Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
once proven it ceases to be theory, am I right? As for mid east oil, its a matter of when, not if. With the big push for renewable energy and mass transit in America, I think the situation is a bit more serious than the average person perceives it to be.
I agree with you, but there's alot of debate going on that it's just a theory still regardless of the American data.

The big push for renewable energy though is being squashed by the Corporates. Solar is very expensive and most utilities won't give rebates or participate in net metering (where you sell your surplus back to them and get paid). There needs to be more $$$ spent in R&D for this and get prices down so we can afford to outfit our homes and buy cars that don't deplete our resources at record numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 03:39 PM

418 posts, read 562,441 times
Look at it this way. Use less gas... WALK more.

If people exercised a bit, there wouldn't be so many (morbid)obese people in this country.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,138,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
Look at it this way. Use less gas... WALK more.

If people exercised a bit, there wouldn't be so many (morbid)obese people in this country.
Keep in mind that, in some areas of the country, driving is essential - that the distances are too far to "walk"

Old 03-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Keep in mind that, in some areas of the country, driving is essential - that the distances are too far to "walk"
I agree, but some PEOPLE i know here take a car for even a 100m. They are just too lazy... why not walk? I understand driving for long distances, but
for a few meters?

Another thing that doesn't help is almost complete lack of public transport in US.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,394,613 times
Quote:
I agree, but some PEOPLE i know here take a car for even a 100m. They are just too lazy... why not walk? I understand driving for long distances, but
for a few meters?

Another thing that doesn't help is almost complete lack of public transport in US.
People in the US make excuses for everything because they are lazy. It's too far or too hot or too cold or too wet or too scary or...you get the point.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
People in the US make excuses for everything because they are lazy. It's too far or too hot or too cold or too wet or too scary or...you get the point.
Yes, i know... I don't quite understand it. Where i came from, i had nice public transport, and always thought walk was good.

So, i often walked around when i had to do something.

I was also shocked by eating habits of Americans when i came here... some kids eat SO much, sit ALL day long watching TV, playing computer etc.

No wonder then, that i saw the fattest people ever in my life in US... and the clothes sizes , boy, XXXXXXXLLL

Old 03-08-2008, 04:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,138,527 times
Quote:
for a few meters?

The sheer size of the United States prevents having adequate mass transportation - the exception being of course in the major Metropolitan areas such as New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Chicago etc.

There are a tremendous number of very small, or relatively small communities where mass transportation does not make fiscal sense. There are areas of this wonderful country where it may be 30/50 or more miles between towns.

In other larger areas, where mass transit systems have been proposed, often times the citizens vote them down as unnecessary.

I do agree though that more attention needs to be paid to mass transit enhancements in some areas. For instance, in the Phoenix, AZ Metro area, a light rail system is under construction (nearing completion) and there are enhancements being made to the other mass transit already in place.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:38 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,309,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I agree with you, but there's alot of debate going on that it's just a theory still regardless of the American data.

The big push for renewable energy though is being squashed by the Corporates. Solar is very expensive and most utilities won't give rebates or participate in net metering (where you sell your surplus back to them and get paid). There needs to be more $$$ spent in R&D for this and get prices down so we can afford to outfit our homes and buy cars that don't deplete our resources at record numbers.
great post man! Hey did you hear that silicon valley companies are now working on solar panels. They said the small sections of the panels are similar to computer chips so that will help them to make a more efficient solar panel.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,120,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
great post man! Hey did you hear that silicon valley companies are now working on solar panels. They said the small sections of the panels are similar to computer chips so that will help them to make a more efficient solar panel.
Yep, and the technology is available today. Many homes in Sacramento are being built with solar electricity built into the house:

SN&R > Local Stories > Solar Sacramento > 04.20.06

Lennar SOLARplus

SunPower - Smarter Solar » For Homes » Homebuilders » New Home Communities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies