Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 01:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's been consistent throughout this entire thread.
Boys will be boys, you know.
Nope.... Those are your words, not mine. Men who sleep around should be looked down upon just as much as women. The only difference is that men are more genetically pre-disposed to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 01:44 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, that was me. My son told me he was sexually active at 16, so naturally, I equipped him with the tools, knowledge and protection he needed. From 16 to 19, he got condoms in his Christmas "stalking", along with socks, deodorant and aftershave.
Had I had a daughter who was sexually active at 16, I would have take her to an OB-GYN and got her on the pill.
What else was I supposed to do? Lock him in the basement? Tell him to just say no to those evil, loose girls?
Tell him to eat Graham Crackers to dull his sexual appetites? Put saltpeter in his food?
I know I did the right thing.
No, you don't hand out protection for them for doing something wrong. It is encouraging them to continue to do it. You let them pay the consequences and accept responsibility for their actions. There are other ways for them to get birth control if they are so determined other than through their parents. That is what is most objectionable to me is for the parents to provide it to them. It sends the wrong message.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:49 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Nope.... Those are your words, not mine. Men who sleep around should be looked down upon just as much as women. The only difference is that men are more genetically pre-disposed to it.

utter BS

Old 10-01-2014, 01:51 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
You don't need to do a disclaimer. What your're doing is hypocritical & you know it. You judge women, predictable & sexist.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:53 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Just because something is fun is not always the sole factor that should be considered when determining whether to do it or not. I bet standing on the hood of a car going down the freeway would be "fun"...until it wasn't.
Yeah, it is. I'm an unmarried adult, I can have all the sex I want & will because I like it & it's fun. Thankfully, I'm not a bore in bed.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:57 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, you don't hand out protection for them for doing something wrong. It is encouraging them to continue to do it. You let them pay the consequences and accept responsibility for their actions. There are other ways for them to get birth control if they are so determined other than through their parents. That is what is most objectionable to me is for the parents to provide it to them. It sends the wrong message.

what consequences are there to pay if the kids don't get pregnant or get a sexually transmitted disease? there are none. they got away clean so to say. the kid is going to make their own choice no matter if he has BC or not, no matter what his parents say or not. making it hard for a kid to get birth control only makes it more inaccessible when the time comes that he needs BC they end up having unprotected sex anyway.

you would rather a kid that has sex have a baby as a result of sex to show them responsibility? or is it better to teach them safe sex as a responsible way? which makes more sense? kids having kids, being on the welfare dime, more abortions? oe education and BC ?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
I don't think it's wrong. It's normal and natural. But then, I'm not a Puritan.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what consequences are there to pay if the kids don't get pregnant or get a sexually transmitted disease? there are none. they got away clean so to say. the kid is going to make their own choice no matter if he has BC or not, no matter what his parents say or not. making it hard for a kid to get birth control only makes it more inaccessible when the time comes that he needs BC they end up having unprotected sex anyway.

you would rather a kid that has sex have a baby as a result of sex to show them responsibility? or is it better to teach them safe sex as a responsible way? which makes more sense? kids having kids, being on the welfare dime, more abortions? oe education and BC ?
Why yes! Make them take responsibility. Don't provide the tools. Force them to carry the pregnancy to term, and have them marry at gunpoint.
They'll have a lifetime of bliss.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Oldglory,

This is a very hard subject to navigate when it comes to kids. On one hand, we don't want them making irresponsible decisions, and we want to steer them in the right direction. On the other hand, we want them to be open about their lives with us and we want them to feel safe talking with us about things like sex. So, I do agree that the best way to keep them from making the wrong decision is to encourage them to make the right one in the first place. That would be my answer to weltschmerz's question "what was I supposed to do"..... However, I'm not so sure that saying 'telling me you're having sex is wrong and will lead to consequences" is the right message to send either. Then they might be having sex and you have no clue because they don't feel safe telling you about it.

It's a very fine line to tread no matter how you go about it, that's a given.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:05 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, it is. I'm an unmarried adult, I can have all the sex I want & will because I like it & it's fun. Thankfully, I'm not a bore in bed.

You're a grown up, and therefore, it is your choice as to how you live your life, so long as you don't cause harm to others in the process. I will say this though, because I was young once, and you sound like you're young. The occasional booty call is fun from time to time, but it is much better when you're in a meaningful relationship. And I can say with confidence thank GOD I'm in a stable marriage! Because at some point it gets old having half-a**ed relationships based on sex! Not to mention all of the drama and the games that go with it, along with the fact that sometimes emotions come in to play where one party might have more feeling than the other one, and cause all sorts of drama! Not judging you, just offering my perspective. Did I have fun back in my day being a free bird? Oh hell yeah! But, I wouldn't trade what I have now with a stable relationship! Not for anything in the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies