Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2014, 01:32 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,511,606 times

Advertisements

Since "thug" is the new overly-used-term-that-has-become-meaningless, let's not forget that businessmen are just as thuggish as their unionized workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:03 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,955,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Since "thug" is the new overly-used-term-that-has-become-meaningless, let's not forget that businessmen are just as thuggish as their unionized workforce.
Provide us with examples of businessmen using pipes and fists to beat their employees to make them do what they want.

Or retract your completely false statement.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 AM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
So you declared a word meaningless and then used it thus invalidating your claim that businessmen are really thuggish at all.

I can only pray that you are being intentionally clever and not the alternative explanation.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,454,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
...or people could follow your example and refuse...

Old 09-23-2014, 01:34 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,511,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So you declared a word meaningless and then used it thus invalidating your claim that businessmen are really thuggish at all.

I can only pray that you are being intentionally clever and not the alternative explanation.
Well yes, I wouldn't call it clever, but my post was most certainly intentional.

thug (thg)
n.
1. A cutthroat or ruffian; a hoodlum.

As I see it, business is about as cutthroat as you can get.

But that's only part of my point. It seems that certain people are quick to label a black, unarmed mob as a group of thugs, but these same people see a mob of armed whites as patriots. It's nonsense, pure and simple.

The word has a specific - though pliable - meaning. Claiming that union membership makes one a thug is ridiculous. In the same manner, it appears certain people are quick to label black males as thugs, but not their white equivalents.

I see it as group think. Someone mentions "thug" and people jump on the bandwagon. In doing so, the word becomes synonymous with "someone I don't like/disagree with." That's where it has lost its meaning.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Provide us with examples of businessmen using pipes and fists to beat their employees to make them do what they want.

LOL. The funny thing is...it would not be hard to do. To be fair its modern day China, and India, or some of our history.

Or even modern one....and the term thug seems oddly appropriate:

Mayweather Ordered Kidnapping, Beating Of Employees? | News One

Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,658,570 times
If the post was meant to be a rebuttal of the usual charge of union thuggery as opposed to the notion of a neutral or friendly business stance I'd have to say I agree. But on it's face thuggery isn't all that prevalent or conducive to most of what's left of union/management relations. I used to hear the brainless talk of how unions were such terrorists when compared to the great and noble business owner, of course the unions were usually made up of our neighbors and friends whereas the management was more than happy to hire criminal thugs to deal with the normally mild tempered but determined union guys when strikes were called.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:45 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,054,854 times
Holy smokes! I had to ignore this one on username alone"Reaganlover82".

Monsanto is the stereotypical corporate "thug"..hundreds(if not thousands) of claims against them...of course the Roy Blunts of the political world will back them 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies