Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 04:21 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Where are you getting this info from? Or are you just making it up in an effort to sound clever?

Most conservatives I know, support ending the welfare state, and conservatives are the ones most likely to preach abstinence and waiting, etc. It's the libs and progs who support things like welfare entitlements, food stamps etc. and it's the libs that are encouraging this "liberated" attitude towards sex.

Seems to me you've got it backwards.
conservatives are the ones that have it backwards. pro life until the baby comes then the mom and baby are on their own. no sex ed, no birth control, no help. they made their bed now let them lay in it. serves em' right for having sex before marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
No, I'm not saying that, because that isn't the statement you made.

You said that it's funny those of us who don't want the school interfering and giving our kids condoms { conservatives } don't seem to mind when those same kids get welfare after they get pregnant. Well, they do mind, because conservatives are the most likely ones to support cutting welfare funding, in general.
No one is stopping conservatives from taking financial responsibility for their wayward teens and their offspring instead of dumping their care on the taxpayer.

"Yea, I told my kid to just say no to sex, they didn't listen, now they are the taxpayer's problem."

Conservatives have no problem with the government getting involved after the fact, do they?

Old 10-01-2014, 11:30 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,335 times
Might as well give them out, they're going to do it anyhow.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you are assume I think it is ok for kids to have sex
if their bodies have matured enough to make the act possible and that is not the
truth. I do not think 10 to 12 years old should be having sex.
Ok, so why is 12 too young in your opinion, if they've went through puberty?? At what age is it appropriate to start being sexually active in your opinion, and how do you arrive at that number?
Quote:
as I said before if they are having it at that age it is probably because they
were sexually abused and are acting out. something I mentioned before yet you
chose to ignore
No, I didn't ignore it. I presented a hypothetical scenario, and in that scenario, the two youths were not sexually abused. There is no hard and fast rule that says the only twelve year olds who'd experiment are those being sexually abused is there? Theoretically, two 12 year olds could be biologically mature enough for sexual activity, couldn't they?
Quote:
just what are the stats of 10 to 12 year olds having sex?
I don't know, and it's irrelevant to the question I am posing to you. Why is 12 too young, at what age is it appropriate, and what factors have lead you to this conclusion?

It's a fair question.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
There's that can-do attitude that has driven the advancement of humanity!

Old 10-02-2014, 07:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
you are assume I think it is ok for kids to have sex if their bodies have matured enough to make the act possible and that is not the truth. I do not think 10 to 12 years old should be having sex. as I said before if they are having it at that age it is probably because they were sexually abused and are acting out. something I mentioned before yet you chose to ignore. just what are the stats of 10 to 12 year olds having sex?
Here's one study that was done. Average age was 12 among children in poverty.

Low-income kids report first sexual intercourse at 12 years old in new ISU study - News Service - Iowa State University

It's not just the US though; this is also the average age in other countries around the world..first world countries.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:24 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Some people here just don't seem to get this...

It's almost pointless keep saying it.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Ok, so why is 12 too young in your opinion, if they've went through puberty?? At what age is it appropriate to start being sexually active in your opinion, and how do you arrive at that number?

No, I didn't ignore it. I presented a hypothetical scenario, and in that scenario, the two youths were not sexually abused. There is no hard and fast rule that says the only twelve year olds who'd experiment are those being sexually abused is there? Theoretically, two 12 year olds could be biologically mature enough for sexual activity, couldn't they?

I don't know, and it's irrelevant to the question I am posing to you. Why is 12 too young, at what age is it appropriate, and what factors have lead you to this conclusion?

It's a fair question.
you didn't really present your argument as hypothetical in your posts, now you side step it. your theory because a body "can" doesn't mean it should. if you want to use that as a landmark to begin sexual maturity then really the only sex that needs to be "mature" is the male.

at 10 to 12 the children are way too young emotionally and physically. even if they have "matured" is 16 too young, yes. would I like to see kids wait until they are 18 or more, yes. however that isn't the case. most kids start getting active around 15 and 17 is probably more the norm. I do not want any sexually active young person no matter how young to get sexually transmitted disease, nor do I want to see more teen pregnancies. so for the sexually active we need wide spread availability to BC and education for all.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
you didn't really present your argument as hypothetical in your posts, now you side step it. your theory because a body "can" doesn't mean it should. if you want to use that as a landmark to begin sexual maturity then really the only sex that needs to be "mature" is the male.

at 10 to 12 the children are way too young emotionally and physically. even if they have "matured" is 16 too young, yes. would I like to see kids wait until they are 18 or more, yes. however that isn't the case. most kids start getting active around 15 and 17 is probably more the norm. I do not want any sexually active young person no matter how young to get sexually transmitted disease, nor do I want to see more teen pregnancies. so for the sexually active we need wide spread availability to BC and education for all.
Oh, good. We're basically saying the same things then, so why are we arguing?

I've admitted that BC should be a part of any serious and meaningful conversation about sex with young people.

It would seem that we agree that we should encourage youth to wait before being sexually active. I believe that falls in lock step with sending that message as a society, and the over-sexualization of everything, including our entertainment, isn't sending the right message to young people.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Some people here just don't seem to get this...

It's almost pointless keep saying it.
You're right, having such a defeatist attitude is pointless.....

Using that logic, we shouldn't try to prevent crime either, because criminals are just going to do it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies