Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 03:02 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If he did it's because they would get thrown in jail. Today, in the U.S you'll land in court, in the middle east, you'll end up beheaded.
Actually, he said that because he found people who prayed in public to be hypocrites. Them praying in public was their way of saying they were better and closer to God, and Jesus found that to be wrong.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:27 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Actually, he said that because he found people who prayed in public to be hypocrites. Them praying in public was their way of saying they were better and closer to God, and Jesus found that to be wrong.
I agree with you on this. I am a person who prays regularly, but I find it hinky when people want to pray
in public. It makes me uncomfortable, and does seem as though they are saying, I am holier than thou. We said the Lord's prayer when I was in grade school and so we could tell the Catholics from the Protestants by how they said the prayer. Of course, the Jews opted out. Not good, and not necessary. Any kid who ever took a test, or played on a team has prayed in school, so enforced prayer is not necessary.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:34 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
wow, supporting Christian prayer, what a terrible thing, horrible, just outrageous!!! I tell you... screaming!! <sarcasm>
Okay, since Christian prayer is good, and Fox carries water for the "Christian" Right, the question posed is why don't they do it? Ashamed of these proclaimed "beliefs".
Nope, fact is, they don't believe it, but they can continue their phony "fair-and-balanced" posturing (being open about their true pro-plutocracy anti-Christian agenda would lose a carefully-nurtured part of their audience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Fox News staunchly supports Christian prayer before public meetings, football games, in schools, etc....
Elisabeth Hasselbeck Praises Public School Cheerleaders For Defying Ban On Public, Pre-Game Prayer - NewsHounds
Why don't those on Fox News publicly pray on their shows?
Good question, since they actively carry water for the "religious" Right, dutifully demonize other religions etc. Remember their activism in initiating a phony controversy over flag lapel pins (which probably came from some RW think tank).

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You do know that many liberals are religious So no their heads are not exploding.
Exactly right - however Fox dittoheads only know what they are told.
Let's see, some of the things Fox hates - social security, welfare, universal health care, all "help the poor" social programs, the lower class vote, all taxpayer "handouts" - except for the rich.
What do they like? Shoveling money to the rich, corporate prisons, rule by the wealthy (Fox considers them better, more "responsible", people). Remember, their inheritance-baby candidate, Romney, believes that half of Americans are lazy slackers. Their favored "leaders" are corporate CEOs and people of wealth.
Nothing more ungodly than the blasphemous Faux News which often preaches against the teachings of Jesus - apparently with their audience looking the other way.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:48 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I am actually laughing out loud. Liberals sure are afraid of Fox news.

Go watch Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews and CNN and the rest of the ultra liberal news outlets. You will be much happier. You know, birds of a feather....

Old 09-21-2014, 03:54 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree with you on this. I am a person who prays regularly, but I find it hinky when people want to pray
in public. It makes me uncomfortable, and does seem as though they are saying, I am holier than thou. We said the Lord's prayer when I was in grade school and so we could tell the Catholics from the Protestants by how they said the prayer. Of course, the Jews opted out. Not good, and not necessary. Any kid who ever took a test, or played on a team has prayed in school, so enforced prayer is not necessary.
You seem truly fair on this issue. Yes, public displays could be a statement of superior attitude toward the "heathens", or maybe not. There is a religious, less OT fundamentalist, "left" which supports Jesus' teachings as a lifestyle - and which is also ignored by the media.
Prayer and religion itself are private matters imo, and who knows if public displays are really sincere anyway? I see people praying in fast food restaurants about to ingest greasy food, and I wonder if they are praying for their health - seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies