Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 12:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There has never been such time in US, or any other country. Maybe in the eyes of a young boy it seemed that way, but it simply was not the case.
Not sure about the home ownership part but the married part is spot on. This is easily documented by statistics. Folks were more likely to be married in the past.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:16 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimer1947 View Post
When I was a young boy, every family owned a home, people got married, had kids and could afford them.
When I was a young girl, whether or not people could afford houses and children had no bearing on how they treated them. I was born in 1948.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:22 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not sure about the home ownership part but the married part is spot on. This is easily documented by statistics.
I love and respect statistics. Easily documented source, please?

Old 09-28-2014, 02:38 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
When I was a young boy, every family owned a home, people got married, had kids and could afford them.

Now, every community innthis country seems to have a "ghetto" area, race relations are a mess and nobody has amy idea how to make things better. There are so many women having kids out of wedlock its mind boggling. And those fathers, more often than not, don't ever marry the woman they had a child with.

Moreover, what happened to morality? The crimes I read about and the senselessness of them go beyond words. We use to play stick ball in the street. The worst we did was open up old fire hydrants on a hot day in the summer. Now, the crimes are horrific. Teen girls murdering other teens in cold blood because they didn't want be friends anymore.

It's truly sickening. Its amazing how I have seen things get worse over the decades. Where do we go from here? Is our country seeing the sunset on our best days? Or will we be able to rally around eachother and go back to the way things use to be.

Nobody wants to work anymore. These government handouts have done so much to cripple our society. And whats worse is, its like "give a dog a bone," in that, since they have been given so much, I fear we will never be able to force people to work again because they are use to getting things for free.

I don't want to get Political, but this is a major source of resentment that exists acorss the working/non working citizens.

So now what do we do?
Let me guess government helping groups of people you hate is the cause of everything going to the bad.

This is the great conservative critique always.

What's wrong with society?

The government helping too many people whom conservatives hate and ont think are deserving of help from their government.

That's all conservatives have. That's their great contribution to the debate.

it is utterly worthless and ignorant.

Anyone who thinks America is worse today needs to study American history.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:53 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
"When I was a young boy, every family owned a home, people got married, had kids and could afford them."

Or, we could go back a little farther to the 1920's. People were jumping off buildings, eating dandelions, losing the family farm and had kids they couldn't afford. Or the 1940's when all the fathers were gone and everything was rationed. I'm very grateful that the 80's and 90's were good to me, but sometimes the good old days weren't that great.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:03 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,594 times
Quote:
Yes, similar to Mayberry. Like much of this country was in the 50s.

Maybe you just never seen "much of this country" in the 50s... LOL

Old 09-28-2014, 03:05 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I love and respect statistics. Easily documented source, please?

He already said "easily documented source". What else do you want? LOL

Old 09-28-2014, 03:12 AM

433 posts, read 290,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Why? A lot of this erosion of the middle class after the top marginal tax rates went from 70% to below 40%.
That was due to failing government run schools, busing, immigration both legal or other wise..

Old 09-28-2014, 03:14 AM

433 posts, read 290,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Let me guess government helping groups of people you hate is the cause of everything going to the bad.

This is the great conservative critique always.

What's wrong with society?

The government helping too many people whom conservatives hate and ont think are deserving of help from their government.

That's all conservatives have. That's their great contribution to the debate.

it is utterly worthless and ignorant.

Anyone who thinks America is worse today needs to study American history.
Really coming from the side that sees nothing but race, class, gender, and party..I think that is just a riot..

Your mindset is permanently stuck in 1955 to 1969...Not a single new idea...

Clinging to a outdated, proven failure of a ideology.

Last edited by Liberty Above All Else; 09-28-2014 at 04:04 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 03:20 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
Really coming from the side that sees nothing but race, class, gender, and party..I think that is just a riot..
That's all the conservative critique is.

Everything is bad because the government is helping black people.

Everything is bad because the government is helping poor people.

Everything is bad because the government is helping single moms.

Everything is bad because the government is helping illegals.

The government needs to stop helping these groups of people whom conservatives hate and do not think are deserving of help.

The government should only help rich people, huge corporations and deserving people.

This is the grand conservative ideology.

There is nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies