Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
For the most part they did not exist before the statist of the early 20th century came to power.

For the most part, no their is not, Because we understand that education is just that education, not indoctrination.
"for the most part" is saying they did exist before hand.

I disagree with the bold, but whether or not you believed it happened on both sides doesnt really matter to my response.

Either way, i would have said the following, which is that teachers should simply teach to a standard that we can all agree on rather than ideology.

But yes, it does happen both ways and more often than those on the right seem to want to believe, i guess it is because you see your beliefs as "right", and there for what should be taught.

Quote:
And the market can do a better job to deliver a better product, at a higher quality at a reduced price.
ok convince me of that.

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
All students are not taught to the lowest common denominator. Those who ride the short bus go to special classes just for them. Charter schools would refuse to teach to them at all.
The majority are functional illiterates.

Many the time I climb into a lead locomotive of a train and I look at the engine logbook detailing the life and trends of the diesel and electric traction motors. A lot of time I can't decipher what was written because of bad writing.

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times
But it is the people's money (funded through taxation) Why would anyone not favor letting these people use that money on a school that they choose? The only reason is to keep the pseudo monopoly of the horrible union schools free from competition. And anyone that is against that competition are basically admitting that the current system blows.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
But it is the people's money (funded through taxation) Why would anyone not favor letting these people use that money on a school that they choose? The only reason is to keep the pseudo monopoly of the horrible union schools free from competition. And anyone that is against that competition are basically admitting that the current system blows.
there is far more than one reason, so lets not play a game of rhetoric.

You ever think people are against your idea because they think it wouldnt work ?

Old 09-27-2014, 03:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,965,568 times
Quote:
To be competitive in a global economy, there needs to be standardized educational goals and accreditation.
This is 100% false. That's like saying to be globally competitive, we need only one giant entity for each industry. I'm sorry, if education is shackled with one single mediocre set of goals, then we're all doomed. Forget it, we need constant innovation and NO centralized influence AT ALL.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I would never put that responsibility in the hands of various special interest groups who teach to their narrow agenda
That is specifically what "Common Core" is.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How exactly do public schools indoctrinate students ?
By turning education into political indoctrination.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:52 PM

433 posts, read 290,672 times
Quote:
Because the ruling class does not want a well educated, informed, independent, and well armed citizenry.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Some of us don't want to pay taxes to support a religion, or a philosophy of exclusion, which some private schools have.

As far as "horrible union schools" when was the last time you darkened the door of one? I don't like the idea of using kids for cutthroat competition. Anyone who has studied educational issues can tell you there is a straight-line relationship between SES and school achievement.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM

433 posts, read 290,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
there is far more than one reason, so lets not play a game of rhetoric.

You ever think people are against your idea because they think it wouldnt work ?
You ever think maybe the unions and special interest groups are against this proven idea because it will work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.