Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Obviously none. I let the definition of extortion, "the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats" tell me when a tax is extortion.

What would you call me if I forced you to buy something that you didn't want, did not receive, or took your money to give to someone else against your will with the threat of violence? An extortionist maybe?

The State has no moral right to do anything that an individual does not have a moral right to do.
Sounds like to me that you are, indeed, saying that the government is engaging in extortion or theft or whatever.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Lmao...I believe you are right

No she cannot...read the laws posted in the beginning of the thread...she would be discriminating on religion...basic civil right...now that being said,I am 100% for a business reserving the right to service and there are ways to do that without being a total moron and posting it on her website...that was the dumb move and was done as a publicity stunt...and it worked,here we are.....FOX and "fiends" will have her on,slobber and fawn over her for awhile,the local brown shirts at the Tea Party will invite her to speak and if her WILDEST dreams happen the white trash Barbie Pailin will mention her in one of her flatulant "tweets"...its a make it or break it time in this woman's life
PLEASE give the owner a microphone for a couple days. Watch her inner Cliven Bundy come out and then the morons at Fox News and their cohorts will start running for the hills when she starts her Negro tirades, par for the course for a redneck like her.

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Sounds like to me that you are, indeed, saying that the government is engaging in extortion or theft or whatever.
In most cases, yes. Certainly not in every case. Fees for services in a free market is perfectly fine.

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
Obviously none. I let the definition of extortion, "the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats" tell me when a tax is extortion.

What would you call me if I forced you to buy something that you didn't want, did not receive, or took your money to give to someone else against your will with the threat of violence? An extortionist maybe?

The State has no moral right to do anything that an individual does not have a moral right to do.
Where is that written down? As far as I know, the right to levy taxes is explicitly mentioned in the US constitution. Is this not so?

Yes, I'd call you an extortionist. But you aren't a government, and a shakedown isn't taxation, so I don't know why you brought it up.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
Quote:
In most cases, yes. Certainly not in every case. Fees for services in a free market is perfectly fine.
Paying taxes is perfectly fine as well. I said so. You may feel otherwise, but I don't see any reason to take your feelings into account.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Taxes are perfectly legal, and have been since Mesopotamian civilization. Your personal feelings have no relevance to the subject. Taxes are constitutional

Old 09-30-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Where is that written down? As far as I know, the right to levy taxes is explicitly mentioned in the US constitution. Is this not so?

Yes, I'd call you an extortionist. But you aren't a government, and a shakedown isn't taxation, so I don't know why you brought it up.
If you are force by threat of violence to pay taxes for a service that you do not want or receive, those "taxes" are extortion.

The Constitution is not the source of morality. However yes, it does numerate and limit the "proper" use of taxation. (Obviously it is interpreted however the ruling elite wish to interpret it though, because they are the rulers who rule by aggression.)

And being forced to hand your money over to a more favored person by threats of violence, even if its called a "tax" is just that, a "shakedown", with no justification. Just as being forced to fund a benefit to another is not charity, or "tax", it is just extortion.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Taxes are perfectly legal, and have been since Mesopotamian civilization. Your personal feelings have no relevance to the subject. Taxes are constitutional
Legality and morality have no fixed relationship whatsoever. For the most part "legality" is just the "justification" of the immorality of the elite.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:45 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I doubt it. I don't think this business has any plan at all to refuse service to anyone, and you can't get "hauled into court" for SAYING that you'll refuse service. You have to actually DO it.
Yes of course, and normally no one would notice. But this business owner is going out of his way for publicity. So what will follow is an ACLU contractor with a turban asking to shoot a machine gun and then well it goes from there

Old 09-30-2014, 12:46 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
PLEASE give the owner a microphone for a couple days. Watch her inner Cliven Bundy come out and then the morons at Fox News and their cohorts will start running for the hills when she starts her Negro tirades, par for the course for a redneck like her.
Lmao...I can see that happening and would get a good laugh out of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies