Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 09:13 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
In Florida, Arizona, Mississippi and Texas the applicant must show a stamped DOB and or a passport to verify your information with 2 local bills, to get a DL. If those Doc do not match the applicant will not get a DL.
Florida does not Recognize gay marriage as well.
Plus the other factor is the requirements of Homeland Defense. All States are bounded by Federal Regulation to carry out these Regs. These regulation is closely monitored and the all these are strictly enforced by the states.

Yes either a legal name change or a Marriage cert. that meets Texas Standards. Its all about State Rights.

The Civil War of 1860 was about State Rights.

I am sorry I am so suspicious of their motives, but the minority is trying to force their values and change laws to have some sort of forced approval. The other Issue is Texas is at the heart of the Bible Belt and tis could cause a Spiral Awakening,

Never under estimate the power of the good Lord!

This indeed is the tip of the iceberg.
There is no law that requires TX to do this. That has been my point.

Most of this is incoherent rambling and not applicable to a secular government.

However, I can tell you that you are very confused about requirements for Texas driver's licenses. I have one of those Texas driver's licenses. A birth certificate or Passport is required, as is an SSN but not utility bills (not that it's relevant).

Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

However, I can tell you that you are very confused about requirements for Texas driver's licenses. I have one of those Texas driver's licenses. A birth certificate or Passport is required, as is an SSN but not utility bills (not that it's relevant).
The Texas DPS clearly spells out primary, secondary and supporting documents, and combinations thereof that are acceptable.

It also very, very clearly states that a same-sex marriage license is NOT acceptable. Period. It is the current LAW in Texas. If the clerk had not refused the same-sex document, she could have lost her job.

TxDPS - Change Information on Your Driver License or ID Card

The very vocal minority in this thread refuses to acknowledge this--and cannot seem to grasp the concept of differing state laws.

All the BS about how she shouldn't have to do this, etc. etc. etc.

Until the law is changed, either abide by it--and choose another alternative--or go back to California or another state that recognizes same-sex "marriages."

Old 09-28-2014, 09:48 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,194 times
Quote:

Incoherent , well I think I made my point because of your response. The Utility bills I had to produce as I was told by the clerk FL DMV. Is to satisfy the Federal Requirement. ( Unless Fl. DMV are handing out wrong info)
I did forget about the applicants SSN Card and It is required to be original doc, not a photo copy. Good Point.

The Religious factor may gain ground if it offends Texans. We will have to see what happens??????

Other states have been taking pot shots at Texas and they did with Arizona. (overAZ1070)

Bottom line let Texans Run Texas!

Old 09-28-2014, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:

When I moved counties and changed my DL I had to bring proof of my new residence.

There are a number of reasons for obtaining a Texas DL..new, renew, move, change name, etc.
Each has documents that one must produce to show proof.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:21 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,102,926 times
Why do threads that are started with an outright lie allowed to persist for so long? I'm not talking about moderator duties here - why are you people giving attention to a "problem" that literally does not exist?

If you ignore trolls and liars, they'll stop trolling and lying. They're just looking for attention - don't give it to them.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:25 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why do threads that are started with an outright lie allowed to persist for so long? I'm not talking about moderator duties here - why are you people giving attention to a "problem" that literally does not exist?

If you ignore trolls and liars, they'll stop trolling and lying. They're just looking for attention - don't give it to them.
I do not see your point. Most of us is going by what the State Requires along with the Federal requirements.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The Texas DPS clearly spells out primary, secondary and supporting documents, and combinations thereof that are acceptable.

It also very, very clearly states that a same-sex marriage license is NOT acceptable. Period. It is the current LAW in Texas. If the clerk had not refused the same-sex document, she could have lost her job.

TxDPS - Change Information on Your Driver License or ID Card

The very vocal minority in this thread refuses to acknowledge this--and cannot seem to grasp the concept of differing state laws.

All the BS about how she shouldn't have to do this, etc. etc. etc.

Until the law is changed, either abide by it--and choose another alternative--or go back to California or another state that recognizes same-sex "marriages."
I don't think it's a minority (maybe at this point, given that it's mostly only the strongly anti-gay posters who are still posting on the thread) - and there are plenty of heterosexual conservatives (yes, I am one!) who are strongly opposed to this. I grasp the concept of differing state laws. That includes the ability of CA to allow people to change their names the way they see fit. Information on the DPS website is not the law. It may reiterate the law, but the law consists of constitutions, statutes, case law, and administrative regulations. I have posted actual law; you guys have not. You are not more familiar with the law than me. There is something called the Full Faith and Credit Clause that may be applicable here - all you "constitutionalists" should be interested.

Moreover, at least as of a few days ago, at least one page on the DPS website did not say anything about same-sex marriage licenses not being okay to prove name changes or new TX residents who had their names legally changed in another state. (It did say existing TX residents couldn't use same-sex marriage licenses as proof of name changes.) See the link in the OP for corroboration.

Texas requires a Social Security number to be given when you get a driver's license. Her name had been changed with the Social Security Administration. I'm not sure, but I believe this might prevent Texas from issuing the license in her maiden name. So what should she do? Not drive? That's probably what you think, because she's gay. This isn't about gay marriage, as this has nothing directly to do with gay marriage. It's about her being gay. It's sad, but many of you would probably be thrilled by all gays not being allowed to drive at all. This thread has been very eye-opening to me and I'm starting to realize that the left's ad nauseum accusations of conservatives being full of hate may not be without merit.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When I moved counties and changed my DL I had to bring proof of my new residence.

There are a number of reasons for obtaining a Texas DL..new, renew, move, change name, etc.
Each has documents that one must produce to show proof.
When moving within Texas, you don't need to present proof of residency. You can do it all online actually. To renew your license, you don't need the proof either. I have moved and changed my driver's license by simply filling out a form with the new address.

It IS true that you need two items to prove you're a Texas resident. I was not aware of this. I just looked it up. I apologize for being wrong and am, unlike some other posters, willing to admit when I'm wrong. However, they don't have to be bills. This is likely a new requirement and that is why I was unfamiliar with off the top of my head.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
Quote:

Texas requires a Social Security number to be given when you get a driver's license. Her name had been changed with the Social Security Administration. I'm not sure, but I believe this might prevent Texas from issuing the license in her maiden name. So what should she do? Not drive? That's probably what you think, because she's gay. This isn't about gay marriage, as this has nothing directly to do with gay marriage. It's about her being gay. It's sad, but many of you would probably be thrilled by all gays not being allowed to drive at all. This thread has been very eye-opening to me and I'm starting to realize that the left's ad nauseum accusations of conservatives being full of hate may not be without merit.
You cannot be serious with this last paragraph of your post.

Why is abiding by state law (Texas Constitutional amendment not recognizing same-sex marriage) equated with hating gays and not wanting them to drive? That makes NO sense at all.

If that were true (and it's not), she would have no other alternatives in submitting other documents. Texas wouldn't give her any other options at all.

The law will eventually be changed. Until that point, the existing rules need to be followed.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:53 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Why is abiding by state law (Texas Constitutional amendment not recognizing same-sex marriage) equated with hating gays and not wanting them to drive? That makes NO sense at all.
But state law in Texas says no such thing. Taking this document as proof of a name change from straight people - but not from gay people - is a choice made by Texas DPS. Nothing in Texas laws says it must be this way.

Colorado has the exact same Constitutional amendment banning the recognition of same-sex marriages, yet Colorado accepts legally issued marriage certificates from other states as proof of a legal name change for gay people without recognizing the gay marriage. When DOMA was in force and the US Federal Government was forbidden from recognizing same-sex marriages, the US State Department accepted legally issued marriage certificates from other states as proof of a legal name change for gay people for purposes of getting a passport without recognizing the gay marriage.

Quote:
The law will eventually be changed. Until that point, the existing rules need to be followed.
And until then, she and other gay people should just shut up about their mistreatment and take it, right?

Texas should be called out for this disgusting, unconstitutional mistreatment of gay people, and Texas should change its rule (and again it's a DPS rule, not something required by Texas law) immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies