Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 09:44 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Which will be done via a single payer system, and not an NHS. The main reason is as follows: pragmatism and well, crap, we already have one in this country anyway, Medicare.

Is the current system a disaster? Yes. Will a single payer system be a disaster? Probably not, but it won't be a "good" system. Probably very average.

I came to this conclusion upon thinking about how much of a burden providing health insurance must be for businesses. Even pre-ACA, it's like a $5,000/year tab for a healthy employee. Also, I think compassion has entered the equation as well. And finally, people being bankrupt from medical bills essentially takes that person out of the economy for life.

I just don't see why we can't have it in this country.

THAT said, I have a message to the left: In this country, a public health care system WILL NOT work without having a ROBUST and THRIVING private health insurance and health care system with which millions of Americans with the means can be taken off the dole and not even use the public system. This will be vital. We do not have resources for 330 million unhealthy people to be on a public system.

So the left needs to do the following:
  • You need to completely and totally repeal the affordable care act in its entirety.
  • You need to roll back private health insurance regulation to the level of auto insurance.
We need to provide ample incentives for companies to provide private health insurance for their people as a benefit. If the bottom line just doesn't work, particularly for minimum wage workers at restaurants, then they just use Medicare.

The ultimate goal here is to prevent people from going into financial ruin due to circumstances they did not choose. We can also reduce the burden on businesses.

While I'm usually wary of government involvement, but simply put, I've concluded that healthcare exists outside of free market forces. It's one of those things that everyone will need at some point

Am I becoming a Democrat? Absolutely not. But I have a long road ahead of me to convince the right-wing in this country.

No, you are not becoming a Democrat, but you are coming to your senses. One of the reasons why American corporations can't be competitive with foreign ones, is the burden of health care. the auto industry is the best example that I can think of.

Health care is a basic human right. The US should be the world leader - not lagger in this respect. This should not be a political issue. It should be a patriotic issue that should unite all Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 09:54 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The UK's NHS is a single payer system.

That doesn't mean every single payer system is just like the NHS, though.
And it is so good that those who can, buy PRIVATE insurance because the NHS system is so bad.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:03 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
No, you are not becoming a Democrat, but you are coming to your senses. One of the reasons why American corporations can't be competitive with foreign ones, is the burden of health care. the auto industry is the best example that I can think of.

Health care is a basic human right. The US should be the world leader - not lagger in this respect. This should not be a political issue. It should be a patriotic issue that should unite all Americans.
Health care isn't a basic human right.

You might like to think it is a good idea, but it isn't something innately guaranteed in our founding documents.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:12 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Health care is a basic human right.
Health care is a basic human right if one could provide it for themselves. However, if healthcare has to be provided to one by another's labor, their is no right to that labor. One must provide something of value to that provider for the exchange.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Lol.

I see your force...and raise you my force.

Any association not of free will is tyranny. Even if you "cut 90%" that only means the 10% that remains will have to exert more influence (force) for the government to do its bidding.

how wrong can you be, getting rid of government and handing most of it back to the states and letting them handle it. also the people of each state would be able to better handle their local politicians.

also, politicians at the federal level and from the concrete states would not be able to make decisions about the rural states.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:40 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I have been in the same place that you are of holding onto principles with out wavering for many years but in reality has it done me any good?
If your actions/views aren't doing you any good then feel free to reexamine them for yourself.

Quote:
has it done the country any good?
You mean the fictional entity known as the government?

Quote:
Nope, all I was left with was my principles and nothing else.
This is the first time I've ever seen someone throw their identity under the bus. Whatever. It was yours to do with as you wish.

Quote:
You might consider it people that waver looking out for their own self interest and myself and others look at as the world is not moving in our direction and never will.
"Our" direction? You fell back into the trap of wanting your personal choices/ideals to be forced upon others.

Quote:
I agree with the Paul doctrine of trying to make change through the political parties and getting something instead of a big fat zero.
So you're against force but if force is to be used...do it my way. Right back to the statist position.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:43 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
how wrong can you be, getting rid of government and handing most of it back to the states and letting them handle it. also the people of each state would be able to better handle their local politicians.

also, politicians at the federal level and from the concrete states would not be able to make decisions about the rural states.
Small, voluntary associations that are easily scrutinized/dismantled that settle disputes are fine.

Simply going back to "states' rights" is just a smaller umbrella of a fictional entity forcing people to do/not do things.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:50 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times
Default Obama care failed!

ASA Failed because of the cost of the program and the actual cost of deductibles. 3K and us get less coverage. Further Obama Care did not have different products for different types of end users. It was mandated what was a good policy.

If we are serious Rep or Dem we must establish medical rates like Blue Cross / Blues shield i.e. Medicare.

1. No thrills for Young Healthy adults. Cold broken arms and common surgeries.

2. Family Plan with women's health in mind.

3. Senior plan

4. Major health issues like cancer. (extra pay into)

My Aetna Health 90/10 was a excellent and was afford with a large pool of people. Now we got to settle for substandard service, because of the wisdom of the DNC with supermajority.

This is not rocket science.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:54 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A libertarian who seeks to expand the government is like a someone who calls himself a vegetarian and yet eats nothing but meat.
Actually a single payer would decrease the size of government. Just think of me as a vegetarian that eats a lot of steak but they are made of eggplant It may appear that it is an opposition to a libertarian ideal, when in fact it isn't. DO no harm.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:59 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Actually a single payer would decrease the size of government. Just think of me as a vegetarian that eats a lot of steak but they are made of eggplant It may appear that it is an opposition to a libertarian ideal, when in fact it isn't. DO no harm.
Single payer system would make the govenment the funder and the operator of all health care related issues, like hospitals, clinics, pharmacies etc, and doctors and nurses would becone government employees. It would expand the government. Not an eggplant, but a blood drippping rib-eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies