Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:11 PM

433 posts, read 290,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
yep.

Just like section 8 housing. They love to prop up someone for it cause it makes em feel good like helping someone, as long as its in your neighborhood not theirs. A section 8 house where grass grows 4 foot tall, drugs are sold and 8 tenants live when only a single family is suppose to is ok as long as its away from their front window view.
Why do you think we should do away with it, and limit house to being on a full acre of land, price out the slum lords....They will call us names, I do not care...

I have cleared apartments, I have found pizza in air vents and feces in the walls...And that is not the top of the worse of the worse list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
Great thread. Biased, faux-conservative quoting a conservative article quoting a study from a conservative organization. Surely, no bias there.

It's not as if immigration patterns and retirement patters of an aging population have anything to do with it.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:19 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Above All Else View Post
Why do you think we should do away with it, and limit house to being on a full acre of land, price out the slum lords....They will call us names, I do not care...

I have cleared apartments, I have found pizza in air vents and feces in the walls...And that is not the top of the worse of the worse list...
You know I am not against helping other overcome and move up, not against being taxed (within reason) to support it including section 8. But there has to be tighter guidelines you can't just give somebody something when they don't appreciate it and expect a positive outcome.

However I have seen section 8 time and time again become over grown, over occupied drug dealing houses, once was right across the street from me in a otherwise well kept safe hood.

But like voting taxes then fleeing them, they do the same with things like section 8. If that ever happened across their street they would move away but then vote it again somewhere else.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Great thread. Biased, faux-conservative quoting a conservative article quoting a study from a conservative organization. Surely, no bias there.

It's not as if immigration patterns and retirement patters of an aging population have anything to do with it.
Why would you work harder for less? You will not.

Why live in high tax, high crime, low freedom states when you can live in low tax, low cost, low crime, free states? You will not, you will move.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:

Why live in high tax, high crime, low freedom states when you can live in low tax, low cost, low crime, free states? You will not, you will move.
Crime isn't higher in the NE though, nor is crime lower in the South.

Quote:
No, it proves it wrong..
No it doesn't. The homicide rate is 5.5 for the south and 3.7 for the NE, so my point doesn't change. Even if you look at cities by overall crime rate, the NE still comes up on top.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 10-08-2014 at 06:42 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
Quote:

I've been to most states. I'm actually only missing 6. I've also been to 30+ countries and most everywhere in Canada.

I live in a higher cost state because the lower cost states suck. Plenty of them are far from low crime and there's not a ton of freedom there. Nothing about a bunch of bible thumping morons shoving their religion down your throat says freedom. You're kidding yourself if you think that world exists.

Ask one of those dry counties in the south if they're really free.

Quote:
No it doesn't. The homicide rate is 5.5 for the south and 3.7 for the NE, so my point doesn't change. Even if you look at cities by overall crime rate, the NE still comes up on top.
Don't go bringing logic into this when you're debating with the emotionally charged, uneducated types.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:37 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
One thing to keep in mind is many (though granted not all) of those who leave the northeast for the south are retirees.

The cost of living is higher in the northeast no question about it, but so are incomes for the most part. Once retirement hits, the salary gap isn't there anymore so it will make sense for many people to move to a lower cost of living area. Not to mention because of supply and demand, values are larger in the northeast so many people, especially retirees can get a nice bank rollby selling there high value northeast property for something cheaper in the south.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You know I am not against helping other overcome and move up, not against being taxed (within reason) to support it including section 8. But there has to be tighter guidelines you can't just give somebody something when they don't appreciate it and expect a positive outcome.

However I have seen section 8 time and time again become over grown, over occupied drug dealing houses, once was right across the street from me in a otherwise well kept safe hood.

But like voting taxes then fleeing them, they do the same with things like section 8. If that ever happened across their street they would move away but then vote it again somewhere else.
I am not against helping either, but moving the problems of the inner cities to the suburbs is not helping.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is many (though granted not all) of those who leave the northeast for the south are retirees.

The cost of living is higher in the northeast no question about it, but so are incomes for the most part. Once retirement hits, the salary gap isn't there anymore so it will make sense for many people to move to a lower cost of living area. Not to mention because of supply and demand, values are larger in the northeast so many people, especially retirees can get a nice bank rollby selling there high value northeast property for something cheaper in the south.
The incomes are higher on average, why? Because they can not afford them to live there and leave, therefore those that stay have a higher income on average is slightly higher because the number of lower income people in the state is less then what is was before hand.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
SNOW!!! I HATE SNOW!!!!!!!!
SO I moved to FLorida - no snow. I don't mind heat.

But I LOVE a City. Fortunately, FL does have cities. Vibrant, active, noisy, busy, cultured cities - at least a few of them. And I live right in the heart of the City.
But that's ME. Others prefer rural. Others prefer suburban.

And most of the 20somethings I know, once they graduate from college, want to move to cities like NYC or Philly or CHicago or LA. They don't like the suburbs - not much there for them. And even less in rural areas. But again, it's just a matter of lifestyle choice.

There are just lots & lots of reasons for the population shift, not necessarily taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies