Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 05:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Are there people who actually believe no condom=no sex for teenagers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:48 PM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A constructive debate on how to prevent teenage pregnancy and the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, derailed by an anti-choice extremist...........again!

Do you have anything constructive to bring to the table...?
It's completely unfair to equate pro-lifers to desiring teenage pregnancy or the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. They are two entirely different issues.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's completely unfair to equate pro-lifers to desiring teenage pregnancy or the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. They are two entirely different issues.
Oh, I guess I missed this poster's post concerning condoms on this thread. Maybe you can point me to it.

BTW, I did not equate pro-lifers to desiring teenage pregnancy or the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, you did.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus3 View Post
Condoms should be provided free of charge to the less fortunate that way we can stop the cycle of poverty since poor people are more likely to give birth to multiple children they can't afford to feed without government aid. I do not understand why this is so hard to implement.
Seems that for some, giving out condoms is the same as giving discount coupons for a "murder" at a planned parenthood clinic.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:19 PM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Oh, I guess I missed this poster's post concerning condoms on this thread. Maybe you can point me to it.

BTW, I did not equate pro-lifers to desiring teenage pregnancy or the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, you did.

No, I didn't you did and I replied to it.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't you did and I replied to it.
Read my posts again............real slow! Sound out the words if you need to.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is something to consider.

1) The unmarried shouldn't be having sex at all. If you aren't married, wait until you're married.
2) Even if you gave out the condoms, you can't guarantee said persons will use them.

1) great if there was some way to enforce this. But you can't.

2) nope.. No guarantee so.... Don't don't even try?

Unfortunately we don't live in a utopia where unwanted pregnancy, std's and abortion don't happen and
Unmarried don't engage in sexual activities.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:54 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
What does it say about a parent who would hand their young kids a license to have sex? Because essentially that is what it is by supplying them with birth control methods. It's like "have fun but don't get caught and pay the consequences". I stand by what I said. If you don't agree then so be it. We shouldn't be making it easier for our kids to have sex and essentially condoning it, IMO. Prejudice has nothing to do with it. It's about teaching kids right from wrong and making them take responsibility for their actions. Protecting them from taking responsibility by removing the consequences of their actions is what you are actually promoting. What kind of lesson in life is that?
Glad you asked. It says that these parents are aware of today's sexual climate and the consequences of unprotected sex. It says that these parents are teaching " responsibility" by educating their kids on the use of B/C and being proactive. It's saying that these parents understand that kids don't always make the best decisions and they ( the parents) can't always be around to monitor their behavior... Better safe than sorry.
Seems like you're saying.. If they get pregnant .. Oh well that's on you! We warned you! Now live with it.
We can't stop kids from having sex, but we can help to minimize the risks. We don't need to teach harsh lessons when there are other avenues available. They aren't promoting sex, they're trying to protect against something that is very real and that they have no control over unless they're present 100% of the time.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Yes.. Welcome to it! Obviously your suggestion would be great, but in the absence of this actually working should we not try and protect our kids the best way possible instead of letting our own personal opinions get in our way?
I don't think you should be having sex so I don't want to encourage you by supplying preventative measures?
If you can't play by my rules.. I am taking my ball and going home!
Actually it would be more " realistic " if we realize that times have changed and we need to do what ever we can to protect our kids, regardless of our own personal prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Glad you asked. It says that these parents are aware of today's sexual climate and the consequences of unprotected sex. It says that these parents are teaching " responsibility" by educating their kids on the use of B/C and being proactive. It's saying that these parents understand that kids don't always make the best decisions and they ( the parents) can't always be around to monitor their behavior... Better safe than sorry.
Seems like you're saying.. If they get pregnant .. Oh well that's on you! We warned you! Now live with it.
We can't stop kids from having sex, but we can help to minimize the risks. We don't need to teach harsh lessons when there are other avenues available. They aren't promoting sex, they're trying to protect against something that is very real and that they have no control over unless they're present 100% of the time.
Parents didn't need to be there 100% of the time back when parents were actually parents, and put the fear of gawd in to their offspring. My parents didn't need to monitor us 100% of the time to make sure we kids followed the rules, because we knew if we didn't, there'd be hell to pay when we got home.....

Now, parents are too concerned with being "kewl" rather than being disciplinarians and showing their kids the right path in the world.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Teens already have sex. The only thing they need is a place and that isn't all that difficult, but it's definitely the most difficult part. Making condoms more difficult to access just reduces the odds that a condom will be used, not the frequency at which teens have sex.
No one is making the case that condoms and other preventative measures shouldn't be available, but as I've said numerous times already, there's a big difference between handing little Johnny a condom and saying "have at it" ..... compared to teaching him about the seriousness of sex and making him aware of preventative measures at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies