Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 01:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Health care is NOT a commodity.

The makers of devices, drugs, and the various sundries of healthcare would disagree. Ditto for the highly educated providers.

Are they not to make a profit for their work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
The makers of devices, drugs, and the various sundries of healthcare would disagree.

According to the leftists here, no. Not only have they no right to a profit, they have no right to say no, nor direct their own lives or ventures, they are now tools of the state, enslaved to the "right" to have them work for your benefit.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I do not believe that the American people were ever so selfish and heartless that they would just let the elderly die. If they had been that selfish and heartless, they never would have created medicare to begin with.
The costs of insurance are so great, that there's a growing movement inside the medical system to simply move away from insurance entirely, to return to free market medicine.

The cost reductions afforded to consumers by this approach are stunning, to say the least. It moves health care services from the "bankrupting" price to the "discretionary spending" level.

Government will only worsen the inefficiencies and excess costs, because it will always protect its constituents from market forces. Just get the government out and things will work out fine.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:41 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
"I didn't have time to store any food," complained the grasshopper; "I was so busy playing music that before I knew it the summer was gone."

The ants shook their heads in disgust, turned their backs on the grasshopper and went on with their work.

Someone forgot to tell the ants, that sometimes **** happens

Weather History: The Great Flood of 1927 - YouTube

Old 09-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
"I didn't have time to store any food," complained the grasshopper; "I was so busy playing music that before I knew it the summer was gone."

The ants shook their heads in disgust, turned their backs on the grasshopper and went on with their work.

Someone forgot to tell the ants, that sometimes **** happens

Weather History: The Great Flood of 1927 - YouTube
Your criticism was of those who were diligent and self reliant, because they would ostensibly not allow you to take what they had worked for. Theft as a means of prosperity is NOT possible.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:48 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Which will be done via a single payer system, and not an NHS. The main reason is as follows: pragmatism and well, crap, we already have one in this country anyway, Medicare.

Is the current system a disaster? Yes. Will a single payer system be a disaster? Probably not, but it won't be a "good" system. Probably very average.

I came to this conclusion upon thinking about how much of a burden providing health insurance must be for businesses. Even pre-ACA, it's like a $5,000/year tab for a healthy employee. Also, I think compassion has entered the equation as well. And finally, people being bankrupt from medical bills essentially takes that person out of the economy for life.

I just don't see why we can't have it in this country.

THAT said, I have a message to the left: In this country, a public health care system WILL NOT work without having a ROBUST and THRIVING private health insurance and health care system with which millions of Americans with the means can be taken off the dole and not even use the public system. This will be vital. We do not have resources for 330 million unhealthy people to be on a public system.

So the left needs to do the following:
  • You need to completely and totally repeal the affordable care act in its entirety.
  • You need to roll back private health insurance regulation to the level of auto insurance.
We need to provide ample incentives for companies to provide private health insurance for their people as a benefit. If the bottom line just doesn't work, particularly for minimum wage workers at restaurants, then they just use Medicare.

The ultimate goal here is to prevent people from going into financial ruin due to circumstances they did not choose. We can also reduce the burden on businesses.

While I'm usually wary of government involvement, but simply put, I've concluded that healthcare exists outside of free market forces. It's one of those things that everyone will need at some point

Am I becoming a Democrat? Absolutely not. But I have a long road ahead of me to convince the right-wing in this country.
Holy smokes!!!!!

Did your account get hacked? You're one of the most vocal libertarians on CD.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You have an impossible road. The constitution does not allow for single payer healthcare. You will therefore never convince constitutional conservatives to support it.
The constitution doesn't prohibit single payer health care.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The constitution doesn't prohibit single payer health care.
It absolutely does.

Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
In the quote above, to what entity does "the United States" refer?

Old 09-20-2014, 02:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
The makers of devices, drugs, and the various sundries of healthcare would disagree. Ditto for the highly educated providers.

Quote:
According to the leftists here, no. Not only have they no right to a profit, they have no right to say no, nor direct their own lives or ventures, they are now tools of the state, enslaved to the "right" to have them work for your benefit.
Not sure how you determined the "leftists" oppose the free market or profits, and your generalized exaggeration is simply incorrect. The problem with our health care system is that there is not a "free market" when it comes to the healthcare marketplace. It does not work like other free markets as there is no choice. You don't choose to need health care and you have no choice regarding hospitals, nursing homes, physicians. The health care industry does not operate as other free markets operate and it never will. It may be a commodity, but there is no choice.

Steven Brill’s 26,000-word health-care story, in one sentence - The Washington Post

Old 09-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
It absolutely does.

In the quote above, to what entity does "the United States" refer?

Quote:
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies