Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2014, 03:25 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times

Advertisements

White House Fence-Jumper Omar Gonzalez Held Without Bail - NBC News

Is there any place check points could not be justified for safety ?
They worked so well for the ME and seems to be a lifestyle to strive for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 03:30 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Will we have to remove our jackets, shoes, and belt before approaching His Majesty's Palace on Pennsylvania Avenue? Will thugs be hired to conduct colonoscopies in Lafayette Park? Will our daughters, young and younger, be fondled as they now are at our nation's airports by the perverted dweebs hired by TSA?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Pennsylvania Ave in front of the White House is closed to vehicular traffic, and pedestrians in front of the fence are subject to video and eyes-on-the-ground surveillance for suspicious activity. The government doesn't want to visibly militarize the White House but they can obviously do better, and this incident will prompt changes. I'd keep it visually the same but (my high tech dreams) have pop-up walls, nets, spikes, or electrified grass in case of intruders etc - not just guards running to intercept.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:40 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
The government is great at providing security at a macro level, when they want to.

They absolutely SUCK at providing security at a micro level.

Been through an airport recently? All that nonsense at the security check is exactly that - nonsense. We hear stories fairly regularly about people who accidentally brought their carry weapon through the checkpoint and only get caught when they ask someone what they should do (usually they get arrested for trying to do the right thing). I saw a story over the weekend that described how an airport employee at McCarran was using his pre-approved clearance to sneak large quantities of cocaine into "secure" parts of the airport, at which point he'd hand it off to a passenger that had already cleared "security" and was headed somewhere else, usually Anchorage. That bag of cocaine could just as easily have been guns, bombs, etc.

I feel so safe.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,963 times
Put some Rottweilers and pit bulls out there. If you can sneak pass them, you get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies