Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,063,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Doesn't sound as if you or I have a choice.

That choice has been made for you and I.

From 100's of choices to just 4. Limiting choice, is limiting liberty. Only government can do that.
Weird, I got to pick the insurance plan that I wanted, I had several to choose from. Does your state only have one plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,788,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Weird, I got to pick the insurance plan that I wanted, I had several to choose from. Does your state only have one plan?
If I have ten items, then I pick out three items out of the ten. I then go to you and let you pick one item out of the three, is that still freedom to pick the item that is best for you? Or is letting you pick one item out of the entire 10 available?

I still don't understand this desire of the left to make decisions for other people. Do you think people are too dumb to make decisions for themselves?

Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 AM

680 posts, read 1,030,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm a 2-time Obama voter who would like to see it repealed and replaced with a single-payer plan.
We'll never see that in this country in my lifetime, and public anger about Obamacare is a big reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The big problem with most polls is they don't give enough options.
The big problem is that the law is absolute garbage written by the insurance lobby. It was designed for and passed to take care of special interests. It has nothing to do with health care reform.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,063,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If I have ten items, then I pick out three items out of the ten. I then go to you and let you pick one item out of the three, is that still freedom to pick the item that is best for you? Or is letting you pick one item out of the entire 10 available?

I still don't understand this desire of the left to make decisions for other people. Do you think people are too dumb to make decisions for themselves?
How many health insurance plans do you sign up for at any given time? Also, you can still pick one out of those ten options because those would be the options any insurance company would be offering.

Why would you want to give an insurance company money for a policy that doesn't cover anything? Tell me how that makes sense? Apparently you are upset because you can't give money to a company that doesn't cover anything with their junk policies.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,889,280 times
Quote:
They do not understand how it works and never have, they go by what others have told them, it is how Cons operate.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:42 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,265,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Still my employer made the choice of my insurance FOR ME?? They chose insurance, plans that insurance GAVE THEM???NOT ME to chose? They chose THE EXCLUSIONS CO-PAYS AND DEDUCTABLE AMOUNT?? THE PLANS they choose from are merely HOW MANY EXCLUSIONS AND OUT OF MY POCKET EXPENSE I GET. I chose merely a option 1 for non-smokers or option 2, where you pay more.
I DONT GET THESE 100s OF CHOICES?? WHAT? ....HOW MANY EXCUTIONS. TO CHOOSE???SOME CHOICES.
I REMEMBER WHEN INSURANCE MENT A GUARENTEE. ALL WAS PAID. NO LIE.
--- Just now.... my employer can say...YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT WE CHOSE FOR YOU????GO SEE OBAMACARE.

Last edited by steeps; 10-02-2014 at 01:52 PM..

Old 10-05-2014, 01:30 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,744,449 times
The problem arises for someone like myself. I would like to take a 3-4 months off next year to go to Asia to spend time with my old parents.. during this time I don't want to carry health insurance since I will be in India where health care is very cheap, if something happens to me I will just pay cash for it (for example open heart surgery in India costs around $25,000 as opposed to $300,000 here in the US). Under Obamacare I am banned from doing that which I personally think is unconstitutional.

When I get back I am going to be self employed and buy a high deductible ($5000) policy. I have always taken such a policy during periods when I was a consultant in the past. It costs about $170/mo. for me as opposed to Obamacare Bronze which costs $350/mo. The reason the premiums are low is because a lot of the insurance payout is for trivial things under $5k. I am not really concerned about being covered for such trivial matters. I am more concerned about coverage for events that could possibly bankrupt me - such as being diagnosed with cancer or having a heart attack. I KNOW and I'm smart enough to understand how to manage my own risk, the government does not know me.

I don't understand why I don't have my own option of choosing the right policy for me based on the risk level I am willing to assume. I am a very healthy 40 year old and the chances that I will need emergency care are low. In addition I choose to assume the risk of paying for expenses within my deductible myself in exchange for a lower premium.

With Obamacare the policy that Obama deems fit is shoved down my throat whether I like it or not costing me twice as much.

I take care of my health and I am forced to subsidize those that do not - those that are obese, smoke and generally abuse their bodies.

Nothing is being done to actually reduce the cost of healthcare, reduce the consumption of diseases causing foods and increase subsidies to those who maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,955,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Also, as I recall the ACA was a big issue in the last presidential election. Given the election results and the current polling, it's hard to make the case that the majority of voters oppose the ACA.
This whole thread is based upon that fact..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I concentrate on voters, because they are the voices that, literally, count. I know of no way to tell for certain whether voters are a representative sample of all US citizens.
Thats not true.

We are a representative Republic, not a Democracy.

We elect people to do whats in the best interest of the nation, not those who vote. if you count those only who "vote", then this leaves out a large segment of the nation who has no voice, albeit their fault, or for other reasons.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
How many health insurance plans do you sign up for at any given time? Also, you can still pick one out of those ten options because those would be the options any insurance company would be offering.

Why would you want to give an insurance company money for a policy that doesn't cover anything? Tell me how that makes sense? Apparently you are upset because you can't give money to a company that doesn't cover anything with their junk policies.
how nice, we went from thousands of choices, to 10..

Democratic success.. give us less and charge us more.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Note, prior to Obama, this "junk policies" wasnt a word in our vocabulary.. People for the most part liked what they had..

Now, if you dont like ACA, you had a junk policy, even if you didnt..

Whats it feel like to defend getting less while paying more, while kicking millions off of insurance that they had?

I'd be embarassed, you're proud of it.. weird sense of morality you have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies