Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:13 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times

Advertisements

I read the entire article. Twice. Other than election results and some anecdotal quotes referring to the bipartisan process called gerrymandering (which both parties do, with relish, whenever they hold the majority and want to protect incumbency), there is no set of facts, no legsilative pattern, no written/debated/passed laws, nor national committee level evidence that would suffice as evidence in any sort of real deabte.

The central premise is that Southern Dixiecrats were Jim Crow racists who voted against the Civil Rights Act, and then all switched their party when King JFK the Benevolent began pushing for civil rights, thus, the 2014 GOP is racist. I'd call it a poorly formed, incorrect conclusion, but even that is too generous as the word "conclusion" implies some sort of logic processwas involved, which is certainly not the case here.

It's a garden variety liberal axe grind. GOP = racist because Nixon/Wallace/Goldwater/Southern Strategy/Reagan_welfare_queen/Tea Party/Duke lacrosse/whatever.

I go back to which policy, specifically designed, written and enacted into law to purposefully hurt black people, the GOP is responsible for. Where is the pattern of law itself, i.e. that which a national party could hold power over, that is specifically aimed ay helping white people or hurting black people, and says so even indirectly? Name the freaking law, since 1965, that is in any way a direct racist agenda against blacks and is the sole property of the GOP. Good luck, as that search will prove difficult.

No, here is an example of the "facts" in that article:
Quote:
By the 1966 midterms, Democratic candidates all over the country were finding that openly courting the black vote had sent many of their white constituents fleeing into the GOP’s waiting arms. Conservative Republicans made significant electoral gains that year, thanks to mass defections from the traditional New Deal Democratic coalition that had allowed that party to dominate presidential politics since 1932. Chief among these defectors were the white urban ethnic groups of the industrial North. In 1960, Kennedy captured 75 percent of the vote in traditional Polish and other Eastern European precincts in Illinois. By 1966, the Democratic share there was down to 53 percent. And in Ohio’s 1966 gubernatorial race the Democratic share of the Polish vote dropped 39 percentage points from Johnson’s 1964 totals, and a whopping 45 points from what Kennedy earned in 1960.

It’s not hard to understand what happened. Worried by racial unrest in their cities—“urban disorders,” they called it—and the threat of open-housing marches in their neighborhoods, these groups were no longer willing, en masse, to support a party that had come to be identified with an urban black underclass that they saw as pushing too fast for racial change.
From what facts other than electoral outcomes, do they base the motivation for white, urban, ethnic voters voting republican SOLELY because Democrats were openly courting the "urban black underclass?" This is faulty logic common to social "scientists" who take accepted myth as fact, and use that myth as the underlying assumption that "proves" a conclusion. It also assumes that the party platform of the Democrats in the 1960s, other than the black urban underclass, was superior to the GOP's where the day to day interests of the white urban ethnic voter was concerned. So I have to believe a bunch of assumptions based on nothing but accepted myth and narrative for that factually unsupported conclusion to have any basis whatsoever.

And to think, this is the work of people with PhDs. Clearly, advanced degrees in the social sciences do not require logical rigor.

It is an accepted, yet false, narrative that the GOP is racist, same as all kinds of other mythology. To "win" a debate, actual facts other than inferences made from electoral maps based on "here's where the racists were back then, look at them migrate." Plenty of people have already written on The Myth of Republican Racism, but they all point to the same debunkings, like Thurmond being the only Dixiecrat to actually switch parties.

Again, standard liberal bleating about racism. As always, nearly devoid of facts, based almost entirely on assumption, published so that people already in agreement will say "hellz yeah" and keep blindly voting for things they clearly know nothing about.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:15 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You constitutional purests need to realize that the Founders were a bunch of idiots that get way too much credit.

Remember, Men =/= non-white men or women.
The founders were brilliant men who understood human nature, were steeped in the writings of great philosophers like John Locke, and Montesquieu, and whose genius created a government like no other in the history of man.

The likes of Barack Obama cannot hold a candle to those men who were our Founding Fathers.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Thank you proving my point.

You are caught up in racial hysteria and there is simply no reasoning with you.

I mean, take a look at what you have written. That is the kind of drivel parents dress down their children for spouting off.

You elected a less than accomplished President. His skin color has nothing to do with it. He is just over his head.
Good luck trying to explain what is wrong with any of my posts. You are free to at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I want my right to be a racist supported too.
No, racism infringes on the rights of others.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:23 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I read the entire article. Twice. Other than election results and some anecdotal quotes referring to the bipartisan process called gerrymandering (which both parties do, with relish, whenever they hold the majority and want to protect incumbency), there is no set of facts, no legsilative pattern, no written/debated/passed laws, nor national committee level evidence that would suffice as evidence in any sort of real deabte.
Correct, both parties gerrymander.

Quote:
The central premise is that Southern Dixiecrats were Jim Crow racists who voted against the Civil Rights Act, and then all switched their party when King JFK the Benevolent began pushing for civil rights, thus, the 2014 GOP is racist. I'd call it a poorly formed, incorrect conclusion, but even that is too generous as the word "conclusion" implies some sort of logic processwas involved, which is certainly not the case here.
Actually, it is true. Where are you finding evidence to disprove the hypothesis? Voting trends confirm it.

Quote:
It's a garden variety liberal axe grind. GOP = racist because Nixon/Wallace/Goldwater/Southern Strategy/Reagan_welfare_queen/Tea Party/Duke lacrosse/whatever.

I go back to which policy, specifically designed, written and enacted into law to purposefully hurt black people, the GOP is responsible for. Where is the pattern of law itself, i.e. that which a national party could hold power over, that is specifically aimed ay helping white people or hurting black people, and says so even indirectly? Name the freaking law, since 1965, that is in any way a direct racist agenda against blacks and is the sole property of the GOP. Good luck, as that search will prove difficult.
You fundamentally are missing the point. Authoring blatantly racist legislation is different than supporting candidates that use racial politics to grab power.

Quote:
No, here is an example of the "facts" in that article:

From what facts other than electoral outcomes, do they base the motivation for white, urban, ethnic voters voting republican SOLELY because Democrats were openly courting the "urban black underclass?" This is faulty logic common to social "scientists" who take accepted myth as fact, and use that myth as the underlying assumption that "proves" a conclusion. It also assumes that the party platform of the Democrats in the 1960s, other than the black urban underclass, was superior to the GOP's where the day to day interests of the white urban ethnic voter was concerned. So I have to believe a bunch of assumptions based on nothing but accepted myth and narrative for that factually unsupported conclusion to have any basis whatsoever.
I mean, when you put it that way....

Quote:
And to think, this is the work of people with PhDs. Clearly, advanced degrees in the social sciences do not require logical rigor.
But you do? When discrediting articles based on quantitative and qualitative research, where do you get off being more credible than voting results and research?

Quote:
It is an accepted, yet false, narrative that the GOP is racist, same as all kinds of other mythology. To "win" a debate, actual facts other than inferences made from electoral maps based on "here's where the racists were back then, look at them migrate." Plenty of people have already written on The Myth of Republican Racism, but they all point to the same debunkings, like Thurmond being the only Dixiecrat to actually switch parties.
The migration is pretty telling. Are you looking for a straw poll from 1965 as the only valid evidence? That is called moving the goal post into territory that can't be charted (kind of the point).

Quote:
Again, standard liberal bleating about racism. As always, nearly devoid of facts, based almost entirely on assumption, published so that people already in agreement will say "hellz yeah" and keep blindly voting for things they clearly know nothing about.
Actually it had facts. You just talked yourself into discrediting the evidence.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,601 times
Quote:
Not really. Feel free to provide scientific evidence that says blacks are genetically less intelligent than whites.

Here's a couple more for you.

Black-White IQ Differences

DNA Discoverer: Blacks Less Intelligent Than Whites | Fox News

Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
No, racism infringes on the rights of others.
Discrimination based on race, sex or other things like that might infringe on the rights of other people but please explain how someone simply being racist infringes on your rights in any way.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I love the black half of Obama, it's the white half that I dislike.

That's racist. I hate BOTH sides of Obama.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:29 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
[quote=Opin_Yunated;36683888]Good luck trying to explain what is wrong with any of my posts. You are free to at any time.

QUOTE]

Sadly, I have little in the way of response to hysteria.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Not really. You made the hypothesis. There is no scientific evidence that says racial genes affect intelligence. If there is, please present it.

The same polling agency that predicted a landslide Romney victory?
See. You wouldn't accept a link from MSNBC if it didn't support your own views.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:32 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Yet more of the tired...

GOP. RACE. RACIST. RACISM. RACE. RACIST. RACISM. RACE. RACIST. RACISM. RACE. RACIST. RACISM.

GOP. RACE. RACIST. RACISM. RACE. RACIST. RACISM. RACE. RACIST. RACISM. RACE. RACIST. RACISM.

Pretty much all one needs to know of this thread and its hysterical race-baiters perpetuating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies