Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 12:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It's basic psychology- the more big government tells people not to do something the more likely they are to do it (see: prohibition).
Yeah, that must be why the number of smokers has substantially declined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,394,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Get a clue, it's not liberals who continually make lame attempts at societal engineering such as whining about who's sleeping with whom.
Actually nobody is attempting to social-engineer who sleeps with whom. I haven't seen any conservatives proposing to bring back anti-sodomy laws or anti-miscegenation laws.

I do see plenty of liberals trying to restrict everything from tobacco to sodium to large sugary drinks.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are black market cigarettes ?
I think a pack can run north of $14 in NYC. In contrast, a bag of heron is $10.

Ky. used to be the cheapest and maybe still is.

People sell cartons out of the back of U- Haul Vans.

Then there are the Indian reservations and duty free shopping opportunities.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,394,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yeah, that must be why the number of smokers has substantially declined.
There actually has been some evidence that teen smoking has increased at times due to a 'forbidden fruit' effect. As someone who once worked at a convenience store, I can tell you that pretty much every smoker over the age of 25 would love to quit, but it is tough.

The whole anti-smoking movement is a racket. Just look at how they reacted to the e-cig phenomenon. Or for example consider the issue of single-cig sales. Where I worked, we used to sell single cigs, and they were virtually always purchased by people who were trying to quit, and didn't want to buy a whole pack. Yet the anti-smoking bunch has always tried to ban the sale of singles.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I think a pack can run north of $14 in NYC. In contrast, a bag of heron is $10.

Ky. used to be the cheapest and maybe still is.

People sell cartons out of the back of U- Haul Vans.

Then there are the Indian reservations and duty free shopping opportunities.
NYC - $14.50
VA - $5.25

Most of the NYC neighborhoods have "a guy" that that goes and picks up cartons for people.
My aunt pays $70 for a carton from her "guy" that drives down to VA. If she bought in the city it would be $145.00.
And you have to be referred to "the guy" as well. Black market cigarettes is run just like the numbers game in NYC.
And the numbers game is still alive and well and thriving in NYC. My aunt still does it because my grandfather got "referred" and played it weekly. When he got too old my aunt bought his numbers for him and got herself an "in" with them.

The Cost of a Pack of Cigarettes, State By State

Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,679,381 times
LOL. Liberals' war on smokers? How about f**king lung cancer's war on smokers? Emphysema? Other vascular disorders? High blood pressure? Smokers bloody wage war on themselves.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,679,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
NYC - $14.50
VA - $5.25

Most of the NYC neighborhoods have "a guy" that that goes and picks up cartons for people.
My aunt pays $70 for a carton from her "guy" that drives down to VA. If she bought in the city it would be $145.00

The Cost of a Pack of Cigarettes, State By State
Good thing that your aunt saving money on cigarettes! She'll need that money later. Chemotherapy ain't cheap.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,417,921 times
I love the nanny-statism in New York for smokers. I have asthma. There's no way I'd be able to bike to work as a smoker. Smoking is very frowned upon in this state.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Good thing for your aunt that she's saving money on cigarettes. She'll need that money later. Chemotherapy ain't cheap.
Not everyone that smokes gets cancer. She's past 80 and has smoked all her life.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,933,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I don't. Enforcement is an issue. There is no reason to take the chance, especially if children are in the building.
I said "E cigs" are Ok inside IMHO, NOT regular old school smokes, they def NEED to be outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies