Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,693,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Your proposal of 4, 10 hour days was what I was replying to - and, it won't work in LV

As for LV so called Public Transit system - I can tell you, from first hand experience, it is a joke - it is worse than a joke.

AND, let's add to the mix, standing at a bus stop, in August, with the temp at 115 degrees, and the wind blowing at 40mph, for 30 minutes or more is not something most people want to do -

The above is the LV transit system
LV is a 24/7 city that is unique in America and maybe even the world. I go there alot. However that would not prevent a clerk or a housekeeper at the Hard Rock from working 4 10 hour shifts. Not eveybody can do it for sure but our goal should be maybe 50% including government. As for the bus system in LV I like it. I have never rented a car there and am able to get around fine on the bus system and the mono rail. The only other cities I do not rent cars in are Chicago and DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 05:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
LV is a 24/7 city that is unique in America and maybe even the world. I go there alot. However that would not prevent a clerk or a housekeeper at the Hard Rock from working 4 10 hour shifts. Not eveybody can do it for sure but our goal should be maybe 50% including government. As for the bus system in LV I like it. I have never rented a car there and am able to get around fine on the bus system and the mono rail. The only other cities I do not rent cars in are Chicago and DC.
KevK - with all respect - you, as a tourist, stay on or near the strip. Please believe me - living in Las Vegas (I do), traveling in Las Vegas - and not the strip) (I do) - you do not rely on the transit system - I gave you one GLARING, and real, example as to why -

And many workers already are on 4/10 shifts - the problem is, LV never sleeps - NEVER - there are three rush hours a day - 60% of the LV Valley employment dumps to an area that is 2 miles wide and 9 miles long - 7 days a week - 365 days a year - no holidays off - Rush hours on Christmas day and so on -

As for the Monorail - it is a dismal failure. It was not built for locals - it was built for tourists. It is financially bankrupt and mechanically broke -

As for the government cutting down hours - ummm - let's see: The Gaming commission people work 24/7, the marriage license clerks work 24/7, the police and fire - well you know. The mayor does take off once in a while though -

Old 01-05-2008, 09:38 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,850,649 times
I've paid close to $4 a gallon already so it won't be a shock to me. It's high but still reasonably priced in global terms. As they say, $4 in bottled water would cost the same or more. A gallon of milk is close to $4. Some people will have to start making lifestyle changes.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,262,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I've paid close to $4 a gallon already so it won't be a shock to me. It's high but still reasonably priced in global terms. As they say, $4 in bottled water would cost the same or more. A gallon of milk is close to $4. Some people will have to start making lifestyle changes.
Speaking of which, what's O negative going for these days?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:47 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,070,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Then, in as much as you are a NIMBY type of person, YOU are part of the problem - YOU are one of the reasons the US is dependent on Foreign oil -

Think about it
The reason the U.S. is dependent on foreign oil is primarily three fold.

1: Th government isn't imposing high enough standards on auto makers to be more efficient. Yes they can do it, but they choose not to and say the market will cause changes. Last I checked though, a model T was more efficient than most SUVs on the market, and they had fewer blind spots.

2: Plastic recycling is not as widespread as it needs to be remember, oil is needed to produce all of those plastic bottles you drink from and throw away, and those plastic bags and every other thing made of plastic, what if all of that could be recycled?

3. Home heating and cooling. Put better insulation in houses and better sealing windows, use blankets and fewer rooms of the house.

Other issues can factor in (lack of renewables, public transit, etc.) but I think the three listed above are the ones that cause the most oil consumption.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:14 AM

4,510 posts, read 6,751,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
The reason the U.S. is dependent on foreign oil is primarily three fold.

1: Th government isn't imposing high enough standards on auto makers to be more efficient. Yes they can do it, but they choose not to and say the market will cause changes. Last I checked though, a model T was more efficient than most SUVs on the market, and they had fewer blind spots.

2: Plastic recycling is not as widespread as it needs to be remember, oil is needed to produce all of those plastic bottles you drink from and throw away, and those plastic bags and every other thing made of plastic, what if all of that could be recycled?

3. Home heating and cooling. Put better insulation in houses and better sealing windows, use blankets and fewer rooms of the house.

Other issues can factor in (lack of renewables, public transit, etc.) but I think the three listed above are the ones that cause the most oil consumption.
You're right. Point number 3 is a huge opportunity. I built my own house and used a 2x6 wall instead of 2x4. This allowed r19 instead of r11. I made sure to chalk where needed and ensure that everything was vented properly. My house is nearly 2500 square feet and we have averaged about 650 gallons of oil from Oct to May including hot water heating over 10 year period. Two years ago I put in some LCD thermostats and started using draft guards on the bottom of doors. I also purchased insulated shades. These inexpensive changes have shaved about 100 gallons a season off my usage and we are now using about 550 gallons.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:35 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,070,988 times
True and thats all fine and good, but there needs to be more incentives to build green and higher quality like you did. Developers who don't should get taxed at a higher rate. People who buy old houses can get tax credits for fixing them up equal to cost in materials.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
True and thats all fine and good, but there needs to be more incentives to build green and higher quality like you did. Developers who don't should get taxed at a higher rate. People who buy old houses can get tax credits for fixing them up equal to cost in materials.
I am appalled at the quality of homes that were built over the last couple of years. In Connecticut in some of the expensive communities like Avon and Farmington they built large homes in planned communities. The prices are over $500k. A new development being built now in Farmington is building 3000 sqft homes with 2x4 construction and the prices are over $800,000. The quality is poor. They are only using r11 in the exterior walls. They are only using r30 on a cathedral ceiling when you can easily boost it to r 38 with some inexpensive foam board. The cost of using a 2x6 vs 2x4 especially on a house that is priced at $800k is minimal. A well designed home could reduce the material costs.

If I was building today I could use high-performance insulation in a 2x6 wall and get r21 or r23. The 2x4 high performance offers r13 or r15. There are many other alternatives including "green" options.

The sad thing is that most people don't even look at these quality issues. They just look at the neighborhood and what it looks like when they take the tour. A nice paint job and shiny floors go a long way!

Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM

The news is wild on the $4 gas by Memorial Day stories. Now experts are predicting $110 or $120 per barrel oil by summer. The speculators will drive it up to $5 because the story is being pushed on the people greasing the skids to expect higher prices.

I'd like to actually hear some substance from our presidential hopefuls on how they are going to solve these problems instead of one-liners by Hill and Barack. McCain is in a coast position now and needs to be pressed on the issues since he has no one else to compete against in his own party anymore.

Cut federal spending, initiate a modified flat tax to cover important federal responsibilities such as defending our homeland and give our elected officials a tutorial on the 10th amendment.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM

711 posts, read 930,669 times
Smile Death & Taxes

Can you imagine the increase in tax revenue the Gov't. has collected with these escalated rates per gallon?

Well, new taxes rhetoric is high on politicians lips especially the party that has made hay with this issue. Remember "read my lips" and the rantings of Reagan concerning taxes, states rights and big government. G.Wrong Bushs tax cuts. Sounds marvelous, gets votes, but the services Americans demand (most don't want third world standards) cost money. The nutniks know this, but they think THEY should escape the obligation while they enjoy, as OTHERS pay.

The nation has to pay for the neocons war--the rambos ideals without too, too much borrowing from the great red dragon. If the politicians can't get you up front, and still get into and stay in office, they will get you from behind--because they MUST!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies