Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 01:08 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

This is a very common fallacy. There is an assumption that "if the government doesn't do it, it won't get done". In truth, people have been getting healthcare long before the government ever got involved. And people would continue getting healthcare even if government didn't exist. And this is true about everything.
I suggest you look into the history of why Medicare came to be in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 01:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
No. You are wrong
It was the exact argument used for Medicare. Except the flaw there, is it did not
apply to everyone.
Quote:
Any reasonable interpretation of the taxation for general welfare, gives power to set up programs that provide for "general welfare" of the citizens of the United States. Congress has the power to collect taxes to promote the general welfare. They don't just collect money, they spend it on a "program".
No, there is no reasonable interpretation at all.

If it said
Quote:
Jim shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of John; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform;
You would not argue that it said that spending on Jane was the intent. I'm sorry, it is utterly impossible to read 'general welfare of the United States" and conflate that to "The general welfare of the people".

It is simply impossible. Period.

Quote:
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3407400186.html

"THE CONSTITUTIONAL BASIS FOR MEDICARE
Congress designed Medicare to promote the general welfare of the United States. The program's financing mechanisms proceed under the taxing and spending powers, together with the commerce clause. Although some groups have challenged various features of the law, no litigant has challenged the Constitutional basis of the act as a whole."
I'm sorry, you haven't made any convincing argument, other than proving that other people lie, too.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Where would the government get them if we had national crop failure?
Wouldn't it be nice if other countries would pitch in and help us.
You know, like we do for them...

Or since we **** everyone off, maybe they will just let us all starve to death.
I know there will be those of us, who have their shelters filled with foodstuff to the ceiling,
but they won't share, cause they are just *******s

Old 09-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I suggest you look into the history of why Medicare came to be in the first place.
Yes, to buy the votes of old people. Sheesh. Everyone knows that.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:15 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,594 times
Quote:
Yes, to buy the votes of old people. Sheesh. Everyone knows that.

Did you hear that on Fox News? I am not surprised as they seem the most ignorant.
In reality medicare was established because insuring old people was too much of a risk for private insurance companies and as a result they demanded extremely high premiums, prohibitive to all but the most affluent. The government stepped and fixed the problem by funding Medicare.
Another job well done by our democratic system.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, you haven't made any convincing argument, other than proving that other people lie, too.
Don't apologize to/for me. Apologize for your country, and your congress, your
president, and your fellow citizens, and the dog down the street.

You do realize that the rest of the world laughs at our "healthcare debate".
How nonproductive it is, for our country and it's "GENERAL WELFARE"

Old 09-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Did you hear that on Fox News? I am not surprised as they seem the most ignorant.
In reality medicare was established because insuring old people was too much of a risk for private insurance companies which translated into extremely high premiums, prohibitive to all but the most affluent people. The government stepped and fix the problem by funding Medicare.
Another job well done by our democratic system.
No, I didn't hear it on fox news.

Politicians take from some to give to others, in hopes the others will vote for them. Especially Democrats.

So, that's fact. I don't need anyone to "tell" me that, it is observed reality.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Don't apologize to/for me. Apologize for your country, and your congress, your
president, and your fellow citizens, and the dog down the street.

You do realize that the rest of the world laughs at our "healthcare debate".
How nonproductive it is, for our country and it's "GENERAL WELFARE"
So, you are going to, for sake of your ego, lie to yourself about the plain meaning of the Constitution, in order to justify your thirst for goodies paid for by robbing someone else.

That's pathetic.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice if other countries would pitch in and help us.
You know, like we do for them...

Or since we **** everyone off, maybe they will just let us all starve to death.
I know there will be those of us, who have their shelters filled with foodstuff to the ceiling,
but they won't share, cause they are just *******s
The Ants and the Grasshopper

The people who swear in disgust at the ants are, indeed, a peril to the future.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:27 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Let me explain a very simple truth. Our government does nothing unless a lot of people can make a lot of money. Or more specifically, if it isn't good for businesses or the wealthy, it isn't going to happen.

Medicare was no more needed in its day than any other welfare program is needed today. So why are some welfare programs like medicare so popular, while others are so unpopular? As the saying goes, "follow the money".

I need you to keep in mind, the Affordable Care Act was effectively written by insurance companies. The biggest beneficiary of the mandate are the insurance companies. A secondary beneficiary would be big-business who are struggling to provide healthcare for their employees because of the increasing costs. Businesses would prefer to offload the cost of healthcare from themselves onto "the public".

Medicare and other interventions in healthcare has artificially raised the price of healthcare to such an extent that it is basically unaffordable. While doctors, hospitals, lawyers, and bankers are raking in the profits.

Though, the banks are getting concerned about the ever-increasing rates of bankruptcy from people defaulting on their medical bills. To protect their income, they would rather get government guarantees.

I do not believe that the American people were ever so selfish and heartless that they would just let the elderly die. If they had been that selfish and heartless, they never would have created medicare to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies