Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 08:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,976,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Yawn. Stop using libertarianism to fight government, and start using it to improve government. There is such a thing as libertarian government.
The only thing that will improve government is having it stop doing 95% of what it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 08:39 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The only thing that will improve government is having it stop doing 95% of what it does.
No more public schools, no more army, no more police, no more libraries and no more FAA. Wow. That would be fun.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,388,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
the only thing that will improve government is having it stop doing 95% of what it does.
100%

Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 AM

13,978 posts, read 5,638,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Very few companies sell insurance to people >65 years old, EXCEPT (to ward off the people firing up their keyboards right now) for Medicare supplements. If you are eligible for Medicare, you almost have to use it. Your buddy Ayn Rand used it when she got lung cancer b/c the dumb cluck refused to believe smoking was harmful.
1) Ayn Rand is not my buddy. Objectivism has points that I find agreeable, but agreeing with certain tenets of a philosophy does not mean blanket, 100% approval of everything the philosopher themselves says and does. She justified her rather hypocritical collecting of both SS and Mediwelfare under the banner of "well, they did steal from me, so I may as well at least pay myself back what was taken." While technically true, I never liked the intellectual dishonesty associated with that.

2) After doing research, it certainly does appear that even if I work, hide in a foxhole, or live on a sailboat in the middle of the ocean....apparently Mediwelfare is now structured to come find you and assimilate you right about the moment you turn 65. I think if I found a way to travel to and live on one of the moon's of Saturn, the Mediwelfare system would still find me, enroll me and then start sending me political mail from both parties.

So I stand corrected, there's not just a good chance I'll be enrolled in Mediwelfare, it looks like from every possible indicator that I literally have no choice whatsoever. Like, even if I don't want insurance at all, and want to pay cash for something, I won't be allowed and they'll bill Mediwelfare anyway. Resistance is indeed futile and oh yes, we will all be assimilated.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:00 AM

18,826 posts, read 8,486,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
So I stand corrected, there's not just a good chance I'll be enrolled in Mediwelfare, it looks like from every possible indicator that I literally have no choice whatsoever. Like, even if I don't want insurance at all, and want to pay cash for something, I won't be allowed and they'll bill Mediwelfare anyway. Resistance is indeed futile and oh yes, we will all be assimilated.
You don't have to use Medicare.

Just ask around and get a doc that will take your cash payments. Direct pay primary care and Concierge docs are all the rage now. Then find a surgeon, ER and hospital to agree to your terms. You might be surprised.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You don't have to use Medicare.

Just ask around and get a doc that will take your cash payments. Direct pay primary care and Concierge docs are all the rage now. Then find a surgeon, ER and hospital to agree to your terms. You might be surprised.
I'd dearly love to, as I don't like being a thrall to Leviathan, but just the basic googling made me kinda scared that at 65, while not exactly being turned into soylent green on the spot, I am registered as a future food source for the Mediwelfare industry.

It's like 18-64 is the only time you are even sorta free to be your own person, and outside that range, you are a ward of the federal government, and must do as they command.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:25 PM

18,826 posts, read 8,486,845 times
Quote:
I'd dearly love to, as I don't like being a thrall to Leviathan, but just the basic googling made me kinda scared that at 65, while not exactly being turned into soylent green on the spot, I am registered as a future food source for the Mediwelfare industry.

It's like 18-64 is the only time you are even sorta free to be your own person, and outside that range, you are a ward of the federal government, and must do as they command.
As a physician I have been caring for Medicare patients for nearly 40 years now. And the number of serious complaints from patients about the program have remained very very low. Because it is TOO good a deal for them. It covers TOO much, TOO easily and at TOO low a cost for them. I soon will partake at this trough in about 1 and a 1/2 years. Hot diggity dogs!

Old 09-23-2014, 01:31 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,904,973 times
Quote:

What is your politically feasible alternative to a single-payer system? i.e. an alternative that has a chance of becoming law.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
What is your politically feasible alternative to a single-payer system? i.e. an alternative that has a chance of becoming law.
Haven't really thought about what is politically feasible because I am not much on pondering the best way to interfere in the life of my fellow man. I could personally care less what you and the other petty tyrants conjure up, and I'll handle my health care business on my own, hopefully free from any of your interference, tyvm.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,388,627 times
Quote:
Haven't really thought about what is politically feasible because I am not much on pondering the best way to interfere in the life of my fellow man. I could personally care less what you and the other petty tyrants conjure up, and I'll handle my health care business on my own, hopefully free from any of your interference, tyvm.
Lol exactly.

He basically asked you "I know you don't want to rob any of these 3 people but if you had to which one would you rob?"

The statist mindset is so entrenched with folks I don't believe it can be broken via baby steps. It's either you get it or don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies