Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You're thinking Old Testament (Jewish). Not New Testament, Christian.
And Islam didn't exist 2000 years ago.
The Old Testament and the New Testament are studied by Christians. And Christians very much followed the Old Testament at the time of Christianity's inception.

Much of the Q'ran is based on the Old Testament.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The Old Testament and the New Testament are studied by Christians. And Christians very much followed the Old Testament at the time of Christianity's inception.

Much of the Q'ran is based on the Old Testament.
Changes nothing I said.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
All of the monsters that condone this law will never gain my respect until they stop. I consider them more pest than people and believe they should be treated as such whenever they damage or threaten the civilized society.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Changes nothing I said.
It actually does.

Your statement was to distinguish Christianity from punishments and practices outlined in the Old Testament. My point was that Christianity, and especially Fundamentalist versions of Christianity, do believe in and follow the Old Testament.

Your further remark, that Islam came along much later than the Old Testament, is pointless, given that much of Islam is based on the Old Testament.

All three, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, are ALL based on the teachings and God of Abraham.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It actually does.

Your statement was to distinguish Christianity from punishments and practices outlined in the Old Testament. My point was that Christianity, and especially Fundamentalist versions of Christianity, do believe in and follow the Old Testament.

Your further remark, that Islam came along much later than the Old Testament, is pointless, given that much of Islam is based on the Old Testament.

All three, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, are ALL based on the teachings and God of Abraham.
No, it doesn't.

Christianity was a new practice 2000 years ago and many were killed for it. They weren't following Jewish law.

Islam may have some background from the OT but have their own completely different holy book.

You are trying very hard to reach.

Below is what I originally responded to, which was a largely incorrect assumption.
If you really want to keep arguing the topic further, perhaps you should visit the religion forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Difference between the West and there now; they "literally" practice what their book says, which was probably exactly how it was done w/ Christianity & Islam 2000 years ago.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't.

Christianity was a new practice 2000 years ago and many were killed for it. They weren't following Jewish law.

Islam may have some background from the OT but have their own completely different holy book.

You are trying very hard to reach.
Much of the Q'ran is lifted straight from the Old Testament. That was one of the reasons for the tension between Jews and Mohammed. Mohammed "borrowed" heavily from the Old Testament, when the Jewish tribes living in and near Mecca pointed it out, Mohammed was enraged. He was the Prophet, and these practices, stories, and scripture came directly to him from God. The Jews felt obligated to point out that God had given directly to them these same practices, stories and scripture. And Mohammed felt that the Jews were challenging him and his interpretation of God's word, and became set on destroying the Jewish tribes. He was largely successful in this.

Christianity is based on the worship of Jesus Christ, who was a Jew. Jesus Christ didn't repudiate Judaism, he simply preached a softer, more loving version of Judaism.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
You're thinking Old Testament (Jewish). Not New Testament, Christian.
And Islam didn't exist 2000 years ago.
Nope - your wrong.
The place of the Old Testament was defined very early in Christian centuries
Who cares when it began(Islam) but it was around 610 AD. Your missing my point.
Both these religions have prophets, angels, God, the same stuff. The same "throwing
stones". While I think it is barbaric, if one is to follow a religion based upon the
"book" then you either believe all of that, or you don't.

Maybe that is why Christians have been waiting so long for the second coming
They've changed what's in the book so much...Or maybe "all of it" is just a bunch of stuff
that gives folks an excuse to hate, or love, and stone each other....
So many awful things in the bible done out of "love".

If you are going to say you believe in something, and then pick out all the things
you don't like, you don't belong there in the first place. Just think how many agnostics,
atheists there really would be in the world, if folks were honest with themselves about
what they actually believe from "those books" supposedly divinely written

I always think, why would anyone believe crazy **** folks wrote down from so
long ago. They were ignorant in the life sciences, brutal, and frankly, more than just
a little "off".

Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:

Below is what I originally responded to, which was a largely incorrect assumption.
If you really want to keep arguing the topic further, perhaps you should visit the religion forum.
Perhaps you should, since you obviously do not know the history of either Islam or Christianity.
Maybe start with eastern orthodox, as in the Greek Orthodox Church.

At least my "opinion" about "stoning" is based on its barbaric and brutal nature. Not on where it originated from, which is "fact". A fact, a modern day Christian may not want to accept. BTW, I would not blame you.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Stoning goes back to the Old Testament. And whether we like it or not that they go back to the
stone age, it's their religion. No different than Christianity back then.

Difference between the West and there now; they "literally" practice what their book says, which was
probably exactly how it was done w/ Christianity & Islam 2000 years ago.

IMO, you either believe that **** or you don't. I don't, and anyone on this thread criticing,
should probably be an atheist...
I r one. And if I hear about Christians-majority countries stoning people to death in the name of their superstition I'll criticize them too. Except...I don't hear about them. Why is that? Some MSM conspiracy?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It will be here faster than you know it.

Somali militants stone woman to death
Such a peaceful religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies