Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,738,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Some children bruise easier than others. I used a paddle on all mine and one of them used to bruise on his butt when I would whip him while the others only had redness. I used the same paddle to whip all of them.
Any bruise is too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,132,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I can't believe this stuff still goes on in the United States of America. Some states are like 50 years behind everyone else.

In some areas teacher's unions are amongst the stringest ever. I've heard the teacher's contract in NYC is so convoluted it can take years to get rid of a teacher, even if their behavior is beyond a doubt wrong.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,639,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera2951 View Post
My child is the victim of this child abuse Pegmomof4 is referring to in her post.
NC legistative law states that each school district may make their own rules regarding the use of corporal punishment in schools. McDowell County chooses to use this type of discipline. The law also states that it must be in writing the types of actions that can and will result in corporal punishment. I have yet to see one of those publications. Either way, is two wooden boards taped together with electrical tape an effective tool to beat a child with? If anything, it puts fear and resentment into these children. No wonder NC is near the top of the list for high school drop-out rates.
Let me just say that until this incident, I was not against corporal punishment. I gave consent for my 12 year-old child to receive a paddeling; however, I did not give consent for my child to be abused. Since the incident, my child cannot sleep, he has nightmares, and he is adament that he not be forced to return to this school. As a parent, it is my duty to see that my child feels safe in the environments in which he carries out his activities of daily living; one of those environments includes school. At this time, I cannot send him to school with confidence that he is safe. My position on this matter has clearly been changed.
At the very least, there is bound to be an administrative complaint process that you can follow that will allow you to formally voice your concerns to the school board and seek a change of their policy.

You could also contact an attorney who is familiar with education issues in your state. The state bar association can probably direct you to one if you don't know of any in your area. She/he can help you think about other options.

I shudder to think what my husband would do if our child ever came home with bruises like that caused by any person, much less an adult. He'd be in jail before nightfall for sure.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,445,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I shudder to think what my husband would do if our child ever came home with bruises like that caused by any person, much less an adult. He'd be in jail before nightfall for sure.
Gee, that really proves his superiority, doesn't it.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,639,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Gee, that really proves his superiority, doesn't it.
No one trying to be superior here. He has a hot temper and is fiercely protective of his offspring. An adult bruising his child would have hell to pay, one way or another.

And maybe, just maybe, I was using some hyperbole to make a point.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 19,697 times
Problem with my son's case is that we live in a small town and it seems to me that educators, lawmakers, and attorneys seem to all travel in the same circles. At this point, I am even having difficulty getting the media to bite. It is almost like taboo, and anyone who touches this thinks they might get burned.
The sad truth: the superintendant of schools thinks that there was no excess force used. He has even made mention that maybe my son received these bruises elsewhere. I can assure you that DID NOT happen.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 AM

285 posts, read 1,088,895 times
SHERA,
You are in the right. Your child was physically abused by a teacher in North Carolina. He certainly was not the first, but I hope that he is among the last. For those of you who have any doubt as to whether or not children are being abused in North Carolina school, look at the link on my home page. Let me know if any of the children you see are not victims of child abuse.
You need an attorney, media exposure, and you also need to leave a huge paper trail documenting your failed attempts at justice within your own educational network. Be prepared for backlash in your own community, and be prepared to stick this out, it will not be fixed overnight.
Educators are mandated reporters of child abuse, and each adult who fails to respond to allegations of abuse is another person who can be held liable. Keep track of each and every adult in this system who fails to respond appropriately.
Do this not only for your son, but for all children in your county, who we know are now at risk for being abused in your school district. There seems to be mass confusion on what constitutes child abuse. We can help to clear that up.
When school resumes after the first of the New Year, I know that there will be one less person at that school. It will be the boy who was abused, because I know that this mother is going to home school this child to protect him from further harm. Should it not be the abusive teacher who does not return?

Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,732,168 times
This is definitly abuse.

It's makes me sick to realize that this is acceptable and in some cases even encouraged in our society.
NO CHILD DESERVES TO BE BRUISED.

If these children were mine and no criminal charges could be brought,then a civil suit would definitly be in the works.

I would also seek counseling for my child for the permanent damages they may have.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,132,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera2951 View Post
Problem with my son's case is that we live in a small town and it seems to me that educators, lawmakers, and attorneys seem to all travel in the same circles. At this point, I am even having difficulty getting the media to bite. It is almost like taboo, and anyone who touches this thinks they might get burned.
The sad truth: the superintendant of schools thinks that there was no excess force used. He has even made mention that maybe my son received these bruises elsewhere. I can assure you that DID NOT happen.

Have you tried contacting media outside the town? Just a thought but they might be interested in the story.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,521,481 times
A spanking to me is not nearly the abuse drugs like ritalin are.

I am shocked by how many parents don't have a problem with having their child drugged to keep him to sit still but an old fashioned paddle like our grandfathers got is abuse.

Still -- I don't believe in schools today paddling my child because not many teachers I've known really have enough respect from me for them to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies