Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times

Advertisements

America's major breweries are now owned by foreigners - Brazilians, Belgians, Canadians, and now Russians. Even apparently independent craft breweries (ie Blue Moon) are owned by the major breweries- now foreign owned. What's a patriot to drink, and what happened to the US beer industry that made it uncompetitive and ripe for foreign takeovers?

'Quintessentially American' Pabst Blue Ribbon bought by Russian brewer | Business | theguardian.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 05:11 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Kewl. I drink an English ale, and it keeps me happy. Why are you worried?

Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
America's major breweries are now owned by foreigners - Brazilians, Belgians, Canadians, and now Russians. Even apparently independent craft breweries (ie Blue Moon) are owned by the major breweries- now foreign owned. What's a patriot to drink, and what happened to the US beer industry that made it uncompetitive and ripe for foreign takeovers?

'Quintessentially American' Pabst Blue Ribbon bought by Russian brewer | Business | theguardian.com
Well I drink Yuengling and its still American owned Plus there are so many state side micro
breweries if you look and do your research.

Who drinks the Majors, when you can have so much fun with the minors

Old 09-20-2014, 05:22 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
The American beer industry is alive and well and still very much American. The American "yellow water with alcohol" industry, however...

Old 09-20-2014, 05:22 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,435 times
While major corps. are foreign owned, I am seeing a lot of small local brew companies , aka microbrews, making head winds in supermarkets and becoming more and more popular. I for one welcome our delicious new microbrew overlords of the beer market.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

Blue Moon was never even a craft brewery. It is owned and brewed by MillerCoors, which is owned by a South African company.

This now leaves Yuengling is now the only American owned big brewer. Everyone has their own tastes, but I'd suggest that the most patriotic decision would be to drink beer that's as local as possible. Craft breweries in the US are second to non in the world so the quality isn't usually a question. And it's very patriotic to support American owned small businesses.

I will now go open the growler that I bought today rom one of the neighborhood microbrewers.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:36 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Blue Moon was never even a craft brewery. It is owned and brewed by MillerCoors, which is owned by a South African company.

This now leaves Yuengling is now the only American owned big brewer. Everyone has their own tastes, but I'd suggest that the most patriotic decision would be to drink beer that's as local as possible. Craft breweries in the US are second to non in the world so the quality isn't usually a question. And it's very patriotic to support American owned small businesses.

I will now go open the growler that I bought today rom one of the neighborhood microbrewers.
Don't forget the Boston Beer Company, which is roughly the same size as Yuengling.

That's a stat that actually kinda surprised me. Sam Adams is available everywhere, while Yuengling is not. I remember having to drive to PA to get it not that long ago.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:44 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post

Don't forget New Belgium Brewery, makers of Fat Tire and other incredible brews. They are opening a second brewery on the east coast, making their beer even more accessible to all.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Well I drink Yuengling and its still American owned Plus there are so many state side micro
breweries if you look and do your research.

Who drinks the Majors, when you can have so much fun with the minors
For the money Yuengling can't be beat.

Yuengling | America's Oldest Brewery | Official Web Site

Yes, there is better beer but for the price of Budweiser it can't be beat. I also make my own. I am lucky in that I live near two micro brewers. A little pricey but for the occasional change it's cool to have them near by. I can even walk home from the one.

http://mbcpub.com/

Old 09-20-2014, 05:50 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Don't forget the Boston Beer Company, which is roughly the same size as Yuengling.

That's a stat that actually kinda surprised me. Sam Adams is available everywhere, while Yuengling is not. I remember having to drive to PA to get it not that long ago.
Who'd have guessed? Yuengling is No. 4 and Boston Brewery is No. 5.
And yet somehow Boston Brewery is considered a microbrewery. I'm not a fan of Yuengling but at some point Boston B has to be considered a macro even though they have craft type brews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies