Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:45 PM

34,301 posts, read 15,595,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
What were high schoolers of the 60's discussing on the political and social spectrum?
They not only discussed the war but participated in demonstrations. One of the photos in the Denver Post was of me in a demonstration at the capital. I was in 11th grade. We also discussed drugs, music, sex, long hair, tight jeans, cars, sports and education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,162,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not Denver, give credit where credit is due. This is happening in Jefferson County, a more conservative place than Denver.

In JeffCo history curriculum protests, students find their voice | CPR
Several stories, if you follow the link back.
With all the issues out in JeffCo and DougCo schools, makes me glad my kids are in DPS right now.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,683,412 times
Quote:
What were high schoolers of the 60's discussing on the political and social spectrum?
Civil rights was a very big thing. We were listening to Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, etc, and mourning the fact that we were too young to be on the bus for Freedom Summer. We were also concerned about school curriculum issues, because we were reading out of class and knew that we were being fed a fair amount of happy talk.

This was in a very conservative part of California, so many of us were also discussing conflicts with parents over these issues.

As well as all the usual teen-age angst over crushes, driving, who was going to be homecoming queen, etc, etc, etc.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:57 PM

34,301 posts, read 15,595,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Civil rights was a very big thing. We were listening to Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, etc, and mourning the fact that we were too young to be on the bus for Freedom Summer. We were also concerned about school curriculum issues, because we were reading out of class and knew that we were being fed a fair amount of happy talk.

This was in a very conservative part of California, so many of us were also discussing conflicts with parents over these issues.

As well as all the usual teen-age angst over crushes, driving, who was going to be homecoming queen, etc, etc, etc.
That's a very good point. Everyone watched the evening news ( it was on all 3 channels at the same time). I remember hearing a lot MLK and was having difficulty with what he said that reconciled with my mothers view that he was just a criminal. A view that some media played up to in effort to entrench that view. One of the things I had a hard time believing was the use of dogs and sticks being used on unarmed demonstrators.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,683,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
One of the things I had a hard time believing was the use of dogs and sticks being used on unarmed demonstrators.
I was, I think, about 12 when I saw Bull Connor's attack on black demonstrators on the news. It had a lifelong effect on me.

I grew up in a lily-white area. When I learned about the emancipation proclamation, and all the happy talk about how negroes were now free, I believed it. I had nothing to compare it to.

I don't know if anyone much younger than me could really relate to the bone-deep shock I, and many others I knew, felt. I couldn't understand how this could be happening in the land of the free. Because I believed whole-heartedly what I had been told about america.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:51 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Slaves went back to biblical times when God gave regulations about the discipline and treatment of slaves to Moses.

Slavery was around long before Moses.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 PM

39,023 posts, read 51,075,331 times
People need to pay attention to these down ballot races like school board. The tea party has realized that no one is watching and gets a wingnut on the ballot, who unopposed or with minimal support, can pull off a victory. These kooks do not reflect majority opinion but use their position to jam their antiquated, bigoted, and unamerican ideas down the throats of people who then have to take to the streets to stop them. It is easier to keep a nut out than it is to get one out. You just need to be informed about who they are and vote against them.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:25 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,097,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People need to pay attention to these down ballot races like school board. The tea party has realized that no one is watching and gets a wingnut on the ballot, who unopposed or with minimal support, can pull off a victory. These kooks do not reflect majority opinion but use their position to jam their antiquated, bigoted, and unamerican ideas down the throats of people who then have to take to the streets to stop them. It is easier to keep a nut out than it is to get one out. You just need to be informed about who they are and vote against them.
Here in Texas they gerrymander the districts. Texas is one of the most urban states now, but rural areas still hold incredible amount of power.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
The right-wing nuts have already put American students behind in the sciences. Now they want to teach fiction as history?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That was the driver and the mechanism, but not the reason for the civil war.

The Federal Governments overreach, taking states power away from the individual states. was the reason for the civil war. It was not about abolishing slavery, it was how they were going to go about doing it, with force. Not an amendment to the constitution.

Then look how unconstitutional reconstitution was, with the federal government appointing the legislative and executive branches of the once Confederate states with their pawns, and then amending the constitution.

And they wondered why all the resentment.

Education may take longer to achieve the same results, but there is ZERO resentment with education, unlike forced. The same resentment that still lasts to this day and age, 150 years later.
It was fought over state's rights, e.g. the right to own slaves.

Quote:
I remember discussing the election of 1964, Goldwater vs Johnson. I was 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies