Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The other question is why are those minimum wage earners working on the next step to get a better job?

I worked my way up and I cam remember my first job was $1.65 per hour. Even back then I understood it was a starting place to group.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no interest in becoming a convenience store or fast food manager, and I can't afford to go to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 12:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they left that one wide open with "living wage".
Who in their right mind passes subjective laws ?
Exactly! (See my post below)

Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The other question is why are those minimum wage earners working on the next step to get a better job?

I worked my way up and I cam remember my first job was $1.65 per hour. Even back then I understood it was a starting place to group.
Same here! $1.65/hr. I went from that to $2.25/hr not long after, and soon after that, I was raised to $2.50/hr.

No one is expected to remain at minimum wage, unless they are exceedingly stupid!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
lmao@thinkprogress.
I can't believe anybody uses that rag as a source and expects to be respected!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The WI statute says, “Every wage paid or agreed to be paid by any employer to any employee…shall be not less than a living wage,†which must be enough to “permit an employee to maintain herself or himself in minimum comfort, decency, physical and moral well-being.†The state minimum wage can’t be less than that.

The WI minimum wage at $7.25 falls short of a minimum wage.

Low-Wage Workers Confront Scott Walker, Accuse Wisconsin Of Breaking The Law | ThinkProgress
Thats not going to stand up in court, however, no one can survive off of 7.25( i thought WI was higher than that though )

Old 09-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I live in Wisconsin and haven't heard about this yet, but I'm sure it'll be a big story. The political climate here is such that many strongly support Walker, but many absolutely hate him with a passion and continually find ways to attack him. If this is truly what the law says, then it's extremely badly written. Too much left for interpretation. I also wouldn't be surprised if this was made up or twisted in some way. I'm not "pro-Walker" or "anti-Walker" but there have been a lot of fishy things going on between the two sides.
The only people that hate Walker are the thuggish union apparatchik and the Left wing extremists who, without the union wouldn't be able to hold a job for 1 week!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I can't believe anybody uses that rag as a source and expects to be respected!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
lmao@thinkprogress.
So in other words, neither of your can discredit it.

I actually agree that the article makes no sense, but that has nothing to do with the site and neither of you took the time to actually discredit what was being said.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:31 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,711 times
Is the op concerned with what obama has done with breaking the laws of the land including his own obamacare law? Of course not. Just another leftwing attack from the mind of his boss, Soros.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:31 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no interest in becoming a convenience store or fast food manager, and I can't afford to go to school.
So, are you telling us that work is below you? I know some guys I started with at a convenience store chain that stayed with it and are now driving Company cars. They also put him through school.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:32 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I live in Wisconsin and haven't heard about this yet, but I'm sure it'll be a big story. The political climate here is such that many strongly support Walker, but many absolutely hate him with a passion and continually find ways to attack him. If this is truly what the law says, then it's extremely badly written. Too much left for interpretation. I also wouldn't be surprised if this was made up or twisted in some way. I'm not "pro-Walker" or "anti-Walker" but there have been a lot of fishy things going on between the two sides.

Walker and other conservatives should be pressed for their personal position on this issue, and should further be pressed to explain how one might live selfsufficiently on $7.25 per hour.

If you thought the budget proposed by McDonald's was amusing, just wait until Walker and his pals offer theirs.

Legislation is written in this sloppy sort of way to allow politicians to go back to voters and say they addressed the issue, without actually producing negative fallout.

When Congress does this sort of thing, the gruesome details are left to a bunch of unelected rulemakers, thereby insulating Congress from the eventual fallout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies