Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
When I travel in and out of the country I have to show my passport coming and going. The country I visit has to be stamped in the passport and it includes dates. There is no excuse not to know when someone comes in from Liberia even if they are arriving from another country. If they have been to Liberia in the last 30 days it's easy to see if the passport is checked.
How would that work in real life? Doesn't seem practical, to say the least, to expect every country (Brussels in this case) to check every stamp on every passport of every traveler passing through to every other country. And then - do what? - detain them, send them back to Liberia if they've visited there within the last 30 days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Does anyone think airport personnel will do a better job than the nurse that sent the patient home? One only has to look at failure of same people to detect much more obvious security violations at airports.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
How would that work in real life? Doesn't seem practical, to say the least, to expect every country (Brussels in this case) to check every stamp on every passport of every traveler passing through to every other country. And then - do what? - detain them, send them back to Liberia if they've visited there within the last 30 days?
Sounds like a variation of the Tom Hanks movie, Terminal. Can you imagine?

It assumes Liberia or Sierra Leone is stamping passports. I have no idea to what extent international commercial carriers track and share passenger data.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The point would be to look at the passport when they come into this country and if they have been in Liberia in the last 30 days then the CDC could be notified and do their job if anything is required.
But it makes the whole point useless if what was explained already about countries not being required to stamp and date stays in a passport. I was not aware of that. Mine has always been stamped.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:35 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I think we should suspend visas from Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. Nigeria seems to have their cases in check. Even if it is hard to catch, why put our citizens through the hassle.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are no direct flights from or to Liberia from the USA.

This guy went through Brussels(don't know how he got there), into JFK, down to Atlanta and over to Dallas
We don't know why this man flew to Brussels, but you are wrong about direct flights to the USA. I guess he was in too much of a hurry to wait for a direct flight .... or it could have been cheaper.

There are direct flights from Liberia to 12 difference cities in the USA.
American, Delta, United, Jet Blue, Copa, US Airways

Cities are:
Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, Chicago, Miami, Charlotte, New York, Atlanta, Boston, Minneapolis/St Paul,
Denver, Los Angelos, Newark

Direct Flights between US Cities and Liberia

Delta, US Air & American have the most flights.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We don't know why this man flew to Brussels, but you are wrong about direct flights to the USA. I guess he was in too much of a hurry to wait for a direct flight .... or it could have been cheaper.

There are direct flights from Liberia to 12 difference cities in the USA.
American, Delta, United, Jet Blue, Copa, US Airways

Cities are:
Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, Chicago, Miami, Charlotte, New York, Atlanta, Boston, Minneapolis/St Paul,
Denver, Los Angelos, Newark

Direct Flights between US Cities and Liberia

Delta, US Air & American have the most flights.
You are looking at flights between the U.S. and LIB, an airport in Costa Rica.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
The point would be to look at the passport when they come into this country and if they have been in Liberia in the last 30 days then the CDC could be notified and do their job if anything is required.
But it makes the whole point useless if what was explained already about countries not being required to stamp and date stays in a passport. I was not aware of that. Mine has always been stamped.
I'm not sure what the CDC, assuming it has the manpower, could do considering reports that the man did not show any signs of infection when he traveled.
This would seem to be more a matter of visa control. There have been news reports that the US had already drastically reduced the number of visas issued to Liberians but that's difficult to prove. Of course, that would bypass the issue of US citizens returning home.

I'm just not sure we can do a good job at playing nanny state. I've reluctantly accepted the post 9/11 security measures but am not ready to go down this road. When I travel overseas, I don't want to have to take a blood test to return home, and that's where I see this going.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:10 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
I'm not a believer in anyone being ask to give up their protections under the Constitution by corporations, public or private individuals. Why have them at all if someone can take them so easily on any claim they want to make.

I view this as a test and the terrorist are watching to see how we react. If we will allow something in that could create a pandemic then maybe that would be something to consider for their sick little minds. That's what war is all about, looking for the weakness in the armor of your enemy.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I view this as a test and the terrorist are watching to see how we react. If we will allow something in that could create a pandemic
I doubt anyone wants to allow something in that could create a pandemic. The question is, do you stop a person (including US citizens trying to return home) from entering the US even if they have no signs or symptoms and might not have even been exposed?
And more important, if you think we should stop them, how exactly do you accomplish that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies