Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 06:10 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I recognize that these people are delusional and that nothing can be said to convince them otherwise.
It also brings me to something else. Some of the very persons who will flippantly claim "racism doesn't exist" tend to harbor racist feelings themselves, and then try to cover up for it by saying "I'm not racist" or "It's not racist, it's a fact".

Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
I know that America has moved on from racism, etc, but when some people in the media mention racism over and over, and when some say that America isn't racist, how do you react?

How do you respond when people say racism doesn't exist?
I think they are in denial. I also think that most have a distorted interpretation of the word "racism," and usually couch it in silly politicalspeak. The same goes for the term "existence." Racism is thinking or deciding based on race without full consideration of other possible factors which possibly offer equal or better illumination.

when some say that America isn't racist. I think such a statement is again nonsensical, politically loaded, and deliberately obfuscating. America, the ideal, is not racist. As far as the United States, at the founding, nearly all of institutions were shaped by the enlightenment and liberal to all races and creeds. A terrible exception was that of African slavery. But beneath those institutions was a peculiar, largely-Christian culture that was deeply racist. The DNA of that inbred racism was perhaps 90% European in origin.

As this country evolved, it has slowly removed itself from the terrible legacy endowed to this country. In doing so, it has practically eviserated strict institutional racism, made huge strides against many forms of public racism, and is still making progress with respect to the racism in people's hearts. But ultimately, even if the government becomes fully purified, it is another things to change culture of racism that is in the DNA of all races, some with more deeply encoded racism than others.

But compared to other countries, my goodness, the US is almost without racism, such is the deep racism of most countries I have visited. this is not an excuse for the racism in the US, but a sense of perspective.

As far as the foreign policies of the US versus other countries, I think we are again a work in progress. There was racism in our war with Japan, who in turn were pure racist in their imperial adventures. We were racist in our lack of empathy in destroying so much of Vietnam and Cambodia. And today, thanks to the pro-Israel lobby, we often veer to the edge of racism when discussing the Middle East.

To defeat the racism, racism must be dealt with on a daily basis. And to defeat it, one must recognize it comes in all colors and against all colors. Newfangled, politically-correct definitions cooked up in our ivory towers prevent its defeat.

S.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

How do you respond when people say racism doesn't exist?
I think they are in denial. I also think that most have a distorted interpretation of the word "racism," and usually couch it in silly politicalspeak. The same goes for the term "existence." Racism is thinking or deciding based on race without full consideration of other possible factors which possibly offer equal or better illumination.

when some say that America isn't racist. I think such a statement is again nonsensical, politically loaded, and deliberately obfuscating. America, the ideal, is not racist. As far as the United States, at the founding, nearly all of institutions were shaped by the enlightenment and liberal to all races and creeds. A terrible exception was that of African slavery. But beneath those institutions was a peculiar, largely-Christian culture that was deeply racist. The DNA of that inbred racism was perhaps 90% European in origin.

As this country evolved, it has slowly removed itself from the terrible legacy endowed to this country. In doing so, it has practically eviserated strict institutional racism, made huge strides against many forms of public racism, and is still making progress with respect to the racism in people's hearts. But ultimately, even if the government becomes fully purified, it is another things to change culture of racism that is in the DNA of all races, some with more deeply encoded racism than others.

But compared to other countries, my goodness, the US is almost without racism, such is the deep racism of most countries I have visited. this is not an excuse for the racism in the US, but a sense of perspective.

As far as the foreign policies of the US versus other countries, I think we are again a work in progress. There was racism in our war with Japan, who in turn were pure racist in their imperial adventures. We were racist in our lack of empathy in destroying so much of Vietnam and Cambodia. And today, thanks to the pro-Israel lobby, we often veer to the edge of racism when discussing the Middle East.

To defeat the racism, racism must be dealt with on a daily basis. And to defeat it, one must recognize it comes in all colors and against all colors. Newfangled, politically-correct definitions cooked up in our ivory towers prevent its defeat.

S.
Where is the right of someone if they want to be a racist???

Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why all of this about wanting to be racist?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:58 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
You can be racist all you want... just don't let it infringe on the civil rights of other citizens. That means don't assault, abuse, or discriminate in public. Don't go discriminating in hiring also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The concept of race is false.

It's baseless, not grounded in science, and useless.

Do some people choose to keep racism alive? Yes.
Somewhat. Race is a social construct.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:27 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Sometimes its a racist who says racism is still a problem. I just watched videos on Youtube on neighbor fights, nosey neighbors, crazy neighbors, etc. I found this gem, this guy was ranting about his racist neighbor lady. He never produced evidence or even showed her but went on a paranoid hate filled racist narrative about how racist his neighbors were and dropped the N word around freely as to how they felt about him. Besides racist and paranoid, he came across as extremely insecure and cackled and laughed like a head case. The funny part... he was so paranoid about his neighbor sitting on her back porch "watching" him and being "jealous of what he has" that he bought a shed to block her view of him to "punish" her. The dolt never realized he was in all likelihood doing her a favor. It probably never dawned on him that maybe he was disliked because he was a complete jerk . No, if he wasn't liked it wasn't because he hated his neighbors and they picked up on it, its because they were" racist."
What was sad was that some people took what he said without question and believed it and never once thought to really look at it objectively. Its possible his neighbor or neighbors were racist. He definitely was, and a head case on top of it. I'm glad I don't have to live in that neighborhood.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:18 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
I know that America has moved on from racism, etc, but when some people in the media mention racism over and over, and when some say that America isn't racist, how do you react?
Laughter. Why do you ask?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:45 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Those who actually WANT to be racist are lower than pond scum.

But you can't stop them from being so.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb How do you respond when people say racism doesn't exist?

I just think to myself, "Self, they're probably clueless on a variety of other subjects, too."

Old 09-23-2014, 01:14 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Ignorance is a serious affliction

Quote:
I usually shake my head in utter disgust, since this level of stupidity surely violates some law of nature. I usually tell them that I hope they get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies