Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:58 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Obama has dumped billions into renewables.

And for what gain?

The companies closed their doors.

So those who are for shoveling money into renewables don't understand how some can financially benefit. Solyndra anyone?
I have a tip for you...Your easily disproven lies do not work....All they do is cause people to disbelieve everything you type....

Almost 50% of the new utility-scale power generation capacity added during the first half of 2014 uses renewable energy sources. Solar-powered capacity grew about 1,150 megawatts (MW) during the first six months of 2014 compared with 690 MW added during the same period last year. The electricity industry has added 675 MW of wind capacity this year, which is more than double the amount added during the first half of 2013. Short-Term Energy Outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

http://www.ceres.org/resources/repor...newable-energy

I'm investing in some of these... 25 Companies to Watch in Energy Tech: The Best Clean-Energy Startups - BusinessWeek

Old 09-23-2014, 02:59 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,550,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In that case, I no longer have a brush broad enough to paint the Republican Representatives ignorant about science!
It's not a broad brush when it's true.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
At minute 3:00 on this tape, there is video coverage of a the US House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology. During this committee meeting, the Republican Representative's questions clearly expose their ignorance of science and common sense.

Burn Noticed - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Yeah--I caught this last night. It's really a great piece and encapsulates the idiocy of some in congress as well as their ignorance of science. Also--extremely funny.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:00 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Ignorance? I thought the questions showed a startlingly high amount of scientific knowledge. I loved the part where the so-called "scientist" was grilled on why a potentially major climate-affecting variable was excluded from their "models."
Good grief....We are surrounded by morons.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:03 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief....We are surrounded by morons.
Hard to have a meanigful debate under these circumstances!

Old 09-23-2014, 03:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As does getting your political insight from a comedy show.

Git-r-done may be funny, but it's hardly earth shattering political revelation.
Huh? I think it is exceptionally enlightening regarding certain congressional dummies and their politically motivated ignorance of science. This should be used as an ad by their campaign opponents. These guys are a waste of taxpayer money and definitely should not be allowed anywhere near a science committee.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:06 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,538 times
Quote:
Those Republicans are on the Science, Space, and Technology committee! Wouldn't the GOP put their best qualified Representatives on this committee??

They did. Sad, isn't it?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Huh? I think it is exceptionally enlightening regarding certain congressional dummies and their politically motivated ignorance of science. This should be used as an ad by their campaign opponents. These guys are a waste of taxpayer money and definitely should not be allowed anywhere near a science committee.
These Republican Representatives demonstrated, through their line of questioning, that they don't know how much they don't know!

Old 09-23-2014, 03:11 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Obama has dumped billions into renewables.

And for what gain?

The companies closed their doors.

So those who are for shoveling money into renewables don't understand how some can financially benefit. Solyndra anyone?
So how is Enron doing?

From jojajn's post:

Old 09-23-2014, 03:12 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Non of those questions asked by the Republican Representatives demonstrated critical thinking or even a basic understanding of science of the scientific method. How can these Representatives appropriately test, challenge, or raise a scientific objection when they don't even understand how the ocean rises?
But the rise in sea level itself is in dispute.

Reference
Wahl, T., Haigh, I.D., Woodworth, P.L., Albrecht, F., Dillingh, D., Jensen, J., Nicholls, R.J., Weisse, R. and Woppelmann, G. 2013. Observed mean sea level changes around the North Sea coastline from 1800 to present. Earth-Science Reviews 124: 51-67.
Quote:
In light of the findings of the international team of scientists participating in this significant study, it would appear that there is nothing unusual, unnatural or unprecedented about the rate of sea level rise throughout both the North Sea and the rest of the Global Ocean over the entire CO[SIZE=1]2[/SIZE]-emitting course of the Industrial Revolution.
Quote:
Your entire post is a dissertation as to why lawmakers, who are ignorant of science, should remove themselves from making scientific related decisions.
My post(s) are concerned with the fact that NO SCIENCE IS SETTLED, especially not the cult of MMGW. You say sea level rise like it's axiomatic, undisputed and definitely caused by fossil fuel burning since 1900. But that is simply unproven, thus not scientific fact. I linked the reference to one study, but all of the claims of MMGW are either in dispute or debunked already.

I am not arguing that politicians look silly even saying the word science, but I am arguing that the stupid applies to Democrats as well for their childish belief in the MMGW fairy tale as told thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.