Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the left still agree with multiculturalism?
Yes 20 74.07%
No 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 09:55 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
I'm just saying that there are no more conservatives in the traditionalist sense (like pre-WWII). They've been taken over by the lefties and show no challenge to the establishment.
What you're crying about has nothing to do with the OP, so take your soapbox and go play somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
First time I've ever heard that. Why don't you tell me?

Nothing wrong with people from other cultures immigration to this nation. But please answer my question in the OP. Thanks.

Where did I say they shouldn't have their own identity? Reread my question.
Why should I answer your question when I reject the premise outright as nonsense? You are the one saying there is some singular US culture that immigrants should adopt...I'm asking you what that is. If you can't answer that then your original post doesn't have anything to stand on.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:29 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Sounds like I read it just fine. You are in favor of freedom in America as long as people do it in the way you want. Which means you aren't in favor of people living their lives the way they please, just the way you want.

Then expect others to respect that you want to tell others how to live their lives, as well as disparaging them, by not expressing themselves using their freedom of speech. Since it makes you look bad and less people will listen to you.
Incorrect. Show me where I've said they should drop their previous culture while immigrating to the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Why should I answer your question when I reject the premise outright as nonsense? You are the one saying there is some singular US culture that immigrants should adopt...I'm asking you what that is. If you can't answer that then your original post doesn't have anything to stand on.
Not really. I also happen to mention Western culture in my OP, which really isn't restricted just to the US. So mainly, ideals, norms, systems, etc that are acceptable to Western society. Thanks for trying though.

Last edited by e30is; 09-20-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 01:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There isn't a law against it but why migrate here if you don't plan on assimilating into our society? Nothing wrong with retaining one's native culture or language at home but out in mainstream America blend in rather than remaining separate and standing out.
It's an argument, but not a good one.

Failing to learn the language, customs, and culture handicap one's self in terms of economic viability. Do this enough, with enough egging on by liberal fightmongers, and you eventually reach a point where you have no common ground for a society, with various factions attempting to dominate the rest.

There's a name coined for such destructive fighting after forced "multiculturalism". Balkanization.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:36 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
America has been multicultural from its birth: the British, Germans, irish, Italians, Greek, Poles, Jews all had their own cultures and yet managed to contribute to the wealth of the country. It has always been like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
It's an argument, but not a good one.

Failing to learn the language, customs, and culture handicap one's self in terms of economic viability. Do this enough, with enough egging on by liberal fightmongers, and you eventually reach a point where you have no common ground for a society, with various factions attempting to dominate the rest.

There's a name coined for such destructive fighting after forced "multiculturalism". Balkanization.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
America has been multicultural from its birth: the British, Germans, irish, Italians, Greek, Poles, Jews all had their own cultures and yet managed to contribute to the wealth of the country. It has always been like this.
You are entirely wrong.

Yes, they had ethnicities and religious differences. They, however, shared the COMMON AMERICAN CULTURE, which was one of industriousness, work ethic, self reliance, a belief in individual freedom.

Those people who came here did NOT come here to get handouts. They came to work, and work they did. Very, VERY hard, because such opportunites to work did not exist where they came from. And they fully understood that it was the things they valued in common that made it possible.

They were farmers, steel mill workers, miners, loggers, dairymen and 10,000 other things, all of which were about WORK. They did not come here to force others to learn their language, or to get entitled education or food or housing. They came, not with wealth, but with a willingness to risk work for a reward. The belief in risk and reward, and that your reward would not be taken from you is what they all had in common.

And I know this, because my family came here for those exact reasons. And they shared those with others unlike them - and THAT is what made it work. THAT is what you and all liberals today decry with a fanaticism that scares any rational person.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:14 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Well multiculturalism is a big fat failure in Europe. Too bad liberals in the US can't learn from others mistakes. They just ho hum along thinking oh it's not multiculturalism they just didn't do it right so...............we will drive on here in the US and join the big fat fail club. Then of course blame everybody else for the failure.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:20 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Wrong. We formed our own culture from the melting pot of these different cultures and adopted English as our national de facto language. We have an identifying culture with minority cultures living among us. That does not make us multi-cultural per se.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:22 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
Quote:
You are entirely wrong.

Yes, they had ethnicities and religious differences. They, however, shared the COMMON AMERICAN CULTURE, which was one of industriousness, work ethic, self reliance, a belief in individual freedom.
There is no such thing as "COMMON AMERICAN CULTURE of industriousness, work ethic, self reliance, a belief in individual freedom" and never was. People of all walks of life were coming to America, including Amish farmers and Sicilian mafiosos. The industriousness and self-reliance was forced upon them as there was no public assistance available. next time first get a book, read it and only then post here.

Quote:
Those people who came here did NOT come here to get handouts.
Because there were no handouts available at that time. If they were, they would have taken advantage of them as well.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:27 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Hispanic immigrants are assimilating just as quickly as earlier groups - The Washington Post

The truth is Hispanics are assimilating, melting in just like every group before them.

I do think Europe has a problem with multiculturalism but let them worry about that.
The Washington Post? Hispanics are not assimilating like the earlier immigrants because our government has created an atmosphere so they don't have to. They by far have the largest quotas for legal immigration and family reunifications and are by far the largest group here illegally. That results in colonization not assimilation. They may learn English but a good majority don't want to speak it unless they have to. They are being pandered to by businesses and government in Spanish and that's just the tip of the iceberg. What happened to diversity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies