Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM

1,259 posts, read 830,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
He has to prove his assertions. And since they contradict commonly observed reality, it really IS up to him to prove them.
There is no such a thing as commonly observed reality, that just your subjective perception that you project on everybody else. I also believe that being and MD with 40 years of practice he knows much more about the topic than you..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
This, too, is utter nonsense.
Seriously? That's the way it used to be, and lots of seniors did not have health care coverage.
GOP Budget: Time Travel Back To When Seniors Couldn't Afford Health Care -- Guest Opinion - Kaiser Health News
**Barclay's testimony was consistent with statistics of the time (1959), which showed that about two-thirds of retirees had no health insurance at all and even those with insurance frequently had insurance that covered only a small fraction of their costs.. . . . National outrage over that situation was a major reason why, in 1965, President Lyndon Johnson and congressional Democrats were able to enact Medicare.**

Old 09-24-2014, 08:29 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,935,478 times
Vthokiefan,
What you are describing is the Affordable Care Act.
It is private health insurance. Not Medicaid.
You have to be working, and afford the payments to be able
to buy health insurance under it.
THere is alot of misinformation about it out there.
It's a shame really, because millions of hard working people
finally have the oppurtunity to buy health insurance that otherwise would
just die without it.
I'm not exagerating.
It's not going to be repealed, it's here to stay.
The politicans won't work to make it better, they just want to take
it away.
It's more important to spend the middle class money on weapons, rather then
on the middle class.
Oh well, at least the American people have the ACA.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You are saying Medicare 'covers too little to be effective'. That's absolute and total nonsense!

Medicare covers almost everything for my patients that they, and I desire and recommend. Medicare is almost too easy here. And that leads to waste. This is one big reason why Medicare costs so much. There simply is not enough restraint on the doctor or patient side.
So that's why my mother died when she was refused heart surgery by Medicare. Got it. That's why my father died, when Medicare refused to do ANYTHING at all, and he died in a VA hospital that refused to spend the money for testing, as well, from what is considered a relatively easily solved problem.

Quote:
Please tell me where you get your information about Medicare, what it does and doesn't do?
How about "From Doctors and Nurses..."?

Quote:
You are saying 'it robs those not subscribing', which is true in some respects. But don't you see that this is one very major reason that it is 'too low a cost' for the beneficiaries? It is a huge bargain for them. HUGE!
When you are denied care because the "pricing" has made ubiquitous care vanish... It's not a bargain at all.

Quote:
Medicare's purpose is to provide seniors with HC services, and in this fashion it has been a HUGE success for the beneficiaries. If it wasn't, don't you think that after 40 years I would have piles and piles of anecdotes, stories and impressions about all these failures?
No, because you are mindlessly devoted to advancing more sucking on the government teat.

Quote:
There is no more reason for Medicare to collapse than our military, or any other of a thousand centrally funded programs. And the fact that moving forward the politics of our aging demographics can only increase the demand for Medicare, means to me that it won't be going anywhere.
The US government has more than 17 trillion dollars less than ZERO in the bank. Entitlement (redistribution) spending has grown from less than 10% to 61% of the budget in my lifetime and is accelerating. The money is not obtainable and the programs are failing to provide the services they promise, while at the same time we're falling off the financial cliff, with the highest percentage of GDP being taken by the federal government since the last world war, and it's nowhere NEAR enough to fund the handouts you seem to think are good.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:43 PM

18,894 posts, read 8,542,213 times
Quote:
This, too, is utter nonsense.
Try and get a private quote for a typical Medicare patient and see.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 PM

18,894 posts, read 8,542,213 times
Quote:
So that's why my mother died when she was refused heart surgery by Medicare. Got it. That's why my father died, when Medicare refused to do ANYTHING at all, and he died in a VA hospital that refused to spend the money for testing, as well, from what is considered a relatively easily solved problem.

I'm so sorry you have had these issues with Medicare. I just wish I could have been there to help. Nothing like anything like that has happened to any of my patients in all these years.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
There is no such a thing as commonly observed reality, that just your subjective perception that you project on everybody else. I also believe that being and MD with 40 years of practice he knows much more about the topic than you..
I believe he hasn't a clue.

Most doctors leave crunching the numbers to their accountants. And thinking to politicians.

Which is why the typical family practicioner has between 3 and 7 paid employees each, whose jobs are to do paperwork and other completely unproductive work - ALL because of medicare, insurance, and government regulation.

It's why the typical doctor visit gets you between 3 and 8 minutes of face time with the doctor, who is supposedly attempting to "help" you, but can't spend long enough with the patient to do anything but scribble on his Rx pad and rush to the next patient.

Which is why I became aquainted with the story of a man in his 40's, who is diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, on 1 statin, 2 BP meds ( thiazide and beta blocker) , was just prescribed Metformin, using testosterone injections, and is a heart attack waiting to happen.

Why? His "Doctor" has never bothered to so much as suggest he change his diet and lifestyle.

He asked "How come my doctor never told me about the things I could do to fix these things?"

Because his doctor has to raise about $400/hr in revenue to pay all the overhead. There's no time to be a real doctor.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Try and get a private quote for a typical Medicare patient and see.
Quote for what?

Insurance is not health care.

Insurance makes no sense. He should have been saving his entire life for his needs now, if he wanted all the expensive medical miracles when he's old.

But no, society said "Hey, spend your money now, rob the younger people later..."

Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I'm so sorry you have had these issues with Medicare. I just wish I could have been there to help. Nothing like anything like that has happened to any of my patients in all these years.
That story is not even slightly unique to me. It has been repeated millions and millions of times.

One person has medicare spend literally many hundreds of thousands for ineffective "life prolonging" efforts, while others are denied care for real needs. Why? The system is a bureaucratic nightmare, with tens of thousands of codes, a complex maze designed to consume vast amounts of time and labor and it denies more claims than ANY health care insurer, EVER.

Why? It is simply impossible for any command system to EVER be even remotely effective, efficient, or functional.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:02 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
I believe he hasn't a clue.

Most doctors leave crunching the numbers to their accountants. And thinking to politicians.

Which is why the typical family practicioner has between 3 and 7 paid employees each, whose jobs are to do paperwork and other completely unproductive work - ALL because of medicare, insurance, and government regulation.

It's why the typical doctor visit gets you between 3 and 8 minutes of face time with the doctor, who is supposedly attempting to "help" you, but can't spend long enough with the patient to do anything but scribble on his Rx pad and rush to the next patient.

Which is why I became aquainted with the story of a man in his 40's, who is diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, on 1 statin, 2 BP meds ( thiazide and beta blocker) , was just prescribed Metformin, using testosterone injections, and is a heart attack waiting to happen.

Why? His "Doctor" has never bothered to so much as suggest he change his diet and lifestyle.

He asked "How come my doctor never told me about the things I could do to fix these things?"

Because his doctor has to raise about $400/hr in revenue to pay all the overhead. There's no time to be a real doctor.
My guess? His doctor told him over and over and he didn't listen.

I don't know where you came up with that figure of 3 to 7 employees per physician to do paperwork. The office where I work has 5 physicians and two people who do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies