Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:16 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Why the bitterness??

This had been the American way of life for a lot of years. In many places, however, that's no longer the case. Because a few people decided that they didn't want this in their schools or their neighborhoods, those in power decided to cave in to those demands. And you wonder why schools today are in the shape they're in now.

Not my point here. The point is Fox News is only pandering to its base and has nothing to do with what it flaps its trap about.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:18 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I think you should appreciate some level of being Fair and Balance. What if they had a Muslim pray, then a Hindu and to just to make things fair, say the lords prayer.
Even Muslim Show do not start with prayer.

If you presenting a news story it has have elements that is fair to all.
Great argument for ANY public prayer at a tax payer paid event such as schools or before a congress session!

Thank you for understanding the issue why public prayer has no place at public events!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:56 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Great argument for ANY public prayer at a tax payer paid event such as schools or before a congress session!

Thank you for understanding the issue why public prayer has no place at public events!
Did not say that, This is a vacuum and standard was of a news show to put out fair news story.

This country was based on Christian values and God has touched this country. There is nothing wrong with public pray. You atheist can abstain any time and buy a snack at concession at you local football game.

Good try to wiggle your point in!

Old 09-21-2014, 09:58 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Because no matter how Christian Fox News want to appear, they still don't want to spend the money on air time dedicated to prayer.

Also, why is prayer such a big deal? I mean, from the perspective of those outside of your own personal religion, prayer is completely worthless. But honesty, does it actually bother anyone that much? I mean, by definition, freedom of religion means two things: 1) you can pray if you wish and 2) under no circumstance should prayer ever be required! That last one is important because for whatever reason, conservatives have invented a world where freedom of religions means they are free to force their religion on others which is enormously contradictory to anyone who has a brain. Liberals, to counter out the conservative stupidity, created a stupidity of their own with this idea that people who pray might offend others. As an agnostic humanist, prayer doesn't offend me and I see no reason why it should. It saddens me a bit that people pray to heal diseases that we can assume God created, but that's just me.

Prayer shouldn't be regulated. It's that simple. It should never be required ever and it need not be banned. The only reason I can think of prayer being inappropriate is if they prayer is clearly hostile to those of other religions or being far to obnoxious and flamboyant, i.e. speaking in tongues and crying about the non-believers. But if someone wants to have a polite prayer in public, the only person who would be offended is Jesus, who was against public prayer. Not that I've ever met a Christian who was aware of this...
"why is prayer such a big deal?" To re-phrase, Why is freedom of speech such a big deal?

In this country you are free to NOT believe and others that do believe should not be denied the opportunity to do so.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Default You Think?

Quote:
Who says they have to remain neutral? And exactly what does remaining neutral mean anyway? If they want prayer at political meetings (congress/city council) why not a political news show?

What a lame excuse!

Fox News needs to start putting their actions where their mouth is!
Don't confuse a New Program with a Opinion Program. For the record all of the net works are guilty of this. You as the news viewer must make your own judgment and have many different sources to form your opinion.

Have you listen to Rachel Maddow and Chris Mathews Lately?

Old 09-21-2014, 10:07 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,898 times
Quote:
Not my point here. The point is Fox News is only pandering to its base and has nothing to do with what it flaps its trap about.
Yes! Give us a prayer Fox News unless there is something you're trying to hide or just don't want to waste advertising time on a prayer? is advertising revenue more important to Fox News than a short prayer? Could that be that the only god Fox News believe in is Mammon?

As they in the Middle East: it's not about Allah, it's always about Moolah lol

Last edited by random_thoughts; 09-21-2014 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-21-2014, 12:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
There is no difference and absolutely no excuse for Fox News to be outraged about a public prayer ban when they themselves have no interest in prayer.
You realize that everyone with half a brain sees what you're doing here. Everyone else? Well, they're glued to Fox and Friends. This is the lowest-hanging fruit ever. In fact, it's fruit that has already fallen to the ground. And rot has set in.

It's a true shame that so many people allow themselves to be led by this media Pied Piper. But if you travel the world (and I mean REALLY travel the world) you will see that America doesn't have as many dimwits as most other countries. We're actually pretty good about creating critical thinkers. We'll never be Scotland. But we're not that bad.

PS -- I would LOVE to see them begin with the five pillars of the subgenius. Drop that on society and let them try to wrap their heads around it.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wouldnt it only **** off people who arent tolerant of others beliefs?
Tolerant? The country is drowning in tolerance. Everyone is a special snowflake these days with their own status. It's unfortunate that Christianity is now on par with every other group with a victim mentality but that's what happens when something has to stand on it's own. Tolerance doesn't and hasn't ever meant people who don't like something must never speak against it, or forever be silent while having to give up time in their own life to bear witness to whatever someone wants to expose them to. PERSONAL BELIEFS should not extend to PUBLIC SPACE.

Tolerance is something we do to be polite to each other, it doesn't mean we all agree or believe the same thing. It has nothing to do with groups of people who have nothing else in common except occupying the same space for whatever reason having to watch others practice their PERSONAL BELEIFS before they can get on with the business at hand, whether it be a football game, a math class or whatever.

What gets me is that this very simple concept is lost on a lot of people who seem to redefine words to fit a personal agenda. THEY GET to do whatever they want (that's tolerance) but they WANT everyone else to stop and watch (that's beyond tolerance).

Last edited by Ceece; 09-21-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"why is prayer such a big deal?" To re-phrase, Why is freedom of speech such a big deal?

In this country you are free to NOT believe and others that do believe should not be denied the opportunity to do so.
Who's arguing otherwise? My free speech, which is important, allows me to say prayer is a waste of time. Do I care enough to have it banned or think it should be banned? No. If people want to pray, fine. Pray away. Just never, under any circumstance, should prayer be required of anyone.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:53 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Fox News staunchly supports Christian prayer before public meetings, football games, in schools, etc....

Elisabeth Hasselbeck Praises Public School Cheerleaders For Defying Ban On Public, Pre-Game Prayer - NewsHounds

Why don't those on Fox News publicly pray on their shows?
Great article--especially the last paragraph.

"The Protestant and Catholic versions of the Lord's Prayer are different. Wonder which version Hasselbeck would approve of? Also wonder what Hasselbeck would think if a group of public school Muslim cheerleaders led a predominately Muslim crowd in the Shahada?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies