Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,067,254 times

Advertisements

Most people agree on things at a moral level. Abortion is bad, horrible criminals should be put to death, guns should be controled, for example. Guys like Saddam Hussein are bad to their people, is that enough to invade their countries if they're not a threat?
What personal morals should be laws and what should legally optional for individuals to decide?
What foreign policies should reflect our morals?

And why can we not get Cuban cigars or anything else from there while everything we buy comes from China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,380,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Most people agree on things at a moral level. Abortion is bad, horrible criminals should be put to death, guns should be controled, for example.
Apparently, you don't know that many people? Each of these things, rather than being points of general agreement, are the subjects of bitter debates...

Old 12-28-2007, 10:04 AM

68,279 posts, read 54,035,967 times
Quote:
Most people agree on things at a moral level. Abortion is bad, horrible criminals should be put to death, guns should be controled, for example. Guys like Saddam Hussein are bad to their people, is that enough to invade their countries if they're not a threat?
What personal morals should be laws and what should legally optional for individuals to decide?
I don't believe it's fact that most people agree that abortion is bad, guns should be controlled, or that capital punishment should exist so answers may not fit the premise.

Quote:
And why can we not get Cuban cigars or anything else from there while everything we buy comes from China?
Because of political contributions from corporations that enjoy profits on goods made in China, consumers who enjoy low cost products made in China who also vote, and a large Cuban-American voting bloc?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:10 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,753,027 times
Moral and ethics should NEVER be a government issue. It is SOCIETY'S issue and having a government mandate what is proper and not, is NOT appropriate because for the fact that moral and ethics ARE very much debatable. What you think is right, is not what someone else thinks is right. Its something for society at the local level to decide, not wide-sweeping federal government intervention at YOUR expense.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,734,983 times
You CANNOT legislate morality. No matter how hard you try, you'll always fail!

The job of the Federal Government is to protect the people of the United States. Foreign policy should reflect that and only that. We do not need to be in the business of telling anyone else how they should live their life. That includes our own people for that matter!

Old 12-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Apparently, you don't know that many people? Each of these things, rather than being points of general agreement, are the subjects of bitter debates...
I know a lot of people. No one I know likes abortion or think it should be a form of birth control, nor do I, but I think it should be legal. I want evil criminals killed, but I don't think our death penalty is efficient with the cost of the appeals process and the slightest margin of error means an innocent person can be killed. And I have a concealed weapon permit and enjoy owning guns, but I don't think every person in New York City should be able to pack heat.
The bitter debate is not always over right and wrong, but over legalities and governance. You probably think your opinion should be law, I'd guess.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I know a few people, and I find that most people, like me, think that abortion is bad and should not be a form of birth control, evil criminals should be killed, and every nut in the country and anyone in New York City should be denied a gun.
But I think abortion should be legal, even if I disapprove. I think the death penalty is inefficient with the cost of appeals, and the margin of error means an innocent person could put to death, and one is too many. And I own guns and have a concealed weapons permit.
I'm asking where can we differentiate right/wrong from legal/illegal. It's a question of legality and governance versus choice and freedom. Where should the line be drawn?
I'm guessing you're one who thinks every opinion you have should enforced as law.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,732,857 times
Quote:

Laws should not be made based on morals. Why? Because everyone has a different set of morals, so whose do we choose? Rather, I think laws should be based upon common sense and possibly some accepted social mores (which are not the same as morals!). I know that I certainly don't want to be ruled by someone else's morals.

Oh, and the examples you give of abortion, capital punishment, gun control, etc...those are far from things that "most people agree on". Far from it, those are hot-button topics that everybody does NOT agree on!

No, I do not want to be governed by someone else's personal moral standards, thank you very much!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:52 PM

626 posts, read 990,450 times
Quote:
Most people agree on things at a moral level. Abortion is bad, horrible criminals should be put to death, guns should be controled, for example.
Hahaha, do you honestly believe this is the case? Abortion, in particular, is one issue where you can always find a bitter debate with no one giving an inch. I think the exact opposite of what you state is true.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:12 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,317,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
You CANNOT legislate morality. No matter how hard you try, you'll always fail!

The job of the Federal Government is to protect the people of the United States. Foreign policy should reflect that and only that. We do not need to be in the business of telling anyone else how they should live their life. That includes our own people for that matter!

I know what you are saying and agree though I would say the role of government in America is not to protect us but rather to uphold the Consitution so we the people can protect ourselves.

The only way the federal government has a role in protecting us is to maintain a effective military though the use of it must be used with responsibility...which lately since 1992 to the present it has not been,other than Afghanistan.

And the beauty of the Constitution is that it limits either people from the left or right from implementing their "morality" on others,though sometimes there are cracks in the system it seems.But,if a bad law is passed,there are ways to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies