Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
As our population ages, I worry none about entering Medicare in 15 months. A huge demographic will be retiring and voting.
They are far outnumbered by the young people who will be getting the vote and middle age voters. Still, those young people love their parents and grandparents and are strong supporters of old age policies that help them. Medicare is not going to go away nor is social security. I think defense and interventionism are on the chopping block of of the young, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Not at all likely. Medicare is upping the ante for primary care, what I do, and I will gladly take you on as new Medicare patient when you're enrolled.

Medicare Patients
Thanks for the link.

I hope it stays like this. I rarely use my health insurance (once in 15 years on my current policy)--and I probably won't use Medicare that much, but I want to know it's there and easily available.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:15 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
If I had any, they would grow up just fine without me....

I guess I just find getting old depressing. It has been depressing to watch the struggles of older family and friends over the years. It just SUCKS.

I have a living will in place--and any surgery I might have to have is always accompanied by a do-not-resuscitate order.

If someone in my family disregarded any of this--they'll get it from me later if I'm able, LOL!!

Thanks to Obamacare, my health insurance will be terminated next March, as they are closing shop. I am debating on whether to bother to get another policy--or wait until crappy Medicare kicks in 17 months later at 65.

I imagine Medicare will be mostly gutted by the time I have to have it, or nothing. The payments are being cut, and more and more doctors are not accepting Medicare.

Why would I want to see a future like this? No, thanks. I'd just as soon be in an urn or 6 ft under before it gets any worse.
Almost every doctor and hospital in my area is in Medicare while many of the private insurance plans offer more limited choices. As for "crappy" Medicare, I have not run into one single person who does not think that Medicare is the best health plan they have ever had. Try to find more than a thimblefull of seniors who would prefer to go back to their old employer plans!

Old 09-28-2014, 11:24 AM

113 posts, read 113,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabel teaberry View Post
Wasn't there a movie called,"the Shape of Things to Come" from the 60s,where anyone over 35 were placed in concentration camps,given acid and left to die?I think that was the name of it.
Because of statements like Zeke Emmanuels, I opt to keep my gun.
If I give that right up,the only people who will have guns are the military and the police.
I know where that's going to leave me.I am almost 60 years old.
There will be a day in this country where certain selected people in the American caste system will have to literally fight to stay alive.
Quote:
As our population ages, I worry none about entering Medicare in 15 months. A huge demographic will be retiring and voting.
Will it be the same for the elderly people who receive Medicaid? Do you suspect Dr.Emmanuel was speaking indirectly to them?

Old 09-28-2014, 11:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Almost every doctor and hospital in my area is in Medicare while many of the private insurance plans offer more limited choices. As for "crappy" Medicare, I have not run into one single person who does not think that Medicare is the best health plan they have ever had. Try to find more than a thimblefull of seniors who would prefer to go back to their old employer plans!
My old employer plans of several years ago were far better than they are now.

If they got rid of all the fraud in the system, I think it would be much better, but....!

I guess I'll find out when I get there--2 years away at this point.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
While in a nursing home?
At age 70? While I couldn't find any stat for the average age to enter a nursing home, half of NH residents are over 85. Only 13.3% are 65-74.
About Nursing Homes

Good grief, you must be under 40 if you think people are entering nursing homes in droves while still in their 60s.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:43 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabel teaberry View Post
Will it be the same for the elderly people who receive Medicaid? Do you suspect Dr.Emmanuel was speaking indirectly to them?
Medicaid is state based, so there are no guarantees.

Emmanuel was thinking aloud about his personal wishes and projections.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
At age 70? While I couldn't find any stat for the average age to enter a nursing home, half of NH residents are over 85. Only 13.3% are 65-74.
About Nursing Homes

Good grief, you must be under 40 if you think people are entering nursing homes in droves while still in their 60s.
I'm 30.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
"Americans seem to be obsessed with exercising, doing mental puzzles, consuming various juice and protein concoctions, sticking to strict diets, and popping vitamins and supplements, all in a valiant effort to cheat death and prolong life as long as possible. This has become so pervasive that it now defines a cultural type: what I call the American immortal. I reject this aspiration. I think this manic desperation to endlessly extend life is misguided and potentially destructive. For many reasons, 75 is a pretty good age to aim to stop"

Article: Obamacare Creator: Die at 75!

Video: Dr. Zeke Emanuel: 75 Years Long Enough to Live

Way to go you low life, spineless, wormy, cringe inducing, panty-waste. Scare 'em, guilt 'em, insult em, not-so-subletly try to pursuade them. All with a cheesy smile on your face.

Warming up the unwashed masses.

The slime ball is 57 years old. Let's see what this moron does when he is 74 years old.
Maybe you and other conservatives should have someone patient read his essay to you, seeing as you seem incapable or unwilling to read it yourself and form an original opinion. I've read it, and while I don't subscribe to his exact stance, there is a lot of interesting food for thought in there.

He is writing only about his personal opinion, not on policy for everyone. He is simply writing that in spite of medical advancement, there is a major qualitative, non-scientific aspect to life, and that when he ruminates upon the entire concept of life from a philosophical standpoint, he personally rejects the notion that he would want to extend his life forever under any conditions of incapacitation. It's his right.

Here is the essay. From the essay, which you surely missed:

Why I Hope to Die at 75 - The Atlantic

Quote:
Again, let me be clear: I am not saying that those who want to live as long as possible are unethical or wrong. I am certainly not scorning or dismissing people who want to live on despite their physical and mental limitations. I’m not even trying to convince anyone I’m right. Indeed, I often advise people in this age group on how to get the best medical care available in the United States for their ailments. That is their choice, and I want to support them.

And I am not advocating 75 as the official statistic of a complete, good life in order to save resources, ration health care, or address public-policy issues arising from the increases in life expectancy. What I am trying to do is delineate my views for a good life and make my friends and others think about how they want to live as they grow older. I want them to think of an alternative to succumbing to that slow constriction of activities and aspirations imperceptibly imposed by aging. Are we to embrace the “American immortal” or my “75 and no more” view?
Conservatives, of course, once again demonstrate themselves as incapable of reading a fully body of reasoning, assessing the logic in context, and forming a reasoned and insightful opinion. Understanding things requires more effort, and gaining insight requires some level of intellectual honesty. Much easier for you to get two or three completely out-of-context soundbites cooked up to feed the biased agenda of some crooked AM radio hack.

Last edited by ambient; 09-28-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Maybe you and other conservatives should have someone patient read his essay to you, seeing as you seem incapable or unwilling to read it yourself and form an original opinion. I've read it, and while I don't subscribe to his exact stance, there is a lot of interesting food for thought in there.

He is writing only about his personal opinion, not on policy for everyone. He is simply writing that in spite of medical advancement, there is a major qualitative, non-scientific aspect to life, and that when he ruminates upon the entire concept of life from a philosophical standpoint, he personally rejects the notion that he would want to extend his life forever under any conditions of incapacitation. It's his right.

Here is the essay. From the essay, which you surely missed:

Why I Hope to Die at 75 - The Atlantic

Conservatives, of course, once again demonstrate themselves as incapable of reading a fully body of reasoning, assessing the logic in context, and forming a reasoned and insightful opinion. Understanding things requires more effort, and gaining insight requires some level of intellectual honesty. Much easier for you to get two or three completely out-of-context soundbites cooked up to feed the biased agenda of some crooked AM radio hack.
Since when do conservatives actually want to spend any effort reading and thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies