Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 09:32 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I remember when I was young, I knew more than any elder could even possibly know. Then I grew up and found how wrong I was.

I am sorry this was your experience, maybe you didn't get good education, maybe you just grew up around people who were not too smart. Nevertheless your personal experience does not mean it is true for everybody or it is general rule.

You old guys have to realize that we live in the era of young educated people, people like creators of Google, Facebook, Tesla Motors and thousands of others companies that proved that you don't have to be over 40 to be an ultra-successful businessman or to make an impact on both the economy and society.

You have to also realize that this is not 1956, 1964 or even 1983. These are different times, different world and society. You have to understand that if you can't comprehend something it does not mean it is "STUPID" but only that you don't get it for whatever reason. Don't be old geezers who perceive the world through their insecurities and inadequacies. The world is moving forward and there is nothing you or anybody else can do about it. There is no way to go stop that or to go back to more familiar times.

Last edited by random_thoughts; 09-28-2014 at 09:46 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 09:38 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
What education? The federally induced kind like what is out there now?
Well, yeah. That's what I was referring to. Though, there are other ways to go about educating people without a public school system.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:58 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
I am sorry this was your experience, maybe you didn't get good education, maybe you just grew up around idiots. Nevertheless your personal experience does not mean it is true for everybody.

We live in the era of young educated people, people like creators of Google, Facebook, Tesla Motors and thousands of others companies that prove that you don't have to be over 40 to be an ultra-successful businessman or to make an impact on both the economy and society.
I am very happy we have "young, educated people." (Yes, I added the comma. I can also diagram sentences.) But when I see very young creators of mega businesses that affect masses of people in huge ways, I become concerned. I wonder how much wisdom these young people have. How much integrity. What about their character?

We used to be a nation of at least some absolutes. Some things were just wrong, and most people knew it. There was more cohesion. Now, thanks in large measure to the educational system, everything is subjective. Right and wrong is much harder to come by. Things have gotten slimy.

We'll see where the young billionaires who have grown up in this climate are taking us. Because with this wealth comes power. (See Bill Gates.) Let's hope they use their power wisely and responsibly.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:58 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
Quote:
I am sorry this was your experience, maybe you didn't get good education, maybe you just grew up around idiots. Nevertheless your personal experience does not mean it is true for everybody.

We live in the era of young educated people, people like creators of Google, Facebook, Tesla Motors and thousands of others companies that prove that you don't have to be over 40 to be an ultra-successful businessman or to make an impact on both the economy and society.

I will admit, I like your spunk, kind of reminding me of myself years ago. Except we did not criticize people we knew very little about. That is another quality of our declining nation, no respect for each other.

I was successful many years before I turned 40, but I do realize today that I would be even farther ahead if I would have listened to some of the advice people tried to give me instead of thinking their ideas were outdated. I use to look at older people as clueless and afraid of change.

But mankind is flawed in so many ways and that makes us who we are. Could you imagine if we actually learned something from history and did not repeat the same mistakes how much of a better world we would be living in today.

Facebook contributes nothing very positive for society but Google and Tesla Motors are good examples of young people doing great things.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:04 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
I am sorry this was your experience, maybe you didn't get good education, maybe you just grew up around people who were not too smart. Nevertheless your personal experience does not mean it is true for everybody or it is general rule.

You old guys have to realize that we live in the era of young educated people, people like creators of Google, Facebook, Tesla Motors and thousands of others companies that proved that you don't have to be over 40 to be an ultra-successful businessman or to make an impact on both the economy and society.

You have to also realize that this is not 1956, 1964 or even 1983. These are different times, different world and society. You have to understand that if you can't comprehend something it does not mean it is "STUPID" but only that you don't get it for whatever reason. Don't be old geezers who perceive the world through their insecurities and inadequacies. The world is moving forward and there is nothing you or anybody else can do about it. There is no way to go stop that or to go back to more familiar times.
Just don't text and drive and we'll get along fine because that's about all I see from the young generation, pure stupidity.

If you survive to older age maybe you'll learn something along the way. Maybe.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:09 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
She posted a response to the OP stating that EVERYONE owned a house. Her experience is a direct rebuttal and appropriate to the thread.
I got that. He was wrong, it doesn't make her right to say MOST people didn't.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:16 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:

Charming.

Perfect example of parents not teaching basic respect and a youngster thinking they are so secure and more than adequate - superior?- to the point they know everything.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Well, yeah. That's what I was referring to. Though, there are other ways to go about educating people without a public school system.

Can you please provide an example of a country which successfully implemented that non-public model?
Please amuse me. LOL

Old 09-28-2014, 10:44 AM

Respect is something that you earn. I am 45 years old, hardly a youngster, but if i ever get to the point of being an "old geezer who sees not change but decline everywhere he looks" I hope that someone takes me out of my misery right there.

You older folks have to understand that the world has changed and you simply can't grasp many things that are happening today just like your parents couldn't grasp long hair and rock'n'roll, jazz etc.

The only thing that doesn't change i the change itself. Get used to it or risk being ridiculed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Charming.

Perfect example of parents not teaching basic respect and a youngster thinking they are so secure and more than adequate - superior?- to the point they know everything.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:45 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post

Well when you let in millions of people from the 3rd world what did we think was going to happen?

You bring 3rd world people, you get 3rd world problems..
Then whine and b**** about 1st world woes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies