Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:51 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Stop it with your nonsense and facts, this is about how women shouldn't be allowed to do a "man's job," which is typical from the right wingers.
thats exactly what this is. What if the president died?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 04:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
umm, no.

[
The East room and the Residence are on 2 different sides of the White House and there are like 5 Security check points in between. The attacker would have had to beat up like 20 Secret service members and about 12 Marines to get into the residence.
um (does 'um' have one or two m's? who knows, it's not an English word) yes. Numerous sources now reporting that the intruder did indeed pass by the stairs leading to the First Family's residential quarters.
White House intruder made it past stairs to Obama family residence, report says - World Israel News | Haaretz

Old 09-30-2014, 05:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Imagine if this were a group of say 20 or so well trained & well equipped terrorists instead of one mentally ill guy with a knife?
This is really the crux of the matter, and doubtless there are groups around the world with their ears perked up over this incident. From my reading about the Secret Service I have always been impressed by them as innovative, loyal, dedicated, and effective. The Secret Service was one of the progressive agencies to adopt the .357 Sig round when it came out in 1994, along with the Texas Rangers. Later the Secret Service went to the FN 5.7 round, and that too was a good move IMO.

I don't know if the agency needs an overhaul so much as to jettison political correctness and get back to basics. The basic mission is to ensure that their violence is superior to that of anyone who would attack our POTUS. They seem to have lost that, at least at the leadership level.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't think this had anything to do with there being a female officer manning the door or whatever, I think that systematically the Secret Service has become too lax and incompetent. In all fairness the NYT article clearly states that the female officer helped another officer subdue him in the Green Room. They have themselves convinced that there will never be a serious attempt on the White House itself and that all they have to worry about is the occasional loonie who will get caught before he/she even gets over the fence.

1) Where were the snipers on the roof?
2) Where was the supposedly elite Counter-Assault team?
3) Where were the attack dogs?
4) Why dident anyone see him climbing over the fence?

Where was everyone? Out to lunch?

EDIT: I humbly suggest we consider an expanded role for the US Marine Corps Security Forces in securing the building and grounds of the White House complex. They already protect Camp David and help secure our embassies/diplomatic facilities and US Navy bases.
Speculation on my part that they had just waved off the first family and relaxed.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I always say that if fences don't work, why does the White House have one?

I do find it quite troubling that this man was able to get so close to our President.
Given the first family was not home, he did not get close.

We'll never know if the first family had been home, if the SS would have been on top of the situation.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:40 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
So will he have charges added on since he physically overpowered a woman? Weren't we taught that we should never hit a woman because they're women, typically far weaker than men?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Despite what the liberal idiots here say, no there'd be no happy dance. The Presidents safety should be a priority, no matter who it is. If it can happen to Obama, it could happen to someone I actually respect.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:51 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Despite what the liberal idiots here say, no there'd be no happy dance. The Presidents safety should be a priority, no matter who it is.
It's very unfortunate that they make such inflammatory claims about their fellow Americans just for having different political views. But it goes along with the other nasty tactics (labeling like teahadists, American Taliban, domestic terrorists) they consider acceptable.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
If anyone, especially the news media and Congress, read Ronald Kessler's book, "In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect" they would know what problems plague the Secret Service. Most of the book is the Secret Service agents' opinions of the presidents and their families they served (from Kennedy to Obama) and how the agents were treated as people by each President (and their family members) but some of the book foreshadows their problems protecting the President now. I think the hardcover book was written in 2009 so the current President was just taking office. They do not comment on the politics of any of the Presidents. It's in paperback now.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 PM

37,177 posts, read 19,200,869 times
I think the GOP ought to draft Omar to run in 2016. He already made it closer to the Oval Office than Mitt did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies