Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:25 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
How kind of them.
I agree. It's very important that someone stand up for the rights of students not to be proselytized to by the government.

Last edited by hammertime33; 09-21-2014 at 12:35 AM..

Old 09-21-2014, 12:30 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Here's what I think...against prayer in public? Don't do it. Nobody is hurting you by doing it themselves.

(This is the same liberal argument for gay marriage and abortion-"against gay marriage? Don't have one.")
^ EXACTLY! I am a proud liberal who agrees w both of these statements.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:31 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You do know that many liberals are religious So no their heads are not exploding.
Seriously. Oh the ignorance.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I've never quite got the hang of the when's and where's of leading people in prayer. Church, ok. Congress Sessions, Football games, classrooms....? Weekly? Daily? 5 times a day?

While I suspect people are making up rules as we go along to fit whatever political agenda they want to push, I'd be happy to hear what someone else thinks.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
As long as such prayers are also made to MY mythological deity, no problems.

I'm also OK with this one:

Old 09-21-2014, 04:26 AM

604 posts, read 934,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"keeping faith on the field"? I'm don't know what that means and either does the person who wrote it. This is the problem with prayer warriors, they really don't know where or why the prayers should be said....
I for one, know exactly why prayers should be said. It reminds me there is a power greater than myself and keeps my life in perspective. I suspect other prayerful people have equally valid reasons. I also suspect there are very few who pray to anger others. In my own experience with the Christian community I find very, very few people wishing to be vengeful. I pray you too will find such peace.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:07 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
As long as such prayers are also made to MY mythological deity, no problems.

I'm also OK with this one:
Do they baptize you with spaghetti sauce? If so, I'm in!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Fox News staunchly supports Christian prayer before public meetings, football games, in schools, etc....

Elisabeth Hasselbeck Praises Public School Cheerleaders For Defying Ban On Public, Pre-Game Prayer - NewsHounds

Why don't those on Fox News publicly pray on their shows?
They support people HAVING THE RIGHT to pray before public meetings like our Forefather's did at EACH AND EVERY MEETING AND BEFORE OPENNING ALL SESSIONS OF CONGRESS, football games, in school, etc...

You should know the difference.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Fox News staunchly supports Christian prayer before public meetings, football games, in schools, etc....

Elisabeth Hasselbeck Praises Public School Cheerleaders For Defying Ban On Public, Pre-Game Prayer - NewsHounds

Why don't those on Fox News publicly pray on their shows?

A good exercise of tolerance.

What if everyday it was a different denomination of Christianity(Catholic, Baptist, Methodist...) and mixed in with totally different religions(Jewish, Hindu, Native Medicine Man, Islam....)

Old 09-21-2014, 07:32 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Because no matter how Christian Fox News want to appear, they still don't want to spend the money on air time dedicated to prayer.

Also, why is prayer such a big deal? I mean, from the perspective of those outside of your own personal religion, prayer is completely worthless. But honesty, does it actually bother anyone that much? I mean, by definition, freedom of religion means two things: 1) you can pray if you wish and 2) under no circumstance should prayer ever be required! That last one is important because for whatever reason, conservatives have invented a world where freedom of religions means they are free to force their religion on others which is enormously contradictory to anyone who has a brain. Liberals, to counter out the conservative stupidity, created a stupidity of their own with this idea that people who pray might offend others. As an agnostic humanist, prayer doesn't offend me and I see no reason why it should. It saddens me a bit that people pray to heal diseases that we can assume God created, but that's just me.

Prayer shouldn't be regulated. It's that simple. It should never be required ever and it need not be banned. The only reason I can think of prayer being inappropriate is if they prayer is clearly hostile to those of other religions or being far to obnoxious and flamboyant, i.e. speaking in tongues and crying about the non-believers. But if someone wants to have a polite prayer in public, the only person who would be offended is Jesus, who was against public prayer. Not that I've ever met a Christian who was aware of this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies