Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:56 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Servicing the national debt is a very light burden. It's about 6% of the budget. Hillary knows what's going on. Never fear.

Servicing the debt and getting rid of it are entirely two different things.

We could use that 6% for greater things or let the People keep it.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
I don't envy the next president (if it will not be Obama follower). Do you know why? Imagine this scene: former president, while handing over the office, leads the newly elected president by the hand along a foggy path...and here they come to the edge, where the highest mountain can be seen in the distance...and the former president said: "Now it's all yours" and points to the mountain...the mountain, named "National Debt"...
Attachment 136301
What's different than any president before him?

The US has been debt free one year- 1835,

Every president inherits debt, adds to it and passes it on.

Back in the day, the US raised taxes to pay for its wars and after care. Instead, the US has for the last 30 years been lowing taxes and increasing spending.

I am an advocate for a flat War Tax on all income. No exceptions, earned, capital gains, social security, SSDI and TANF. You want to "do something" about ISIS, pay for it, here and now.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:56 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
fiscally responsible democrat? Might as well try and find a unicorn.
Well republicans touting being fiscally responsible is lossing your bowels type funny. They just want to spend the money on things that won't go into the hands of most people. I don't like welfare but at least it goes into the hands of those who don't have millions of dollars to spend like banks, automakers, big pharma, rural power companies, oil, and the war machine.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:58 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Back in the day, the US raised taxes to pay for its wars and after care. Instead, the US has for the last 30 years been lowing taxes and increasing spending.

I am an advocate for a flat War Tax on all income. No exceptions, earned, capital gains, social security, SSDI and TANF. You want to "do something" about ISIS, pay for it, here and now.
The military wouldn't be so expensive if it was privitized instead of being contacted. Or they could base it mostly on donations. The billionaires should pay for their own money wars.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
This reminds me of a question one of my professors asked me in grad school.

"What would you do if you were an executive at General Motors right now to avoid bankruptcy?" The idea was to brainstorm a strategy for a company whose core competency was a market segment that was slumping (trucks, expensive performance cars, and SUVs). This was in 2009 and General Motors was facing a major liquidity problem as the auto market crashed. My response was "If I were running GM, I'd quit". My reasoning was that the market would not recover ad bankruptcy was inevitable....and I'd almost certainly be fired immediately after regardless of what I could do anyways.

That's how I feel about the next president. It's going to absolutely suck having that job, and whatever party gets that hot potato will almost certainly get "fired" afterward.Of course I'm not suggesting that our country would ever go into bankruptcy, but we do have some massive hurdles to overcome economically, our spending is out of control, race relations are getting worse, and terrorism probably isn't going away. All of those issues will require making decisions and pushing an agenda that will not be well received in the polls- especially with respect to foreign policy.
Yes indeed.
The Presidency is one of the very hardest jobs to be hired for, and one of the very hardest to leave once hired.
One of the greatest problem the next will face is trying to meet the ever faster demands of the job with the very inefficient and slow working tools he has to use. The United States is a big country with many longstanding divisions and conflicts, and Congress is very seldom capable of acting in unity and speed in importantly pressing matters.

The world is steadily becoming more complicated and events are happening faster than ever before. This causes confusion and confoundment, because people don't all change, comprehend, or learn at the same rate of speed.
And there are more human beings on the planet now than ever before, so all that is amplified and extended. 100 years ago, what happened in China wasn't much of a concern to us in general, but today, we are watching what's happening today in Hong Kong with great interest, because whatever the result is will affect us by next week. And what affects us affects some other nation a week later.

It's not a job I would ever want, nor would almost everyone. Anyone who wants the job must be cut from much different cloth than the rest of us.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:18 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
I don't envy the next president (if it will not be Obama follower). Do you know why? Imagine this scene: former president, while handing over the office, leads the newly elected president by the hand along a foggy path...and here they come to the edge, where the highest mountain can be seen in the distance...and the former president said: "Now it's all yours" and points to the mountain...the mountain, named "National Debt"...
Attachment 136301
That's funny...

I wonder if the current President had any reservations about his decision to run (or continue to run) for office while the world's economic system was collapsing in the middle of his first campaign.

Did President Bush point to the abyss and say "now it's all yours" to Barak Obama?

Old 10-03-2014, 12:28 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
I don't evny ANY president.

Regardless of what you do, there's always going to be SOME criticism from some group of people. It's a thankless, extremely stressful job...

Old 10-03-2014, 12:33 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
The military wouldn't be so expensive if it was privitized instead of being contacted. Or they could base it mostly on donations. The billionaires should pay for their own money wars.
You Really have not thought that out well, think about your suggestion, do you really want the most powerful Military on the planet under the control of business men instead of our government, really?

Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
That's funny...

I wonder if the current President had any reservations about his decision to run (or continue to run) for office while the world's economic system was collapsing in the middle of his first campaign.

Did President Bush point to the abyss and say "now it's all yours" to Barak Obama?
I think Bush was damned happy to hand off the bank collapse to whoever won.

McCain admitted he wasn't any good at financial stuff when he interrupted his campaign to go to the briefing that Hank Poulsen had with all the Senate leaders. I'll bet that by the spring of 2009, he was happy he lost; that was a mighty big bullet he ducked.

And Obama was any more prepared for the collapse than McCain. By Jan. 2009, he probably felt like Truman did when he learned he had to finish WWII because Roosevelt died. At a time when the worst fighting of the war was just beginning.

Truman said "It felt like a ton of hay had just fallen on me."

Old 10-04-2014, 12:27 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Not every president adds a trillion dollars to the debt every single year.
Quote:
Yes. We should lower spending so that we can keep lowering taxes.
Quote:
So when it comes to items in the budget you don't like, we should impose a particularly punishing tax to discourage them. But other items it's fine to hide away. How about we do the tax you're talking about but instead of it being a war tax we make it an Unwed Mothers Tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies