you will make a copy and get back to him. It doesn't sound like he was demanding to be let in.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
*Let me set the scene. Two warehouses 150 feet long with 6 units each, separated by an area for parking with room to enter and exit. I have two units in the middle in one of the warehouses, unit 3 and 4. My neighbor in unit 2 had someone key the paint on one of his pickups and was claiming $ 5,000.00 in damage to the paint. He called the police and claimed I did it. He said he did not see me do it but heard me do it around 09:30 am.

I have a four camera video surveillance system that covers the entire area and it runs 24/7 and saves footage for 30 days. Which I installed myself two years ago at a cost of $350.00. From the moment I step out the door I have another neighbor from the other warehouse with me the entire time I'm outside, until I enter back into my unit. He had to leave to take care of some business and was leaving as the police pulled in.

At this time I have no clue why the police was there or what the problem is. I going to do some work on the well water pump that supply's water to the units and the entry is blocked by the cop and the neighbor in conversation. I approach to gain entry and the neighbor comes at me aggressively threatening me verbally with his hand out as if to put his index finger in my chest. The cop steps in between us and I turn and walk away with the statement, "I don't know what the hell your talking about". The cop says "I will need to talk to you in a bit wait for me down there",indicating my unit. While I'm waiting I remove my ID from my wallet and put it in my shirt pocket.

The cop comes down to talk with me. The first thing I do before anything is said Is hand him my ID. I ask him what the problem is and he tells me. I told him I had nothing to do with it and explained in detail what I had done that day and that I had someone with me that could back my story but he wasn't here right now. He notices the cameras and ask if they are working and belong to me and I answer yes. Now I have to make a decision.

Do I cooperate and show him the video ? I have to invite him into my unit to do that. Knowing once he's in he can do what ever he wants. I know when they search they break things and have little or no respect for property and I have some very expensive equipment but no guns,drugs or dogs to shoot.

Before I post what I did and why with the results tell me.

What would you do ?
First, hide the weed for gods sake! Then, tell him you'll bring a copy of the surveillance video down to the station if that's what he's looking for.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:26 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
You've come to the right place for legal advice! With the expert minds here at city-data, you can't go wrong.
Quote:

Please consult with an attorney.
Please do not seek legal advise from anonymous strangers over the internet, none of whom know the laws in your area.
I seemed to have missed the part where he was looking for legal advise.

He was just throwing out a scenario that happened to him and wanted to know what others might have done.

As a matter of fact, the even said he was going to tell us what did happen in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Before I post what I did and why with the results tell me.

What would you do ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies